The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-10 11:25:08

Camtaf

Save me from having to distro hop......[SOLVED sort of]

OK, so I'm trying to save me some time & effort...... wink

Can you let me know which of the various alternatives is closest to what I'm looking for....

I want a simple WM (Fluxbox/Openbox), web browser (normally use Firefox), file manager (mc would be enough), music player (xmms/audacious), video player (mplayer/VLC) - just a basic light weight system. smile

I am finding the 'live' Devuan a bit too program heavy for my liking, so if there's already a cut down version that I can take a look at, that'd be great.

Last edited by Camtaf (2021-03-11 18:32:41)

#2 2021-03-10 12:19:14

dice
Website

Re: Save me from having to distro hop......[SOLVED sort of]

You should try out a minimal devuan netinstall.

You would need to install xorg, xserver-xorg-video and input packages, then your openbox/fluxbox wm, get those few working first and then build up from there.

The way to do this is to only select standard system utils when it comes to installing the desktop and other software, maybe include cups printing, ssh server and console productivity if you need these.

edit: some typos.

Last edited by dice (2021-03-10 15:21:42)

#3 2021-03-10 12:24:47

nixer

OK, so I'm trying to save me some time & effort

This may not save you any time, and it may take some effort. So, it may be off-topic and unwanted.  If so, I apologize. 

You have two options.  First, install what is for you bloated and then uninstall what you do not want, or, two, build your own with only what you want installed.  I have done option two several times through the years.  In the long run, it does save both time and effort and this makes it my preferred choice.

Simple build
- Start with the netinstall iso image, at the software selection screen, select the most minimal desktop you wish, or do not select one.  I sometimes select one just so the proper xorg and video drivers will install.  This saves the step below.
- Follow this guide for xorg installation.
- Did slim or lightdm get installed?  You will need one or the other depending on the desktop you install.  I prefer lightdm, but slim is the xfce default, I believe.
- reboot, is it working?  If so, install refractasnapshot-base and refractainstaller-base and build an installable image of what you have thus far.
- Install the programs that you wish, and then when it is "customized" to your liking, make a final installable iso with refractasnapshot.  You will now have what you want, with only what you want. 

This may not be exactly what you are asking for, because what you are asking for may not exist, yet.  But you can build it.  But beware, this process is addictive.

Tip:  Install bleachbit and remove unused localizations.  This will remove much more (megabytes space) than it will use to be installed.  This will help reduce the size of your custom.iso .

Hope this helps.

#4 2021-03-10 15:56:13

Camtaf

Tip:  Install bleachbit and remove unused localizations.  This will remove much more (megabytes space) than it will use to be installed.  This will help reduce the size of your custom.iso .

Now that is something that always has annoyed me, I didn't know that was what bleachbit did....thanks smile

Yes, it looks like I may just have to bite the bullet & do my own installation, but I normally use wifi, not cable internet, so can I use the Installer DVD to load a basic xorg system, plus wifi, or does it only install the regular xfce desktop system(?).

EDIT: I've just found Minimal Live, & reading through it's description, looks like probably a good start point for me, I'll download it & see.

Thanks for your responses, appreciated. smile

Last edited by Camtaf (2021-03-10 16:11:53)

#5 2021-03-10 23:55:26

wdq
Website

God I can't see right, there it is where always has been.
Just read a little and use the one you like.
Fluxuan uses fluxbox
Miyo uses openbox and i3
Looking around Michael I saw is with a modified JWM
https://www.devuan.org/os/devuan-distros
No need for install uninstall programs there are so many minimal.

Last edited by wdq (2021-03-10 23:56:17)

Just a simple man!

#6 2021-03-11 10:35:42

Camtaf

FluXuan didn't connect to wifi - would have been a reasonable choice otherwise, perhaps.
Miyo I've used before, but again I couldn't get wifi working.
Star didn't take input from keyboard or mouse.
Crowz also wouldn't take keyboard or mouse input.

Something wrong there, 4 distros, none working fully running 'live'.....at least, not on my computer, on which most other distros work out of the box.

Tried the live-minimal, could have been a possible, but wouldn't install properly, it kept going round in circles installing to deeper & deeper /Target directories.

Even having problems with my Devuan Live install keep on turning off my monitor......

Just can't figure out why Devuan doesn't work for me, it was problematical when I used it before too - so it looks like I need to look at something else. sad

#7 2021-03-11 11:09:14

Camtaf

Even having problems with my Devuan Live install keep on turning off my monitor......

Sorted - the default power manager settings were the fault!

#8 2021-03-11 16:21:39

golinux
Administrator

Then please mark this thread as "solved".  There's even a button to do that.

#9 2021-03-13 04:02:11

wdq
Website

Wifi problems .... hmmm you should of said that from the start pick the flavour and tell us what's wrong with your wifi, there are plenty of fish in this sea to solve your wifi and make new friends !
If you could tell me what wifi card you are using I can make sure I will include the drivers in the next FluXuan release.

Just a simple man!

#10 2021-03-13 04:03:31

wdq
Website

Like golinux said I think we can treat this topic as SOLVED!

Just a simple man!

#11 2021-03-14 19:18:23

Camtaf

wdq wrote:

If you could tell me what wifi card you are using I can make sure I will include the drivers in the next FluXuan release.

Just passing through the forum, & saw new posts, this is what I have on this particular machine; (otherwise, I am normally using Realtek.)

$ lsmod | grep  wifi
iwlwifi               249856  1 iwlmvm
cfg80211              774144  4 wl,iwlmvm,iwlwifi,mac80211

Last edited by Camtaf (2021-03-14 19:19:34)

Board footer