The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-10-02 18:15:17

greenjeans
Website

Hi all! Back again after many adventures!

Hi everyone!

Whew, been a long few years, life got in the way of my Linux, but happy to report that after 40+ years of renting, the wife and I finally bought a house!!! And after 10 years of using coffeeshop and library wi-fi ( one of the ways we saved money to buy a house), we have internets at home again, fast too, they actually have fiber in our tiny town so we got 300mbps which is kinda freaking me out as I have never used internet with that kinda speed! Missed all of y'all big-time but we had to work our butts off to make this happen.

So now I finally have time to do all the things I love, one of which is playing with Devuan, going to sit down soon and start building a new Vuu-do, but first i'm downloading the new Devuan to familiarize myself with all the new stuff.

So couple questions as I am rusty as heck amd my memory is starting to really suck.
1. Can I use the new Devuan with the MBR and GRUB I already have on my laptop or do I need to convert to GPT?
2. I have 3 partitions plus swap on the machine, was wanting to drop new Devuan on sda1 in place of old vuu-do build, can I do that without wiping the other partitions? Because I really need one of them, has all my files on it, I could backup on a stick and wipeout all if need be but rather not if possible.
3. I already have swap on it, so no need to re-format that right? Can I just bypass that on install?

Thanks!
~greenjeans

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#2 2023-10-02 19:15:36

golinux
Administrator

Re: Hi all! Back again after many adventures!

OMG! Welcome home, greenjeans!!! Not long ago fsmithred and I were wondering what had happened to you. Congrats on your new home and internet connection  . . .

I am not the best person to answer your questions but . . . I am still using MBR and grub on chimaera. Your setup sounds similar to mine and it is still working for Chimaera. I also always have multiple backups before I start messing with installations/upgrades. As to sucky memory . . . sounds familiar . . . LOL!

#3 2023-10-02 19:47:27

rolfie

To the technical side of things:
1.) Devuan/Debian can be installed in legacy or efi mode on MBR or GPT drives in any combination when Windows isn't involved. Well, some side conditions do apply here and there like for efi installs you will need an efi partition in any case ... but its your choice which way to go. On new drives I suggest to use GPT. Not to count partitions and care about logical drives really is some progress and much more logical.
2.) In your case do not use any automatism. Make sure you use manual partitioning. That way you can select exactly where to install Devuan. Though a backup never hurts when things go south by chance.
3.) I think when you add the existing swap partition the installer will format that again. AFAIK you don't have the choice not to do that. If that swap is used somewhere else you will have to modify the uuid in the fstab.

#4 2023-10-02 20:03:11

fsmithred
Administrator

Welcome back and congrats on the house! Nice to see you again. I'm in and out of here a lot. Internet here is as slow as yours is fast.

For 1, 2 and 3... what rolfie said. Or, if you have a beowulf install around, upgrading to chimaera is not bad (i.e. easier than ascii to beowulf) and chimaera to daedalus is even smoother. YMMV depending on desktop and whatever else you have installed.

See you around.

#5 2023-10-02 21:11:09

greenjeans
Website

Thanks y'all! Will give it a shot tomorrow. Fsmithred I downed a copy of the newest Refracta also to see what you've been up to, gonna throw that on sda2 and nose around for a while before I start thinking about making me a new chop-job wink

Golinux, sure is good to be back doing something I really enjoy, missed our conversations sister smile

Ugh, so much to do though, last Vuu-do was my love-song to an older simpler time in Linux, GTK2, pure ALSA etc. Hopefully GTK3 has improved some since last I messed with it, lol.

Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

#6 2023-10-02 23:14:56

zephyr
Website

Wow! All last week I kept thinking about where and what happened to you, It is good to know all is well with you!

Welcome back! smile

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#7 2023-10-03 08:51:30

Camtaf

Welcome back, & congrats on getting your own home. smile

Only thing about upgrading to Daedelus is to add a line to sources list, because Debian has separated out the non-free wifi stuff, I think it was, but it's in the forum somewhere. wink

Last edited by Camtaf (2023-10-03 08:52:20)

#8 2023-10-03 10:15:13

fsmithred
Administrator

Good call, Camtaf. If you need non-free wireless firmware, add "non-free-firmware" instead of "non-free" to sources.list.

I'm not sure what's in non-free now that they moved the firmware.

#9 2023-10-03 15:53:03

chris2be8

fsmithred wrote:

I'm not sure what's in non-free now that they moved the firmware.

Nvidia's proprietary drivers etc (which you need to run CUDA apps) should be in there.

#10 2023-10-06 16:20:17

fsmithred
Administrator

One thing that happened while you were gone and you already know it is that ascii reached end-of-live and is no longer supported.
But what you may not know is that you can still get the last software updates by changing sources.list to archive.devuan.org instead of deb.devuan.org (or whatever you may have used). I think only main or main and security are enabled.

Oh yeah, maybe try apulse instead of pulseaudio.

#11 2023-10-06 16:23:38

greenjeans
Website

zephyr wrote:

Wow! All last week I kept thinking about where and what happened to you, It is good to know all is well with you!

Welcome back! smile

cheers

zephyr

Man that is kinda strange, because at the same time roughly I was thinking about you, we were still at the old place and in the last week we were there I was trying hard to find an iso that was small enough for me to be able to download on the extremely low bandwidth of the public library, remembered yours and 1 gig seemed possible, but I tried and no joy, was going to take like 5 hours so had to blow it off.

Love my new place and our fast internets, gonna pickup a copy of Crowz today and check it out, seriously fun to see what everybody has been doing!

#12 2023-10-06 17:17:48

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

BRRRAAAaaa!

I sent you a message via the forum. Hopefully, you received it???

GREAT to see you and have you around again!

#13 2023-10-07 14:56:07

greenjeans
Website

Duuuuuuude! I got it but wasn't sure how to reply, it's great to hear from you too, sorry for my own incommunicado but I had my head buried in work for the last 4 years, it sucked but it was the only way to make sure that I would have free time in the future again. I thought about all of y'all a lot, every day I still use the OS I made that started with inspiration from you and Fsmithred, and the next one I make will still have those roots!

#14 2023-10-07 19:03:41

The-Amnesiac-Philosopher

No problem my man! Just wanted you to know who the idiot was sending you a message. big_smile

Board footer