You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-20 10:29:29

HextorBRX

Ethernet and WiFi cards not recognized

MSI GP62 6QE-806XFR
Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165

Hello

From my experience, Devuan usually fails to detect newest WiFi cards (even with iwlwifi), although other distributions do. For now, I can only install Devuan on old machines. It's a shame because it is my favorite distribution. I wish I could install it on newer machines as well!

My Ethernet and WiFi cards are not recognized on my MSI GP62 6QE-806XFR Leopard Pro. How would you proceed?

Many thanks

P.S. If I may, all distributions detect my Ethernet card, except Devuan. I noticed that Debian-based distributions are a little bit behind regarding hardware support.

Last edited by HextorBRX (2017-08-20 11:00:13)

#2 2017-08-20 12:27:58

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Ethernet and WiFi cards not recognized

Debian is always behind others in software versions. That's one of the features. (older=better tested)

What kernel versions are in the distros that work on this system? I made an unofficial live iso with the 4.9 kernel from backports. That might be new enough for your hardware. That's here -
http://distro.ibiblio.org/refracta/file … 0_1501.iso
(sha256sum and .asc files are in the same directory)

#3 2017-08-20 16:27:47

HextorBRX

Thanks for your reply.

Parrot 3.7 (Debian) - kernel 4.11 - Ethernet (yes) WiFi (yes)
Calculate Linux 17.6 (Gentoo) - kernel 4.9.34 - Ethernet (yes) WiFi (yes)

I have not been able to launch the ISO you gave me. I chose the default installation (first option) and this error keeps appearing every 23s: https://www.noelshack.com/2017-33-7-150 … -msi-1.jpg

Is there an option for a standard or a graphical installer? I usually cannot launch Linux Live CDs with my computer.

#4 2017-08-20 18:19:55

fsmithred
Administrator

The second post in this thread suggests trying some different boot options with msi laptops.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2313838

Try the no-probe or failsafe option in the boot menu or some combination of the options listed there. You can see the boot command by pressing the TAB key (for isolinux, booting bios) or 'e' (for grub, booting uefi). 

Or try adding 'single' to the boot command and see if you can boot to single-user mode.

The last message is from xorg. The xorg in the iso is just the jessie version. It's not from backports. If you feel like experimenting, there's a live iso made from ascii that has newer xorg. It also has openrc and eudev. Wireless firmware is not installed, but the packages are there to be installed without a network.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/refracta/file … 3_2222.iso
(note: logins and passwords are different on this iso: root/root and user/user)

#5 2017-08-20 19:53:10

HextorBRX

The only thing that works for sure is to turn off acpi but I won't do as it reduces battery life. The other boot options (single-user, failsafe etc) did not work with other distros. I will give it a try though.

I think I have better chances with ascii (and I don't mind testing, on the contrary) but I want a LXDE desktop, preferably. Also, there was no installer when I launched the live CD in VirtualBox.

The easiest way for me would be a command-line installer similar to BSD systems, if you have one.

Thanks again.

Last edited by HextorBRX (2017-08-20 20:09:34)

#6 2017-08-20 20:28:35

golinux
Administrator

HextorBRX wrote:

Also, there was no installer when I launched the live CD in VirtualBox.

Look for refractainstaller in the system menu.  Isn't there an icon on the desktop to launch it?

#7 2017-08-20 21:47:09

fsmithred
Administrator

The ascii iso is halfway to lxde. There is a command-line installer, but the way it is, it will only install if you booted legacy bios. If you booted uefi then use the graphical installer from the menu.

Run refractainstaller in a root terminal for the cli installer. (this one could install on uefi with a little hacking and manual steps in the install.)

Oh yeah, you may have already figured this out, but run 'startx' when that iso boots. There's no display manager.

#8 2017-08-21 02:07:28

fsmithred
Administrator

There's a problem with the installer's rsync excludes list when you use it in ascii. Add the following lines to /usr/lib/refractainstaller/installer_exclude.list so you don't end up copying the live system twice. I just saw this in a vbox install - the rsync output did not look right - a lot of usr/lib/live/mount was scrolling by.

# Added for symlink /lib
- /usr/lib/live/overlay
- /usr/lib/live/image
- /usr/lib/live/rootfs
- /usr/lib/live/mount

Oh, broadcom-sta-source depends on debhelper, which is not installed. Hm..

fungus, There's no display manager. Use 'startx'. Make sure you don't still have a copy of /etc/profile.d/zz-live-config_xinit.sh in the installed system. If you're still having problems after a reinstall, please start your own thread.

