The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2024-01-05 08:35:03

zapper

Re: USA Foods

Having alnost a third of the public be uneducated and being able to vote and believing whatever trash people pull our of their ass, will keep this stuff going for many years to come if history is any guide.

More on topic though, I avoid the really processed crap as much as possible. Hell, I try to go all organic.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#52 2024-01-05 12:13:54

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

One of the "Insurance Companies" that my employer formerly used (I don't recall the name of said company) was very involved in trying to get us healthier. They gave incentives for "doing this" and "doing that". Incentives like...reach an X number of points for completing certain things, and you'll receive an Amazon Gift Card, things from their own store, etc...

During that time was when I really learned about healthy living. I was down with it. I lost over 60 lbs, got my blood pressure to normal levels, and felt better overall...all just by changing my diet and walking 4 days a week.

I was kind of sad when my employer dropped them; however, I still have that knowledge (if my amnesiastics allow me tongue ).

Is it fun? No. Is it worth it? Yes.

Today, I will eat another salad for every meal. Tomorrow (Saturday), is my one day (each week) to eat whatever I want. Sometimes I splurge and eat a pizza, Subway sandwich, etc...mostly now though, I eat salads. smile

#53 2024-01-05 18:16:41

quickfur

"Organic" these days is nothing more than a label to justify selling your produce at a higher price. It's not regulated at all, and it's anybody's guess whether you're actually conforming to "organic" processes in the production of your produce. There have been scandals of supposedly "organic" foods containing just the same amounts, if not higher, of pesticides and other contaminants -- because nobody enforces the checks, it's nothing more than a paper trail. Even conforming manufacturers often end up using higher amounts of pesticides than regular produce, because "organic" pesticides are less potent and therefore you have to use more of it to achieve the same effect, without which your production will greatly suffer and you'd be selling at a loss.

If you really care about organic food, you're much better off growing your own in your own garden, where you can actually be sure about what you're getting, not what somebody claims you're getting.

Last edited by quickfur (2024-01-05 18:17:00)

#54 2024-01-05 18:25:03

golinux
Administrator

WOW! Even I am not that cynical because I have know too many folks trying to do the right thing the right way . . .

All I know is that whatever I'm eating/doing keeps my system happy . . .

#55 2024-01-05 18:36:05

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

All that I can say is...

If you shop for groceries at a certain USA chain store...cough-cough...Wal...cough-cough...Mart, and the chicken breasts are as big as a turkey's breast (or bigger)...

...it p...r...o...b...a...b...l...y has a bunch'a nasty junk in it.

#56 2024-01-05 20:57:01

quickfur

I'm not saying nobody is doing things the right way. I'm sure there are some, perhaps even many, who are trying to do it right.  The problem is that there are also scammers, profiteers, and scoundrels taking advantage of the non-regulated nature of the "organic" label to make a quick buck, consequences be damned.  And there's also real practical challenges like organic pesticides being less effective than artificial ones. When confronted with losing a big chunk of your crop vs using more pesticides in order to save your harvest, how many would choose to do the Right Thing(tm)?  Maybe many would, but I certainly don't want to be betting my life on it.

The so-called "free range" movement is similar. Do you know what the definition of "free range" is? Check the labels carefully next time you see eggs being sold as "free range". Do a little research on your own. You may be shocked to learn that "free range", according to some definitions, merely means that the cage is a little larger than usual. Maybe by a few feet. Not what you'd imagine from the first impressions of the beautifully-made photography of grassy fields in the countryside that they use to decorate their cartons.

Maybe I'm just a pathological skeptic. But if you take a moment to think about what exactly it takes to be fully "organic" or "free range", and the scale of the enterprise needed to do this on a mass-production scale and the costs involved, the logistics and practicality of it all, how you'd solve problems like pests and soil fertilization without conventional means and how that might impact your production, then look at the quantity and availability of "organic" products and their price tag and what that means for the farmers who are ostensibly doing all of these superhuman feats with very restricted means at their disposal -- it all makes you start wondering, is this truly for real? It sound a little too good to be true.

#57 2024-01-05 21:20:12

golinux
Administrator

@quickfur . . . Did you read my posts at the beginning of this thread? I've been following and engaging in food quality issues since the 70s . . . long before there were any organic standards. If you want the whole story, try email . . .

#58 2024-01-06 02:18:07

zapper

@quickfur I was going to come down on you like a ton of bricks, but I saw your second post after mine and I realize you aren't doing what this one annoying pest did on my mastodon feed and saying this bunch of propaganda like he did.

What he is said is that old tired lying slogan of:

"sugar is sugar your body can't tell the difference"

This person also said that, I was being given propaganda from health food stores or w/e.

Ironically, he was the one giving propaganda...

Irony sometimes seems to have no bounds. Liars exist everywhere... some realize they are lying, some don't and some don't care or a mixture.

Anywho, yeah, there might be bad actors in the organic market. those naked drinks, I recall hearing they had their organic status revoked at one point for doing stuff like that...

Naked drinks as in, these are smoothies that were sold. Just a brand really.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#59 2024-01-06 02:33:09

quickfur

Lol I wasn't looking to engage in a heated debate here, only to say that the current state of "organic" is rather sad.

