The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-18 13:18:15

alluredbit
Website

If you like to write shell scripts and good with math I have a project

This is my first post here.
First and foremost thanks for Devuan! This is an awesome display of devotion and desire for excellence. With Windows 10 people might realize that Operating Systems should be designed and updated primarily to get things done, instead for profit-first. What a waste Microsoft is doing with these ad-based menus and such, even the idea of it is repulsing. I sure hope Devuan and the like is going to receive much, much more attention and demand in the future.

I am looking for people to co-write some articles with me. I am building a web to document data structures that are seldom if ever change, and one of the projects going to be about finite seguence of known values such as coordinates, IP address range, part numbers, etc. etc. The article would be to outline the sets such [a-z][0-9][-#], then write the SQL scripts to generate the 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. length combinations or permutations (depending on the context of the sequence). The subject to discuss would be controlling the size and predicting the use of the sequences (1N* are good for part numbers but bad for cross-word puzzles)

I am going to write the SQL scripts to generate the sequences, and I need people to write them in shell scripts. I prefer shell scripts because that is the most affordable to anyone. I am not entirely sure about what to introduce next to SQL for this, and if you are an expert saying Python, Perl or another is much prefered to the shell then I would consider it. My knowledge is too limited to decide.

My scripting skills are not that great, and my math skills are abysmal compared to what's needed to properly express the algebra. I am not looking for a PhD for this since the issue is pretty basic, but someone with training is going to have the proper vocabulary and composition. Actually anything is better than mine LOL!

If you are looking for something else to do I also need help with documenting the install and configuration of a network with one central LAMP, LDAP-kerberos, DNS, DHCP box, kernel routing to 2-4 different networks with their own, fully LDAP-authenticated clients. So far I have done this on Debian under VirtualBox, and most of the configuration is performed and documented via Webmin so I am going to document that first. Eventually I would like to do this on Devuan via config scripts, and this project could be an article to submit here. If you have or know about a like project already underway I would like to look at it.

On my web I also need all sort of co-authors and editors, please visit if you are interested.

All this is part of the web I am building, where the operating system, the tools and the documentation is there to help you create something useful - instead of looking at eye-candy and be entertained by adverts!

You can also email me at my registration address via the form email, also listed on my web. Thanks for reading!

start.webtechbazaar.com
Describe whats important, what seldom or never change - then give it away!

#2 2017-08-19 00:36:36

golinux
Administrator

Re: If you like to write shell scripts and good with math I have a project

This was a rather questionable first post.  Isn't it YOU who should be contributing to improve Devuan rather than us populating the content of your vanity site?  Think about it.  Otherwise, enjoy your stay here.

#3 2017-08-19 01:09:59

alluredbit
Website

"vanity site" ?
Did I do something unethical?
I asked for someone with a specific skill in shell scripting and math. I work very hard to make sure the web explains its purpose.
There is no registration on that web because it is not a public forum, I plug that web and its projects everywhere because that is how you find like-minded people. I am looking for people to get a project going. I am trying to create something meaningful.

start.webtechbazaar.com

#4 2017-08-19 01:34:25

golinux
Administrator

alluredbit wrote:

"vanity site" ?

You have one link in your profile and one in your footer and your first post is only tangentially related to Devuan. That seems a bit too self-promotional/spammy for a first post.  It was very nearly deleted.

No.  Just an awkward self-absorbed entrance to this community.  It was a real turnoff.

I asked for someone with a specific skill in shell scripting and math. I work very hard to make sure the web explains its purpose.
There is no registration on that web because it is not a public forum, I plug that web and its projects everywhere because that is how you find like-minded people. I am looking for people to get a project going. I am trying to create something meaningful.

It really is all about you and your project isn't it . . .  Why are you here exactly?

#5 2017-08-19 01:59:27

alluredbit
Website

I am here to find someone who would like to write and share a shell script that duplicates the output of my SQL scripts. Maybe I should have asked on SQL support web instead, they too have people with good scripting skills.
Apologies for wasting your time, I'll try to be more considerate with my posts in the future.

start.webtechbazaar.com

#6 2017-08-19 02:13:32

golinux
Administrator

alluredbit wrote:

I am here to find someone who would like to write and share a shell script that duplicates the output of my SQL scripts.

Exactly.  I am still dumbfounded why you thought a self-promotional Off Topic first post was a good idea . . .

Maybe I should have asked on SQL support web instead, they too have people with good scripting skills.

Actually, it would seem an odd first post on just about any forum imo.

#7 2017-08-19 05:03:21

alluredbit
Website

I would like to ask you something.. This is still under the Off Topic category

To illustrate my point consider the Marathon with 10,000 participants. There is only one winner, so you could ask why the rest bother to show up at all? Or, you could say everyone who finish is a winner! Then, you could also say everyone who's not the winner is a loser. Or, everyone who did not finish is a loser. So on, so on...

What do you think?

I think that context creates the content, and if you say my post above is self-promoting garbage it is going to be. It does not take much to take some circumstance out of context and label me and my post opportunistic.

I say my post above has enough information for anyone here, on this Linux/technical/geek-powered web, to decide if they want any part of it, and may silently ignore it if they wish. It is not going to be the worst stuff people ever read, and it is not competently unrelated to Linux. From my point of view I am going to lose only if I resolve to continue building that web by myself, alone.

I cannot allow to be called a spammer and self-promoting. I put too much effort in that post to help find partners to work with, and this is the ONLY web I ever   posted it. The more I think about it the less I understand your resentment. We must be on two, completely different wavelengths.

start.webtechbazaar.com

Board footer