The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-15 20:50:52

sgage

[SOLVED]Package updates in ascii?

I have not received any package updates for ascii in quite some time - at least 2 weeks but probably more. Before that there was a steady parade of updates. Does anyone else notice this? Have repos changed? I haven't messed with my sources.list at all.

TIA for any insight...

Last edited by sgage (2017-07-18 11:12:32)

#2 2017-07-16 05:13:29

yeti

Re: [SOLVED]Package updates in ascii?

sgage wrote:

I have not received any package updates for ascii in quite some time

The same here...

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#3 2017-07-17 08:25:02

fungus
Website

Well, if things are not sorted out yet in ceres why would there be an ascii update?

If I break in ceres you will be the first to know, I promise.
AMD64-ceres

#4 2017-07-17 15:31:51

sgage

KatolaZ over on the IRC channel said that -security and -updates have not yet been merged in Ascii (I guess since Stretch became stable), but should be soon. Meanwhile, Ascii is very solid for me (using MATE)...

#5 2017-07-17 19:57:53

Count_Cucaracha

Don't have much of a feel for this project yet. Along this same subject I wonder how much hands on is required to make a debian release into a devuan release? Has most the heavy lifting been done now that Devuan1.0 is here?

#6 2017-07-17 20:32:21

fungus
Website

I may be too new to help you, and I started with a clean install side by side to a debian install.
Get a list of your needed software, copy your home into the same name and user id in the fresh
installation, and run them and compare for yourself.
I have pulled and stretched this thing in all ways, it is not braking yet.  I jumped from jessie
(boring) to ascii (equally boring) and now to ceres.  The only problem I experienced was with
the availability of my browser that will not upgrade in ceres, but the same problem exists in sid.

I don't think I am going back, other than from quriocity to see how things are evolving in
contrast with devuan.  I am so happy with it I can feel what people feel getting out of "jail".

I remember seeing in the devuan page a document of trying it your way.

PS  Wait until you try the refractasnapshot to backup your system and create a live
iso out of your system as well.  It is 4 clicks away.  It was science and research in debian
to do the same.  And I never wanted to do a dissertation in live image production.
This is like cheating on Debian with her sexier funnier twin sister!

#7 2017-07-17 20:44:31

sgage

Count_Cucaracha wrote:

Don't have much of a feel for this project yet. Along this same subject I wonder how much hands on is required to make a debian release into a devuan release? Has most the heavy lifting been done now that Devuan1.0 is here?

Somewhere on here is a howto on just that subject. A simple search ought to find it, or poke around in Documentation or DIY...

#8 2017-07-17 21:59:40

Count_Cucaracha

sgage wrote:

Somewhere on here is a howto on just that subject. A simple search ought to find it, or poke around in Documentation or DIY...

Not sure we are talking about the same thing. Here's my question in another way:

* What steps do the Devuan maintainers take to create it from Debian?
* What is involved in those steps?
* How much is automated and how much requires hands on?

A comment above mentions that ascii has not yet merged -security or -updates. So from that I conclude that it's not automated and so that's why I ask "How much work is involved?".

Maybe we are talking about the same thing but I don't understand your reply if that's the case and especially not the DIY suggestion.
If I could DIY I wouldn't need Devuan, right?

#9 2017-07-17 22:19:51

golinux
Administrator

Amprolla does all that.

Here's the first version: https://git.devuan.org/devuan-infrastructure/amprolla

And here's the current one: https://github.com/parazyd/amprolla

#10 2017-07-17 23:48:32

sgage

Count_Cucaracha wrote:
sgage wrote:

Not sure we are talking about the same thing. Here's my question in another way:

* What steps do the Devuan maintainers take to create it from Debian?
* What is involved in those steps?
* How much is automated and how much requires hands on?

A comment above mentions that ascii has not yet merged -security or -updates. So from that I conclude that it's not automated and so that's why I ask "How much work is involved?".

Maybe we are talking about the same thing but I don't understand your reply if that's the case and especially not the DIY suggestion.
If I could DIY I wouldn't need Devuan, right?

DIY is a subforum of this forum that has tips on how to do things. Like convert a Stretch installation into Ascii, or such matters.