#9 2017-08-21 07:55:57

HextorBRX

Well, none of the options worked but it was worth trying. I only managed to launch two live CDs so far: Calculate Linux and BunsenLabs. A few Lenovo computers (e.g. Lenovo-z50-70) cannot launch Live CDs either, this problem is not specific to MSI computers.

no-probe:
https://www.noelshack.com/2017-34-1-150 … -msi-2.jpg

boot command single:
https://www.noelshack.com/2017-34-1-150 … -msi-3.jpg

As a comparison, SystemRescueCD (it is not Devuan):
https://www.noelshack.com/2017-34-1-150 … -msi-4.jpg

Are you going to release Live CDs for the future stable versions of Devuan? The only solution I can think of would be to install Devuan Jessie 1.0.0, then upgrade the kernel to the latest version offline. The thing is, I have never done it smile Any tips?

Last edited by HextorBRX (2017-08-21 08:38:52)

#10 2017-08-21 09:57:08

fsmithred
Administrator

It might be worth comparing the kernel configs between devuan and either bunsen or system rescue. Maybe those kernels have something compiled in that devuan doesn't have. Look at /boot/config-<version>. It might be possible to install devuan and then use another kernel that works properly with your system. (maybe a liquorix kernel) In that case, you could install ascii from the live iso (with acpi=off) and then replace the kernel.

You can install jessie on it from an installer CD and it boots ok after that? If you do a small install (no desktop, just standard system utilities) then upgrading to ascii should be pretty easy. But you need to have a network connection. You might just need the backports kernel and firmware-iwlwifi. That could be done by downloading packages and installing off-line.

There are some installation guides here - https://devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/

There will be live isos and regular installer isos for ascii. Sometime soon, I hope.

Edit: some interesting results on search for 'kernel watchdog bug soft lockup xorg'

#11 2017-08-21 10:40:10

HextorBRX

There will be live isos and regular installer isos for ascii.

This is good news! I have trouble finding ascii as well as unofficial isos with newer kernels. Where can I find them?

You can install jessie on it from an installer CD and it boots ok after that?

Yes, I can install and boot any OS as long as it has a command-line, standard or graphical installer. This is why I hope Devuan will keep releasing isos with regular installers.

comparing the kernel configs between devuan and either bunsen or system rescue

It was confusing. I can only install and boot 2 live CDs, namely Calculate Linux and BunsenLabs. I cannot start System Rescue, I wanted to show you that I always get the same errors:
"ACPI error"
or
"NMI watchdog BUG soft lockup CPU stuck for ..s"
Those who get these errors can always install and boot normally from a command-line, standard or graphical installer. Moreover, I don't find Live CDs indispensable as I only need to click twice on the "Next" button to find out whether I have an Internet connection or not.

#12 2017-08-21 13:02:22

fsmithred
Administrator

I compared the kernel configs between bunsenlabs live iso and devuan. They are identical (jessie 3.16). Maybe you could turn off acpi to boot a live iso and install it, then not have to turn it off in the installation. Just a guess. If you used the backports or ascii iso, you might get a network connection.

When the ascii installer isos get made, they will be at files.devuan.org probably in a directory called ascii or ascii-something. I'm hoping it will be no more than a month before there's an alpha release.

#13 2017-08-21 13:09:41

fungus
Website

if you switch # your jessie - ascii you can add ceres just for the linux image.  There is 4.12 available which is already a stable kernel, 4.13 is being worked on by the linux people.
It run fine on my older machine but may include hw-support you need.

#14 2017-08-21 15:30:08

HextorBRX

I compared the kernel configs between bunsenlabs live iso and devuan. They are identical (jessie 3.16).

Then it remains a mystery. I can launch a 3.16 live CD but not a 4.9 (the iso you gave me is a 4.9), very confusing. Anyways, I am not even sure I have an Ethernet connection with BunsenLabs. No WiFi, that's for sure.

Thank you for your suggestions. I bookmarked files.devuan.org and I will download the iso as soon as it is released. My WiFi card is usually recognized by Debian-based distributions with a 4.9 kernel or superior (e.g. Parrot), so ascii is my best bet.

Last edited by HextorBRX (2017-08-21 16:29:42)

#15 2017-08-21 22:13:26

fungus
Website

did you try the failsafe boot option?  That's the only one that worked for me, the rest I got a black screen.

#16 2017-08-22 08:19:46

HextorBRX

I tried the no-probe option. There was no failsafe option with the 4.9 iso.

I tried failsafe with other live CDs though and it never worked on this computer.

