The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2023-12-03 05:11:09

zapper

Re: USA Foods

golinux wrote:

@zapper . . . if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. What have you actually DONE lately to turn the tide besides ranting at forces beyond your control?

I avoid non-organic stuff that much is something I do that is useful on this issue.

I block ads as much as possible also with regard to the data center issue I mention elsewhere.

Ads very often have spyware behind them.

Yes, I do rant too much, I guess I just get frustrated by the stupidity of my fellow human willing to surrender to google and microsoft completely and the foods that are the crappiest, etc...

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#27 2023-12-03 06:19:09

aluma

zapper wrote:

...I guess I just get frustrated by the stupidity of my fellow human willing to surrender to google and microsoft completely and the foods that are the crappiest, etc...

I look at this matter this way: any fanaticism is dangerous. “In the name of the Lord,” humanity has killed more people than for other reasons.
Second, only angels are white, only devils are black, people are gray.
And first of all, you should strive to whiten yourself.
But it’s difficult, it’s easier to worry about all of humanity as a whole. smile

P.S. And looking at the photos of people here, for example, and comparing them with modern ones, I want to say, “Stop eating!” smile
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr … /page-3825

Last edited by aluma (2023-12-03 06:29:56)

#28 2023-12-03 17:31:17

Ron

Eating organic (if it really is organic) is great, if you can afford it. If everybody would just cut down on stuff made with white flour and white sugar that would go a long way. And for the sake of your body, stop consuming soda pop, even so-called "diet" pop.

#29 2023-12-03 17:33:28

andyp67

Listen to Diseases by Michigan & Smiley.
Well, starting with the bread & milk,
milk = synthetic antibiotics steroids hormones, bread = glyphosate antibiotic.
Supposedly in Britain we produce wheat for humans, bollocks, the weather's shit, we produce wheat for animal feed for export.
We get our wheat from France and Canada, post Brexit mind, mainly from Canada.
They don't seem to have food regulations in Canada, if I eat that stuff I get instant gastric reflux which will lead to gall bladder removal.
When I live in Greece I eat bread but in Britain I eat pasta and not any old pasta.
A lot of people in Britain simply say that they are allergic to wheat and dairy which shuts everybody up.
A lot of people who appear to be fat useless bastards are actually a fat & toxins bandage around the trauma.
If you're really concerned about your present genetic modification and alteration which will render your children and grandchildren sterile, check out Zach Bush on the tube.

#30 2023-12-03 19:48:52

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

Thanks for everyone's input; I greatly appreciate it!

Basically, I eat organic salads every day (greens, carrots, cucumbers, bell pepper, onions, tomatoes, sunflower seeds, etc)...with organic chicken in it...and use red wine vinegar (with a dash of mustard) as dressing. Sometimes, I like to stir things up and live on the wild side by using Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar as the dressing. tongue

I allow myself one day a week (usually only one meal that day) to eat whatever I want.

That (along with walking daily) has really seemed to make a difference for me.

I still long for Soy flavored Ramen Noodles, but I don't eat them...but I want to...but I don't. Hahaha!

#31 2023-12-03 21:42:46

golinux
Administrator

@The-Amnesiac-Philosopher . . . You are going in the right direction. Keep on truckin'!

#32 2023-12-04 02:41:24

greenjeans
Website

LOL! @steve_v, love me some motorhead, the ace of spades is a favorite!

Interesting thread y'all. Back in 2008 after years of living in the city and eating crap, met my wife and we moved to the country and started gardening and raising chickens and making/preserving a lot of our own food, and long story short, the benefits to our health were ASTOUNDING.  Health improved, allergy issues seemed to disappear, I felt 10 years younger.

Fast forward: Had to live in a city again for the last 4 years, health went to s**t, tired, aching, sinus infections and ulcers returned, we didn't even dare drink the city water that came out of our tap, it stank of chlorine and the poo they were desperately trying to cover up with the chlorine, it was just miserable.

