The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-22 01:42:12

brocashelm

[SOLVED] Quote Button

What happened to the quote button? I'm not seeing it anymore. Did you actually remove it? If so... Why?

I understand not lazily quoting an entire post to address a specific point (but hardly a "waste of bytes", as has been claimed -- you ought to just disable avatars and signatures, since those are every bit as unnecessary and can be "distracting"), but this just inconveniences responsible users who want to respond to a specific point of a previous post, but don't want to have to also highlight portions of a post to quote.

That just discourages communication in a support community, if anything. Abusive or careless users will still highlight entire posts and use the quote tags as they like, so you might as well just disable quote tags, too.

I don't think this was a good move.

#2 2024-01-22 01:57:21

golinux
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Quote Button

That happened some weeks ago and yours is the first post mentioning it afaicr. Everyone has adapted quite nicely and the posts have been much easier to follow without all the unnecessary clutter of repetition. There is a quote button available in the line at the top of the reply and quick reply functions.  smile

#3 2024-01-22 05:25:04

pcalvert

I also noticed the absence of the quote button.

This is my workaround:

[quote=$username]
$text-to-quote
[/quote]

Replace "$username" with the person's username.
Replace "$text-to-quote" with the text that you would like to quote.

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.
Another one is called Luxxle.

#4 2024-01-22 10:18:54

Camtaf

Hadn't noticed, & don't miss it - happy enough to just quote the salient points myself in a reply.... smile

#5 2024-01-22 18:01:24

JWM-Kit
Website

I think it's a wonderful changes.  To many people were quoting giant walls of text. Many including multiple previous quotes.
Doing it manually is simple enough.  I had a habit of using the quote button and then trimming it down to the key part, but its easy to adapt.

#6 2024-01-22 20:35:57

brocashelm

I can see that my feedback fell on deaf ears. All clicking on [*quote] does is add a [*quote][*/quote] string to my post (asterisks are there because FluxBB apparently fails to parse things dynamically), which proves what I'm saying about having to highlight a post to add it to a reply. All this move does is punish good users for the actions of a relatively few bad ones. Why is this so difficult to understand?

And, how does that actually encourage people to stick around, especially when there have been MULTIPLE ad hominem attacks coming straight from the administrators' mouths themselves? If I knew there was going to be so much hostility and bitterness coming from people in positions of power, I wouldn't have even bothered opening an account here, and simply sought support elsewhere.

This is not the first time that anyone has left this forum (I can recall at least several of them, some with serious potential to give back to Devuan, being ran off because of this nonsense), and it will certainly not be the last time. For all the bitching some of the individuals give about people "not putting in the effort", you ensure your fate by treating them like second-class citizens. If you want the project to fizzle out of existence, then keep showing zero regard for the users' feelings. I was hoping Devuan would've been different from all of this, but I guess I was wrong.

As much as I dislike the act of distrohopping, maybe I'll just suck it up and change my repositories to Debian's and accept that Systemd, Wayland, and UsrMerge are inevitable. In fact, as long as Elogind and Eudev are pulled in, Systemd will always win.

Last edited by brocashelm (2024-01-22 20:49:32)

#7 2024-01-22 21:42:05

GlennW

Fascism is the new fashion! And then there's LinuxQuestions.org...

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#8 2024-01-22 22:36:34

rolfie

Ladies and gentlemen, calm down, get your emotions down.

I don't care if the quote button is still available or not. I can use the quote function the way it I want to use it.

Devuan is a great deriviate of Debian w/o systemd, and nothing more, it won't save the world. The Devuan team is small and just capable of doing a great job of supplying replacements for some packages that need alternatives. But they can't save the FOSS world from changing. And changes not related to systemd that drip down from Debian may simply need to be accepted (e.g. this su - issue, usrmerge ... ). And the Devuan team is not responsible for Window managers, X11, and other topics that are requested.

I am very happy Devuan exists.

This forum is a user forum that is supposed to help users, and nothing that is relevant to coding and design of software.

If I speak for myself, I am a hardware engineer. I was happy about writing one or the other XLS macro during my business life. I would never be able to code anything more complicated than such things. And I guess we have 99% of contributors here that are sort of the same, mainly users. Don't bitch at the moderators.

Just my two cents ...

Last edited by rolfie (2024-01-22 22:45:16)

#9 2024-01-22 23:03:16

golinux
Administrator

rolfie wrote:

Devuan is a great derivatve of Debian w/o systemd, and nothing more, it won't save the world. The Devuan team is small and just capable of doing a great job of supplying replacements for some packages that need alternatives. But they can't save the FOSS world from changing. And changes not related to systemd that drip down from Debian may simply need to be accepted (e.g. this su - issue, usrmerge ... )

Thank you for "getting it" rolfie!

Just earlier today on IRC, this from LeePen clarifying the path for Devuan users to take:

<LeePen> golinux: the solution for end users is to install usrmerge.