Also, I don't live in the US so the situation I describe may not necessarily apply there. There is a world outside of the US, believe it or not. 😉

#60 2024-01-07 05:52:03

zapper

@quickfur Nvm, I may have said too much thus, I am editing.

Last edited by zapper (2024-01-07 17:51:11)

Peace Be With us All!

#61 2024-01-07 06:04:57

quickfur

Sad to say, copyright bullies and patent trolls aren't limited to the US. They're everywhere, though they're especially bad in places with strong copyright enforcement policies. The policies are well-intentioned, at least initially anyway, but it inevitably devolves into a mafia power structure.

Anyway, that's off-topic even for this off-topic thread, so I'll shut up now 🤐

#62 2024-01-07 06:16:19

zapper

@quickfur Europe has the best structure towards copyright of the ones that enforce it. Now I will shut up too, feel free to pm me if you wish to talk more. lol

Peace Be With us All!

#63 2024-01-07 17:47:53

zapper

@golinux sorry then, it is a habit of mine. Feel free to delete that part or all of the post if you want.

Btw, I probably should re-read the code of conduct, I sometimes forget... as I emailed you.

Last edited by zapper (2024-01-07 17:48:30)

Peace Be With us All!

#64 2024-01-08 00:41:22

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

I had asked (early in this thread)..."How do we know if something labeled as "organic" is actually organic (or something like that...remember, I have Imnesiactoptosis. tongue ) Yes, I like making up new words n'stuff. tongue

In general, I can usually tell if something has been plowed over, under, and in-between with hormones, pesticides, steroids, salt-water injections, etc...despite them claiming that certain "items" have been bred to make larger "items" for consumption.

Just knowing that certain meats and produce have been "bred" (to produce larger quantities) makes me skeptical to trust any of those fools foods.

...but that's just me. big_smile

I'll take a brown egg over a white one any day. wink

EDIT: Sorry, I should have said, "Saline injections" instead of "salt-water injections" so I would'a sounded more professional n'stuff...

Last edited by The-Amnesiac-Philosopher (2024-01-08 00:54:56)

#65 2024-01-08 03:04:44

zapper

There is one time organic is not preferred, something like maple syrup that comes out of a wild tree, or if its seafood, or meat (assuming you know someone trustworthy to give you the wild meat!)

Peace Be With us All!

#66 2024-02-14 01:39:48

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

I decided to live on the edge today...broccoli and carrots (no seasoning), and chicken with a little Cayenne pepper...

I'm a wild man!!!

tongue

chicken-stuff.jpg

#67 2024-02-14 08:43:44

aluma

@The-Amnesiac-Philosophe
Bon appetite! smile

There is an opinion that all our illnesses begin from our brain. From this, the result will be determined by our thoughts while eating, by how we look at it.
If you were initially determined that this is harmful, then the result will be...
“Everything must be done with a smile” - impressions of the rules in a Buddhist monastery of one of the Western travelers.
This is after he brought two heaps of water while climbing a rock, and his mentor told him that he had to repeat it, but with a smile.

Last edited by aluma (2024-02-14 08:53:16)

#68 2024-02-14 11:35:13

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

Uncle aluma, I can't speak for everyone, but I have been amazed by this...

Long ago, I stopped putting seasonings on vegetables. My taste palate eventually changed. Now, I enjoy the taste(s) of the actual vegetables themselves instead of covering them with seasonings... smile

...on the rare occasions that I don't eat just a salad.

...and I smile. wink

Last edited by The-Amnesiac-Philosopher (2024-02-14 12:44:28)

#69 2024-02-14 15:46:02

golinux
Administrator

aluma wrote:

There is an opinion that all our illnesses begin from our brain. From this, the result will be determined by our thoughts while eating, by how we look at it.

This tidbit of wisdom gifted to me many decades ago by a Burmese monk:

" Maybe you are what you eat but you become what you think."

#70 2024-02-14 17:34:58

aluma

@golinux

....gifted to me many decades ago by a Burmese monk:

So I suspected that there was something in this! smile

My forum experience dates back to 2005, and when I came here I was pleasantly surprised by the friendly spirit and mood of the forum. Of course this is the merit of the administrators.

This is not meant as petty sycophancy, but rather “what needs to be said must be said.”

Regards.

#71 2024-02-14 20:44:04

golinux
Administrator

@aluma . . .  smile

Imagine rain flowing down a mountain. It does not flow in just one channel. There are many channels that branch off and form ponds or even lakes. So it is with our wanderings in space and time that have brought us together in the Devuan pond. It sustains a very unique collection of individuals the likes of which I have not encountered elsewhere in over 8 decades of searching . . .

#72 2024-02-19 21:27:25

recklessswing

My uncle who lived in USA for 20 years, say that meat from Türkiye tastes superior to the ones in USA. He says it's because of CAFO feeding operation. Cows in USA don't eat and forage naturally like Türkiye's. So naturally we have better tasting meat, we don't have that much CAFO operations as of now.

#73 2024-02-24 22:10:13

zapper

@golinux sadly that is true, you are what you think. Why sad? Because many people mis-use this without knowing it or sometimes worse still, wilfully.

Glad some people do this right. Though I definitely struggle with this sometimes. Exercise, helps me beat this sometimes, but that usually requires a specific amount of effort for that. wink

Peace Be With us All!

Board footer