Now: Finally bought our own place, will be installing half an acre of garden in the spring and raising more chickens, I can't tell you how excited we are, we have clean water again, clean air, and good soil and already feeling better, y'all should stop by if you're ever in the area. big_smile

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#33 2023-12-04 13:16:23

aluma

I felt 10 years younger

I live in a big city, but in my own house with a piece of land.
And the reason for feeling better may be simple - an active lifestyle. There is nothing to do in an apartment in a multi-story building except lie on the sofa. smile

And in your house you are an electrician, a plumber, a carpenter, a peasant and a bunch of other things.
No gyms or exercise equipment required. smile

#34 2023-12-04 15:10:45

trinidad
Website

“In the name of the Lord,” humanity has killed more people than for other reasons

Fantasy fallacy. Conquests and genocides by monotheistic peoples are simply the most historically documented and not necessarily the worst or most in history, and in fact more likely not to be. Humans have always slaughtered each other and the worst of these examples are far more likely to be uncivilized and illiterate and thus historically undocumented. Saving the stone age is no way forward for civilized humans. There is no innocence there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Pillars_of_Wisdom

TC

#35 2023-12-04 15:40:24

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

greenjeans wrote:

we didn't even dare drink the city water that came out of our tap, it stank of chlorine and the poo they were desperately trying to cover up with the chlorine big_smile

My career has been in water treatment. Believe it or not, if you smell chlorine in your tap water, that actually means that it needs more chlorine. I won't go into the science behind it. tongue

If you had a funky smell, that was probably due to an algae bloom (or possibly hydrogen sulfide from decaying organics) in the source water.

Sounds like they needed to treat that smell (and probably weren't), and they needed to go up on the chlorine only if flushing the main lines of the system didn't help do away with the chlorine smell.

Now, with all of that said, I may work in water treatment...but I don't drink the water. wink

I know too much...unless I've forgotten some of it. smile

#36 2023-12-04 16:13:26

aluma

@trinidad

Conquests and genocides by monotheistic peoples are simply the most historically documented and not necessarily the worst or most in history

I won’t argue, this is not exactly the place where such issues should be discussed.
I just want to remind you that in addition to conquests, people killed their brothers in their own country based on religious differences (Catholics, Protestants, etc.)

@The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

If you had a funky smell, that was probably due to an algae bloom (or possibly hydrogen sulfide from decaying organics) in the source water.

This may be a consequence of the reaction of organic matter with chlorine. Chemical control devices are also my specialty, similar incident occurred at the power plant where I worked.

Regards.

Last edited by aluma (2023-12-04 16:20:08)

#37 2023-12-05 16:47:30

andyp67

When I am rambling in Greece, not off road but on road, there are places with so little traffic that I can drink the water straight out of the gutter.
When I am in Britain I never drink tap water straight, and question that all places that serve drink and food should activated charcoal filter.
My daily water needs are 500/750ml for coffee, 250ml for cooking, and 500ml to water down wine.
Depends where I am, If I can get wild water I do, I don't always have to 'process' but Britain is not really wild and I am mindful of liver tick.
I use bottled water some, but I do use tap water.
I boil it up in a kettle, just a quick boil, I don't think I need 5 minutes.
Then I let it cool.
Then I chill it in the fridge.
Then it goes through a typical activated charcoal filter.
I find the filters last for three months always chilled.
I havn't grown two heads and my balls havn't rolled out the bottom of my trousers.
Please be critical of my methodology.

#38 2023-12-06 18:04:59

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

aluma wrote:

This may be a consequence of the reaction of organic matter with chlorine. Chemical control devices are also my specialty, similar incident occurred at the power plant where I worked.

Regards.

I will trust you on this smile ; however, it seems to be a little different scenario than what I'm familiar with in "drinking water"???

From what I know...when chlorine reaches its demand peak, it will then start to break down...and produce by-products...which can cause bad health concerns.

That's why citizens on a public water supply should request that the lines be flushed on a regular basis...especially on a closed system (water lines that are in a closed loop)...or on dead-end lines (lines that don't go anywhere after they end).

ANY public water service SHOULD flush their lines at a minimum of twice a year. More so if they are a closed loop system or have dead-end lines; however, they don't want to do that, because it's basically throwing money down the drain. Yes, my employer hates me for me trying to enforce this. tongue

Money wins...

I would be interested to know more about the situation that you mentioned. Was the pH high (over 8.0)...what was the temperature in °C...et-al? You don't have to mention it here (unless you're comfortable with that); you can private message me.

You just got my brain working trying to figure it out. Hahaha!

smile

Last edited by The-Amnesiac-Philosopher (2023-12-06 18:06:44)

#39 2023-12-06 20:54:13

aluma

@The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

Unfortunately, I can’t tell you much, just the general picture.
Power plant, water intake from wells near the river. One spring, organic matter appeared in the water after chemical cleaning. Later it disappeared, but repeated itself every spring.
And the smell of water for domestic purposes was not quite ordinary.
Our chemists suggested that this is due to melting snow and pollution of the river with organic matter from melt water. At that time I was in charge of the operation of the station’s instruments and automation and did not delve particularly into the problems of chemists.

Regards.

#40 2023-12-06 21:08:58

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

Okay...no problem.