Caveat is that it has to be done in a certain order and there may currently be bugs/inconsistencies during the transition. While many have had no issue doing so, I am staying in the safe harbor of Chimaera or Daedalus until the kinks get worked out and the dust settles . . .

PS @brocashelm . . . FWIW . . . I get no asterisk using the the quote button on this forum.

#10 2024-01-23 00:06:45

alexkemp

golinux wrote:

usrmerge ... I am staying in the safe harbor of Chimaera or Daedalus until the kinks get worked out and the dust settles

+1

#11 2024-01-23 12:14:35

Altoid

Hello:

Please excuse this rather off-topic (not 'Quote Button' related) post.

golinux wrote:

<LeePen> golinux: the solution for end users is to install usrmerge.

Indeed.

Altoid @DNG wrote:

--- snip ---
Like I have said before, this */usr merge* thing is nothing but
a smoke and mirrors act to distract Devuan from the very real menace
posed by systemd and its second stage, the dropping of support for
sysvinit.

Not being a dev or a coder, I am still rather at odds with the /usr
merge idea but I can work with it being so (ie: I don't care one way
or another), as long as the distribution I am using is both
consistent through installs/updates/upgrades *and* works properly/as
expected.

To rid the Devuan collective of said distraction a decision *has* to
be made and a course to follow set.

ASAP. 

My take is that Devuan should (once and for all) just accept that the
/usr merge thing is a fact of life and get on with seeing about the
most important issue in front of it:

Its survival as a "Debian dependent" Linux distribution.
--- snip ---

That said, I can clearly understand that this homogenization of all things Debian/Devuan with respect to the file system tree can (and most probably will) offer a more standardised way to attack any Debian based Linux system, but we will all just have to be more vigilant and careful.

This usrmerge is just one battle, not the war.
Some battles must be avoided to be able to stand and be able to fight another, more important one.   

Devuan can and will eventually be able to work around this usrmerge issue.
In my opinion (YMMV), a minor one.

I think that there are other Devuan users [many?/a lot?] that are in the same boat as I am and if so, it may be a good thing to consider that this usrmerge thing be the default from whatever Devuan version our overworked/understaffed devs/admis think would be least problematic onwards.

If interested, full post here.
Also see this article at ElReg.

Liam Proven @The Register wrote:

"The 255th version of systemd is here, banishing support* for split and unmerged /usr directories but enriching its UKI boot support."
--- snip ---
"... this release requires** distributions to have completed the /usr merge process."
--- snip ---

*  underline is mine
** emphasis by article's author

Best,

A.

Last edited by Altoid (2024-01-23 23:36:08)

#12 2024-01-24 15:19:56

boughtonp
Website

golinux wrote:

I get no asterisk using the the quote button on this forum.

You appear to have missed the part of brocashelm's post stating the "asterisks are there because FluxBB apparently fails to parse things dynamically".

In other words, they added the asterisks because FluxBB is badly written, and complains if one tries to use "[c][quote][/c]", and the easiest workaround is to insert a dummy character.

-
The point they were trying to make is that clicking a button to add empty quote tags is near worthless - typing two tags is trivial. The lack of a per-post option makes it harder to keep track of things one might want to reply to.

3.1415P265E589T932E846R64338

#13 2024-01-24 16:11:45

golinux
Administrator

Yeah . . . I didn't quite catch that. Thanks.

Everybody has their way of doing things and any change is guaranteed upset someone.

I was both surprised and delighted to find that function missing when I wanted to use it myself a few weeks ago but I adjusted and am happy with the overall improvement to readability of this forum. It is easy enough to assign the quote to a specific user and c/p any needed text.

#14 2024-01-24 18:09:57

aluma

Technologies and capabilities are changing, and the rules that were adopted for Fido today, with the massive use of smartphones with touch screens, are more likely to interfere.
For the sake of curiosity, check out the dpreview forum, I assure you that no one died from cross-quoting.

I can only regret that the computer forum does not have the ability to create a simple function - a button for copying selected text, without the need to insert tags and then get the cursor to paste it in the right place.

#15 2024-01-24 19:08:04

golinux
Administrator

@aluma . . . All the niceties needed to pimp out your posts are available on this line above the "Quick reply" and "Post reply" write options:

Quick reply - [ u] [ b]  [ i] [ c] [ del] [ ins] [ em] [ color][ h] [ code] [ quote] [ url] [ list] [ *]

(Spaces added to allow line to be posted)

#16 2024-01-24 20:01:24

aluma

@golinux
You are in charge here and of course we must adhere to your rules. I don’t care, I have a lot of time, my mouse is at hand. Is it convenient for others? But that's it...

Regards.

Last edited by aluma (2024-01-24 20:01:58)

#17 2024-01-24 20:14:20

golinux
Administrator

aluma wrote:

You are in charge here . . .

It just happens that I picked the short straw because I have more time to be online than the other mods . . .   wink

Board footer