#17 2017-08-23 10:51:03

HextorBRX

For information, I can run MiyoLinux live CD, which is based on Devuan. (no network connection though)

#18 2017-08-23 11:35:26

fungus
Website

you may just need the appropriate firmware

eth  https://askubuntu.com/questions/670347/ … 00-drivers
ubuntu is based on debian, so except for systemd dependencies most of the instructions work on devuan as well.

wifi https://askubuntu.com/questions/672700/ … 65-drivers

Since you need an initial connection to download stuff either find the appropriate firmware****.deb download it with something else, save it somewhere where you can find it from devuan (usb stick??)
run $ sudo dpkg -i firmw*****.deb
or use sudo chroot /the_mount_point_of_your_devuan and use $ apt install firmw****

The first iso fsmithred mentioned, ending with 2222, had a /firmware directory with a ton of stuff.  When in doubt do $ dpkg -i * and install them all, you can always remove the ones you don't need later..

#19 2017-08-23 13:45:18

fsmithred
Administrator

That's weird. Your wireless is new enough that it requires kernel version 4.1 or newer but the computer only boots with 3.16. (see https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en … 05511.html )
I still think playing with the boot options or going into the bios to turn stuff off is where the solution lies.

BTW, some isos made with refractasnapshot have a failsafe boot option and some have a no-probe and a no-modeset option. The failsafe is the same as the no-probe with nomodeset added to it. I did that to eliminate a boot entry without eliminating the option in that entry. Feel free to experiment with the list of  "no*" options in those boot entries. You might only need one or two of them. At the boot menu, TAB gets you to the boot command where you can edit it.

#20 2017-08-23 16:35:45

fsmithred
Administrator

OK, here's one more thing you can try.

Boot the ascii iso (the one with openrc and eudev)
At the boot menu press TAB and add the word

nox11autologin

to the boot command. Then ENTER.
If you boot to a command line, run

sudo dpkg -i /firmware-iwlwifi*.deb
iwlist wlan0 scan   # to see if you detect any wireless networks
wicd-curses  # to set up a wireless connection

If you can get online, then part of the problem is solved, and we just need to figure out how to get X working.

#21 2017-08-23 20:23:59

greenjeans
Website

HextorBRX wrote:

For information, I can run MiyoLinux live CD, which is based on Devuan. (no network connection though)

I don't have a package list for the new Miyolinux, but I know some firmware was added. You might give one of my isos a try, I stuffed pretty much every wi-fi driver available in them including several extra Intel packages.

ETA: Okay just verified mine don't have the firmware you need either, they will more than likely boot but you won't have wi-fi, the firmware for your chip only works with 4.1 kernel or later......hmm............

I wonder if maybe you could get away with using the backported 4.9 kernel in jessie, and add just the 3165 firmware package? Just manually install the files in /lib/firmware/ ?

@fsmithred: Been mulling over trying to make a dual-kernel version of vuu-do, I think you need the newer ascii live-build packages to run snapshot with 4.9, but couldn't you just add the backported 4.9 as a second kernel, run snapshot using 3.16 session? If it works I also am curious about whether you could run a live-session with the 4.9 kernel or if the live grub menu could even offer that?

Last edited by greenjeans (2017-08-23 20:58:45)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#22 2017-08-24 11:37:45

fsmithred
Administrator

@greenjeans - newer live-boot and live-config (not live-build) are needed with 4.9 kernel due to changes from aufs to overlay. Start a separate thread about multiple kernels. I've done it in the past. Not sure if it's possible in this case.

#23 2017-08-24 14:00:41

HextorBRX

Hello I don't have Internet at home for now because I changed my ISP. I should have an operational network connection within two weeks. MiyoLinux told me about vuu-do, I shall give it a try. And yes, a dual-kernel version is a great idea: it would be the only devuan-based distribution for recent computers. Let me know if you decide to do this.

Edit: I chose the default/first option to boot MiyoLinux, no tweaking necessary.

Last edited by HextorBRX (2017-08-24 15:52:35)

#24 2017-08-24 22:05:43

greenjeans
Website

HextorBRX wrote:

Hello I don't have Internet at home for now because I changed my ISP. I should have an operational network connection within two weeks. MiyoLinux told me about vuu-do, I shall give it a try. And yes, a dual-kernel version is a great idea: it would be the only devuan-based distribution for recent computers. Let me know if you decide to do this.

Edit: I chose the default/first option to boot MiyoLinux, no tweaking necessary.

Nice, i'll give it a shot then and post when/if I have a working one. ;-)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

Board footer