As far as creating the entire Devuan system of releases and repos and whatnot, yes, I misunderstood you question. Golinux has given most of the answer. You should go hang out at the IRC channel, ask, and receive. This is not the thread for that question :-)

#11 2017-07-18 00:34:00

Count_Cucaracha

@golinux thanks for that, and I am glad to see that things are active.

@sgage good to know about DIY subforum. I don't use IRC. Is there a IRC log that's searchable?

#12 2017-07-18 00:51:34

sgage

Count_Cucaracha wrote:

@golinux thanks for that, and I am glad to see that things are active.

@sgage good to know about DIY subforum. I don't use IRC. Is there a IRC log that's searchable?

It's at:

https://botbot.me/freenode/devuan/

Install hexchat or something and chime in if you have a specific question. A lot of info happens on the IRC channel...

#13 2017-07-18 07:23:24

fungus
Website

Puzzled and confused  about gvfs (virtual file system processes)

I noticed those tasks running and wondered what they do.  I did not find much of an explanation so I looked through the dependencies and dependants.
They must have come through the installed xfce that was on the live system I used to install Devuan.  Lots of mate cinnamon and xfce dependants, very few items I ever use (engrampa, evince, pcmanfm..) So I used synaptic to see what would come off when uninstalled.

There are 7 of these gvfs pkgs and only the gvfs---bin is not installed, all have plenty of dependants.  When I tried to uninstall only those 6pkgs were on the list to be uprooted.  None of their dependants.  Meaning??  They have alternative dependencies and gvfs is there as a helper?

=============
edited:  running ceres on amd64

Last edited by fungus (2017-07-18 07:43:12)

#14 2017-07-18 09:46:19

fsmithred
Administrator

'apt-get remove' - packages that were automatically installed with the named package will be set to 'autoremove'. Run 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.

'aptitude remove' - packages that were automatically installed with the named package will also be removed.

'apt-remove' - I don't know what it will do.

#15 2017-07-18 11:11:10

fungus
Website

this is after I lock down qupzilla and libqupzilla1 so they will not fly away since they don't exist in ceres?

#16 2017-07-18 11:19:01

fungus
Website

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  exfalso fonts-font-awesome fonts-lato gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-1.0 gir1.2-gstreamer-1.0
  gir1.2-gtksource-3.0 gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0 gir1.2-keybinder-3.0 gir1.2-soup-2.4 gir1.2-webkit2-4.0
  gstreamer1.0-alsa gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio gtk2-engines-xfce hddtemp hyphen-en-us
  javascript-common liba52-0.7.4 libapparmor-perl libass5 libbluray1 libgpod-common libgpod4
  libgtksourceview-3.0-1 libgtksourceview-3.0-common libgtksourceview2.0-0 libgtksourceview2.0-common
  libhunspell-1.4-0 libjs-jquery libjs-modernizr libjs-sphinxdoc libjs-underscore libkeybinder-3.0-0
  libllvm3.9 libmodplug1 libntfs-3g871 libopencore-amrnb0 libopencore-amrwb0 libsgutils2-2 libsidplay1v5
  libtagc0 libtidy-0.99-0 libunistring0 libx265-95 libxfce4panel-2.0-4 libxfce4ui-utils media-player-info
  mousepad python-feedparser python-libxml2 python-musicbrainzngs python-mutagen python-pyinotify
  python-twisted-web python-utidylib quodlibet ristretto sphinx-rtd-theme-common thunar
  thunar-archive-plugin thunar-media-tags-plugin thunar-volman xfburn xfce4-appfinder xfce4-battery-plugin
  xfce4-clipman xfce4-clipman-plugin xfce4-cpufreq-plugin xfce4-cpugraph-plugin xfce4-datetime-plugin
  xfce4-dict xfce4-diskperf-plugin xfce4-fsguard-plugin xfce4-genmon-plugin xfce4-goodies
  xfce4-mailwatch-plugin xfce4-mount-plugin xfce4-netload-plugin xfce4-notes xfce4-notes-plugin
  xfce4-places-plugin xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin xfce4-screenshooter xfce4-sensors-plugin
  xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin xfce4-systemload-plugin xfce4-taskmanager xfce4-timer-plugin xfce4-verve-plugin
  xfce4-wavelan-plugin xfce4-weather-plugin xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin xfce4-xkb-plugin
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

with autoupgrade I get the same plus these last two lines

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 93 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
After this operation, 131 MB disk space will be freed.

gvfs is not in there.

