The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-24 14:47:34

hevisko

ZFSonLinux binaries like Ubuntu??

Good day,

Philosophical question: Will ZFS binaries be "allowed" in Devuan main/non-free/contrib, or will the same strictness apply as per Debian?

I'm asking as it happens to be "easier" to have Ubuntu based ZFS systems (especially root/boot) than Debian.

#2 2017-07-24 15:29:51

golinux
Administrator

Re: ZFSonLinux binaries like Ubuntu??

You might want to look at some of the chatter in the #devuan irc logs.  There is also one old thread on the mail list.   If/when the binaries are available in Debian they will come to Devuan.  Or perhaps someone will adapt them natively.  Currently, there are other more pressing issues that we're dealing with so not a priority.

#3 2017-07-24 15:44:02

hevisko

Hi golinux, thanks for the references, however the question is more about the licensing etc. and if that is "allowed" then I could consider getting involved in doing packages for Devuan for the ZFSonLinux. Hoever  I notice now that devuan appears to be only tracking/following what Debian does (except remove SystemD stuff), so I don't think that'll help to even get involved in this way.

The issue with ZFS is the CDDL https://opensource.org/licenses/CDDL-1.0 not GPL "compatible" so while Devuan is "Strictly" tracking Debian, it won't be a "blessed" integration then.

#4 2017-07-24 15:47:59

golinux
Administrator

Contrib and non-free options are available in Devuan but not enabled by default.  Have you checked to see if ZFS is there?

You might post your question to the dng mail list or on the #devuan-dev irc channel.  The devs don't have time to come to the forum often.

#5 2017-07-24 15:52:59

hevisko

The zfs-dkms is in jessie-backports, but I'm looking to have more already compiled binaries (per kernel) included as I don't always like the idea of compilers on production servers/instances wink
and to consider having more bleeding edge (-rc type) options available (there are a few interesting changes coming in 0.7.0- vs 0.6.x w.r.t. memory handling that is an issue in linux vs solaris for ZFS)

Board footer