One thing that I've learned through the years (after working at different water plants)...every water plant is different, and what works at one plant doesn't necessarily work at others (DESPITE what any professional manuals may say). The source water sets the standard...not the (cough-cough) manual. wink

Thanks for the info!

#41 2023-12-06 22:14:28

aluma

...and what works at one plant doesn't necessarily work at others...

No two mineral deposits have the same composition. I also learned this from my own experience. smile

#42 2023-12-07 15:58:16

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

cool

#43 2023-12-12 00:48:51

zapper

“In the name of the Lord,” humanity has killed more people than for other reasons

I agree with the poster that responded to you, but I should also add, people take many things out of context beyond just religion.

Whether something is good or not, is not how its used, its the purpose and intention behind it.

Love is the most important commandment in the bible. However, when they speak of love, its not romantic love purely or conditional love either. It's a goal to be unconditionally love.

Sources? Jesus says that is the most important commandment in the bible.

I had a reality check recently, it seems, the climate might not die in the near future, to the point where humans all die at once at least if I consult the God I claim to serve from the Bible.

This being said, every attempt to do things the easy way, don't rock the boat of the powerful type vibe, will always have consequences.

If people try to prevent rocking the boat, the best thing to do is not to surrender to those type of people, the powerful/rich.

Its better to have to hear their cries and screams then to give them what they want.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#44 2023-12-14 21:19:11

newblicious
Website

I live in a city where our supermarkets are filled with imported junk food from various countries: primarily Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Turkey, Spain, and the US.

I've tried a bit of everything, and it's really only the snacks from the US that give me a horrible stomache ache. I've always wondered why that is.

#45 2023-12-14 22:48:50

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

newblicious wrote:

I live in a city...

O...H......M...Y......W...O...R...D......!!!

You're from Panama!

That's one of the countries on our "short list" to move to when I retire in a few years!

Would you be willing to send me an email and give me any advice about moving to Panama? Anything? Anything at all?

#46 2023-12-14 23:08:57

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

...by the way, I use arch...thanks to everyone who has commented on this thread. I have looked at all of the links provided and found them quite interesting...including the Motorhead link. I could listen to that --> shite <-- all day long...but that's me.  big_smile

...by the way, I don't use arch, and I have no use for it or its spawns, but I wish well to those who do.

I spent several years using both sid and ceres (unstable), and after so long, the constant updates got tiresome...but at least I had the latest and greatest!!! tongue  ...even though they broke at times...but at least I had them, because I had them n'stuff...even though they may have broken at times...but at least I had them.

What that has to do with this thread...I don't know. tongue

Last edited by The-Amnesiac-Philosopher (2023-12-14 23:09:37)

#47 2023-12-14 23:47:07

newblicious
Website

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher wrote:
newblicious wrote:

I live in a city...

Would you be willing to send me an email and give me any advice about moving to Panama? Anything? Anything at all?

Sure. I don't see where to PM you. Send me a message on where we can chat.

#48 2023-12-21 02:02:00

czeekaj

sugar. Americans love sugar. Or at least they don't object to companies forcefully packing that processed garbage into their processed food. Or they ignorantly ingest it and can't figure out why they can't lose weight.

If you want a real 'conspiracy' look into all the food processing plants that were going up in flames all at the same time
https://www.visiontimes.com/2022/04/21/ … nters.html
Quite easy to find articles on the matter.

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher wrote:

Now, with all of that said, I may work in water treatment...but I don't drink the water. wink

I know too much...unless I've forgotten some of it. smile

:3
I understand the chlorine evaporates. You can let it sit for a bit and the smell will dissipate.
But my filters take care of all that.

I wish I had time to eat tons of veggies every day. But I just get veggie juice and put some Tabasco spice in it to ensure I get my veggies in me I usually keep a stock of them and buy some bottles everytime at the store. It's almost always on sale too. Then when I get time to cook I am using tons of brassicas. Like Broccoli, kale, and mustard in my stew. Then tons of Lentils and barley smile

Last edited by czeekaj (2023-12-21 02:08:02)

#49 2023-12-21 11:35:38

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

newblicious wrote:

Sure. I don't see where to PM you. Send me a message on where we can chat.

Hi! I just saw this. Thank you! I sent you an email through the forum.

Thanks again!

#50 2023-12-21 11:39:50

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

czeekaj wrote:

But my filters take care of all that.

Do you have faucet filters or a "whole house" filter?

Either way, and you probably already know this...just make sure that you change out the filters at their recommended intervals, or you risk growing all kinds of nastiness in them. wink

Board footer