#17 2017-07-18 11:59:49

fungus
Website

I flushed xfce and then flushed all the gvfs and wondered if it will reboot

Obviously it riding on clean air now ... 
The more you look the more you can improve and optimize

#18 2017-07-18 17:29:04

fungus
Website

continued ...
I use pcmanfm in openbox and the only difference is that mountable volumes through the fm vanished.
I guess the gvfs process provide thunar with this ability (mounting and umounting volumes and drives, permanent and temp) and pcmanfm uses
that ability but does not have it on its own.  So in order to have this thunar must also be installed, or it came along back with gvfs.

Gui crap!  Now I understand what virtual file system means.

#19 2017-07-18 20:25:02

greenjeans
Website

fungus wrote:

continued ...
I use pcmanfm in openbox and the only difference is that mountable volumes through the fm vanished.
I guess the gvfs process provide thunar with this ability (mounting and umounting volumes and drives, permanent and temp) and pcmanfm uses
that ability but does not have it on its own.  So in order to have this thunar must also be installed, or it came along back with gvfs.

Gui crap!  Now I understand what virtual file system means.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Yep, gvfs does a lot of mounting duty, adds a lot of functionality to Openbox especially.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#20 2017-07-18 20:42:16

fungus
Website

That was a good day's worth of work, time to trim nails and play some guitar
Tomorrow will be another day in the system fixing world ... at some point the perfect system
may become ready for some real work.
It is like wood working, it takes a day of messing with metal tools before you even
consider touching any wood.

#21 2019-02-09 21:59:51

rmrichesjr

It has been at least two or three weeks again since I have seen an ascii update.  For instance, IIRC, Firefox ESR has two updates released (60.4.0 and 60.5.0) but not yet visible through Devuan ascii (60.3.0esr).  Or, did I miss a memo that ascii has been EOLed?

#22 2019-02-09 22:25:18

golinux
Administrator

IIUC, stable releases get bug fixes and security updates but not newer software.  Have you checked the backports repos?  That's where you'll find newer software built against stable.

#23 2019-02-10 14:56:26

thierrybo

fungus wrote:

Puzzled and confused  about gvfs (virtual file system processes)

I noticed those tasks running and wondered what they do.  I did not find much of an explanation so I looked through the dependencies and dependants.
They must have come through the installed xfce that was on the live system I used to install Devuan.  Lots of mate cinnamon and xfce dependants, very few items I ever use (engrampa, evince, pcmanfm..) So I used synaptic to see what would come off when uninstalled.

There are 7 of these gvfs pkgs and only the gvfs---bin is not installed, all have plenty of dependants.  When I tried to uninstall only those 6pkgs were on the list to be uprooted.  None of their dependants.  Meaning??  They have alternative dependencies and gvfs is there as a helper?

=============
edited:  running ceres on amd64

You may have a look to another road with no gvfs and no udisk2 like udevil and spacefm

#24 2019-02-16 21:45:41

rmrichesjr

Thank you, golinux, for your #22 reply.  Bug fixes and security updates are all I was looking for.  The Firefox ESR updates in question are security updates and bug fixes.  Interestingly, even though I had done nothing to my apt configuration, this morning there were over a hundred package upgrades available.  Perhaps, the mirrors might not have been syncing.

#25 2019-03-31 04:11:02

rmrichesjr

I found the reason for my case of not getting updates.  My /etc/apt/sources.list had originally only listed the cdrom (well, actually DVD to be more precise) as sources.  That's likely a side effect of not configuring the network in the installer.  When I noticed a Raspberry Pi 3 running Devuan Ascii was getting updates that my main X86 system was not getting, investigation yielded that the Raspberry Pi's /etc/apt/sources.list had separate lines for "ascii", "ascii-updates", and "ascii-security" (along with a commented-out line for "ascii-backports").  After changing my /etc/apt/sources.list to mimic the one on the Raspberry Pi, I had ~164MB of updates to download, including Firefox 60.6.1esr.

Board footer