The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-10-26 17:51:00

ndavilam

Test Testing version

I would like to test devuan daedalus.
This version still has packages with SystemD?

#2 2021-10-26 18:37:48

golinux
Administrator

#3 2021-10-26 18:54:13

ndavilam

Re: Test Testing version

Thanks for your help,
But these packages are rebuilt without dependency on systemd or will they never appear in Devuan?
Sorry for my ignorance.

#4 2021-10-26 19:57:02

golinux
Administrator

Those are packages with systemd dependency that are prevented from installing.  Those systemd-dependent packages that are essential for Devuan are forked by Devuan devs.  Devuan-specific as well as forked packages are found here.

If there is a package on that list that you want, you are welcome to  contribute to Devuan by forking it.

#5 2021-10-26 19:57:32

rolfie

Devuan is free from systemd. Thats the purpose.

#6 2021-10-27 12:46:10

ndavilam

Thank you very much for your help @golinux

golinux wrote:

Those are packages with systemd dependency that are prevented from installing.  Those systemd-dependent packages that are essential for Devuan are forked by Devuan devs.  Devuan-specific as well as forked packages are found here.

If there is a package on that list that you want, you are welcome to  contribute to Devuan by forking it.

#7 2021-10-27 13:20:58

ndavilam

Hi again @golinux,

First, excuse me to change the subject a bit.
Since we are talking about packages, currently Firefox and Thunderbird are at version 78.
How can I contribute builds from newer versions, like 91.

golinux wrote:

#8 2021-10-27 15:24:05

golinux
Administrator

@ndavilam . . . Devuan does not provide an official way to contribute a "PPA".  However sometimes users will share their builds on the "Off-topic" section of this forum.  For example, in this thread https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=3331 tdrnetworks is providing up-to-date php builds without systemd.

But also check the daedalus and ceres repositories.  The latest shiny FF might be there.

#9 2021-10-27 17:37:05

Debuser2018
Website

ndavilam wrote:

Hi again @golinux,

First, excuse me to change the subject a bit.
Since we are talking about packages, currently Firefox and Thunderbird are at version 78.
How can I contribute builds from newer versions, like 91.

golinux wrote:

I am using Ubuntuzilla repo for latest Firefox since ascii release. It installs on /opt; thus isolating from Devuan/Debian installation path. 
You can use following lines in /etc/apt/sources.list:

I cannot absolutely guarantee it, since it's a 3rd party repository. YMMV.

# Ubuntuzilla for Firefox browser
 deb http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main

If the above auto resolver persistently selects slow mirrors, try below line, instead of above:

deb https://altushost-swe.dl.sourceforge.net/project/ubuntuzilla/mozilla/apt all main

#10 2021-10-27 17:46:27

golinux
Administrator

Devuan package repositories are exclusive. Other repositories, including Debian, Ubuntu, Mint etc, should NOT be used directly.

Personally, I would never touch anything from the 'buntus.

But your choice and you get to keep all the pieces.  smile

#11 2021-10-28 11:48:09

Magnus
Website

golinux wrote:

But your choice and you get to keep all the pieces.  smile

Some day even you will be able to handle the pieces. It's all about experience.

I thought we had a forum like this to, among other things, develop and learn new things, not to be negative about new ideas and progress. But I'm so incredibly blown away and stupid so I do things that I feel like to test and learn, not that other say I should do.

Last edited by Magnus (2021-10-28 11:53:40)

#12 2021-10-28 14:08:09

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Magnus wrote:

I thought we had a forum like this to, among other things, develop and learn new things, not to be negative about new ideas and progress.

The OP is running a production system. It's not a game for them.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#13 2021-10-29 08:34:00

Magnus
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

The OP is running a production system. It's not a game for them.

I'm totally too infused with Linux Torvalds book "Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary" and I'm sure many more than I on this forum use their computer for both work and pleasure.

#14 2021-10-29 12:16:49

Ogis1975
Website

Magnus wrote:

I'm totally too infused with Linux Torvalds book "Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary" and I'm sure many more than I on this forum use their computer for both work and pleasure.

Do you distinguish between two things, sir?  A production system and develop and learn new things?

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#15 2021-11-30 18:45:34

ndavilam

Thank you very much for your guide @golinux.
I really like this distribution.

golinux wrote:

@ndavilam . . . Devuan does not provide an official way to contribute a "PPA".  However sometimes users will share their builds on the "Off-topic" section of this forum.  For example, in this thread https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=3331 tdrnetworks is providing up-to-date php builds without systemd.

But also check the daedalus and ceres repositories.  The latest shiny FF might be there.

Board footer