The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-22 20:21:33

Ron

Xfinity Data Breach

If you are an Xfinity customer, they recently had a major data breach.

https://arstechnica.com/security/2023/1 … passwords/

#2 2023-12-22 20:30:16

quickfur

Re: Xfinity Data Breach

This is why I'm a big skeptic of the cloud hype and this whole "application over the network" thing. "Entrust your data to us, we're a big corporation, we have the resources and expertise to guard your data." Yeah right. More like "single point of failure: if AWS goes down, 1/4 of the web also goes down. If it gets hacked, then ... 1/4 of the population gets hacked?" *shrug*

#3 2023-12-22 21:34:14

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

At least Communist-cast...I mean...Comcast waited a long time to patch it... tongue

Another reason why I want to move our family to Panama, live on the beach, and be cut off...I wouldn't miss all of this kind of mess at all. smile

#4 2023-12-22 21:51:27

quickfur

You may want to escape to Panama, but the cellphone will bring the mess to Panama with you. wink

BTW, the mobile scene is even messier. Big corporations duking it out and even supposedly Linux-based OSes like Android actually only use the Linux kernel, and even then, heavily customized and shielded from the user. It might as well be Windows NT for all I care, and the user wouldn't know the difference. (Except maybe having to reboot a lot more often. tongue)

One of these days I really need to take a break from the world of corporate competition and install Devuan on my mobile device.  Has anybody done this before?  And I mean done it to the point that's actually usable for day-to-day use, not just a proof-of-concept "see I can do it" deal.

#5 2023-12-22 22:20:48

golinux
Administrator

quickfur wrote:

Has anybody done this before?  And I mean done it to the point that's actually usable for day-to-day use, not just a proof-of-concept "see I can do it" deal.

Yes . . . this Devuan derivative. It has been around for many years. May not work on you device though . . .

#6 2023-12-22 23:12:40

quickfur

Yeah, I have an Android phone. I sold out to Google. sad (Well, better than selling out to that walled garden that is iOS, IMO tongue)

But I did hear rumors online of people jailbreaking their Android phone and installing a regular Linux distro on it. I guess I could experiment with this on my older, now-unused phones to see how far I can go in making Devuan run on it.  I wouldn't know what to use for the touchscreen UI, though; obviously the usual Devuan desktop environment isn't going to work.

Board footer