The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-17 01:17:20

torquebar

Donation bombed

I tried to make a small donation but the form wanted my phone number and that's something I would even gove to mother Theresa :-)

--
Oh Lord of the Keyrings on high, have I got bad news for you, the word trust is nowhere to be found in my security dictionary.

Who, has loved us more?

#2 2022-03-18 00:54:27

zapper

Re: Donation bombed

That is very, very  bizzare... I didn't think Devuan had that kind of policy... super weird...

Unless you were being manipulated by some adversary online...

Sounds unlikely though even if you were using chromium.

Very weird indeed...

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#3 2022-03-18 01:10:36

andyprough

torquebar wrote:

that's something I would even gove to mother Theresa :-)

Twenty-year-old-me would have given my phone number to 20-year-old Mother Theresa.
Young-Mother-Teresa.jpg

#4 2022-03-18 01:24:14

golinux
Administrator

torquebar wrote:

I tried to make a small donation but the form wanted my phone number and that's something I would even give to mother Theresa :-)

I just investigated the options HERE and it seems that credit card donations are going through PayPal (yuck) and the the form does indeed ask for a phone number. Is that the option you tried?  I don't know if it's always been that way but I can ask the folks at dyne if they are aware it is set up that way.  That web page hasn't been changed in a long time. PayPal might have changed their procedure or someone would have probably mentioned it before.

#5 2022-03-18 01:34:05

zapper

golinux wrote:
torquebar wrote:

I tried to make a small donation but the form wanted my phone number and that's something I would even give to mother Theresa :-)

I just investigated the options HERE and it seems that credit card donations are going through PayPal (yuck) and the the form does indeed ask for a phone number. Is that the option you tried?  I don't know if it's always been that way but I can ask the folks at dyne if they are aware it is set up that way.  That web page hasn't been changed in a long time. PayPal might have changed their procedure or someone would have probably mentioned it before.

This wouldn't surprise me, minifree.org used to have a paypal hate page...

Supposedly they are the most abusive way of paying for things online.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#6 2022-03-18 01:39:08

golinux
Administrator

I think that zapper and andyprough should create their own forum where they can try to outdo each other's nonsense.  Please stop wasting Devuan resources on irrelevant babble.

#7 2022-03-18 01:41:53

zapper

golinux wrote:

I think that zapper and andyprough should create their own forum where they can try to outdo each other's nonsense.  Please stop wasting Devuan resources on irrelevant babble.

Actually, my point about minifree having a paypal hate page once, was to point out that paypal is a really bad corporation and that's why they require a phone number if I had to guess.

Here is a thought as to why:

https://news.slashdot.org/story/22/01/1 … -and-funds

No idea why you choose to criticize my nonsense on this thread, this is actually on topic.

My point is, that they are an unethicial company and unethical companies like to have people's phone numbers.

But okay, I will go for now...

hmm

Last edited by zapper (2022-03-18 01:55:03)

Peace Be With us All!

#8 2022-03-18 03:57:53

andyprough

golinux wrote:

Yes, it's too bad that zapper is not on the leadership team of a forum that supports an astonishingly advanced GNU/Linux technology. Which, by the way just announced their looooong-awaited 0.4 release. Bravo to the Hyperbola team. Quite an amazing accomplishment, you guys have truly outdone yourselves this time.

#9 2022-03-18 11:58:01

torquebar

golinux wrote:
torquebar wrote:

Yes, it was credit-card via paypal, but it seems to me that I paid someone else just weeks ago via the same credit-card/paypal seemingly inseparable trap-pair without giving my phone number. Maybe they just gave it an extra dose of bad smell recently?  Otherwise, I seem to have hit a very sensitive nerve by the lookathings :-)))    GOOD!

It's not a huge deal as my landline is listed anyway but it's the principle of the thing!!!!!!  My cell # I don't give to anyone outside the family. I wonder how this works wherever things with Devuan written on them live, but here in Canama we have a bank gizmo called interac which lets me pay anyone to his/her email address without giving away any data. I believe that works cross-border to the US as well but have never tried that route yet.

I'll wait a couple weeks, in case it gets fixed...

--
My dear mother, bless her soul, was more catholic than the pope. Once when I took a girlfriend home for supper I made the mistake of bragging that she was a dancer. Mother just stared at the poor thing for ten minutes before I suddenly remembered we were late for a movie. Dad, he compensated. One morning as I staggered out of my room with a hangover he pulled me aside quietly: "what is THAT in your bed, would you like me to take her home for you?"

Who, has loved us more?

#10 2022-07-11 19:45:25

csehszlovakze
Website

Consider adding crypto donation options, too. (Monero at least.)

Board footer