The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-10 14:14:28

dice
Website

mozilla, we need more deplatforming...

the underlying message is quite evident. so much for freedom of speech, goodbye firefox.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2021/01/0 … atforming/

We need more than deplatforming
Mitchell Baker January 8, 2021
There is no question that social media played a role in the siege and take-over of the US Capitol on January 6.

Since then there has been significant focus on the deplatforming of President Donald Trump. By all means the question of when to deplatform a head of state is a critical one, among many that must be addressed. When should platforms make these decisions? Is that decision-making power theirs alone?

But as reprehensible as the actions of Donald Trump are, the rampant use of the internet to foment violence and hate, and reinforce white supremacy is about more than any one personality. Donald Trump is certainly not the first politician to exploit the architecture of the internet in this way, and he won’t be the last. We need solutions that don’t start after untold damage has been done.

Changing these dangerous dynamics requires more than just the temporary silencing or permanent removal of bad actors from social media platforms.

Additional precise and specific actions must also be taken: 

Reveal who is paying for advertisements, how much they are paying and who is being targeted.

Commit to meaningful transparency of platform algorithms so we know how and what content is being amplified, to whom, and the associated impact.

Turn on by default the tools to amplify factual voices over disinformation.

Work with independent researchers to facilitate in-depth studies of the platforms’ impact on people and our societies, and what we can do to improve things.

These are actions the platforms can and should commit to today. The answer is not to do away with the internet, but to build a better one that can withstand and gird against these types of challenges. This is how we can begin to do that.

Last edited by dice (2021-01-10 14:15:02)

#2 2021-01-10 15:40:45

Dutch_Master

Re: mozilla, we need more deplatforming...

"Freedom of speech" doesn't mean you can say absolutely anything, anywhere, anytime. Your "freedom of speech" ends where it encroaches on freedoms of others. Disagreeing is fine, as long as it remains respectful and civil. These principles of civilisation have been trampled by certain groups and individuals in the past and exactly that is now being addressed.

As this subject has the potential to explode I'd prefer to keep it at that. roll

#3 2021-01-10 15:58:55

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

dice wrote:

the underlying message is quite evident.

Not for me, would you mind explaining your opinion further? TIA.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#4 2021-01-10 16:46:19

sgage

Inciting insurrection is not covered by 'freedom of speech', no matter who does it.

#5 2021-01-10 18:01:27

zapper

Hate speech is not free speech nor is inciting violence.

My freedom  ends where yours begins, aka, if you try to restrict someone's freedom or violate someones freedom especially for no justifiable reason... that is wrong.

BLM protesters would have been mowed down with gunfire if they tried to incite insurrection. The confederates /nazi/trump supporters should have had the same treatment.

Equality and justice should be more important than stupid issues like skin color, or race, or other such foolishness...

That all being said, I think firefox is going to die, she has been firing people working on firefox...

So its plausible that may happen. hmm

And yes, your freedom ends when it encroaches on someone else's freedom.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#6 2021-01-10 18:12:34

golinux
Administrator

"Freedom" is not external.  It is internal. We all have the freedom to choose actions that are driven by selfish motivations or hatred or deluded fantasies or to choose actions that are motivated by generosity or compassion or the reality that no one is doing anything to us.  In the end, we are doing it to ourselves with every action either verbal, physical or mental.  This requires clear attention and accepting responsibility for the consequences.  IOW, license is not freedom.  It is indulgence and bondage to behaviors that in the end cause grief to oneself and others.

#7 2021-01-10 20:52:07

dice
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
dice wrote:

It just seems to me that with these giant platforms like mozilla,twitter and facebook, that one can be branded evil white nazi supremacists when in fact the opposite could be true and without evidence to contrary they post heresay as in the mozilla article and elsewhere in the mainstream media.

the rampant use of the internet to foment violence and hate, and reinforce white supremacy is about more than any one personality. Donald Trump is certainly not the first politician to exploit the architecture of the internet in this way

^ The article needs to back that up in regards to trumps twitters imo.

From what ive read and seen so far it looked very staged this so called "insurrection". A real coup would have involved storming the building with weopens and a clear objective, the way it looked from what they show on the mainstream media was a bunch of usefull idiots being useful idiots. I do agree free speech has its limits but if only twitter and facebook and the rest lived up to that on a daily basis.

Last edited by dice (2021-01-10 21:15:34)

#8 2021-01-11 02:25:23

Ron

There's a lot of bullshit responses in this thread. The real threat here are the ones who get to decide what is (so called) hate speech and what isn't. This IS a threat to free speech.

Last edited by Ron (2021-01-11 02:26:24)

#9 2021-01-11 07:31:08

zapper

Ron wrote:

There's a lot of bullshit responses in this thread. The real threat here are the ones who get to decide what is (so called) hate speech and what isn't. This IS a threat to free speech.

Oh hush up man, 

hate speech isn't free speech man, you know that trump told his supporters to march on the capital and that he encouraged violence. This isn't the first time, won't be the last.

The real threat is being talked about and its called extremism.

trump supporters are friggin extremists. Even the corporate democrats aren't this evil, hell even the republicans in power aren't this evil, they just cowards. 

Don't give me that "those aren't the droids you are looking for"

That isn't logical in this case and we both know it.

I don't like to be so crass about this, but extremism must be exposed.

PS, I detest both sides but especially corporate rulers and effing fascists.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#10 2021-01-11 07:33:14

zapper

dice wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
dice wrote:

It just seems to me that with these giant platforms like mozilla,twitter and facebook, that one can be branded evil white nazi supremacists when in fact the opposite could be true and without evidence to contrary they post heresay as in the mozilla article and elsewhere in the mainstream media.

the rampant use of the internet to foment violence and hate, and reinforce white supremacy is about more than any one personality. Donald Trump is certainly not the first politician to exploit the architecture of the internet in this way

^ The article needs to back that up in regards to trumps twitters imo.

From what ive read and seen so far it looked very staged this so called "insurrection". A real coup would have involved storming the building with weopens and a clear objective, the way it looked from what they show on the mainstream media was a bunch of usefull idiots being useful idiots. I do agree free speech has its limits but if only twitter and facebook and the rest lived up to that on a daily basis.

You forget, we are talking about donald trump...  he doesn't know how to be sneaky. He is good at manipulation, bad at everything else...

Just a side note, mozilla should rot for letting itself be bribed by google so many times and for  accepting their money and for accepting webextensions as their new model... etc... but NOT for the reasons you and ron are mentioning.

Last edited by zapper (2021-01-11 07:36:39)

Peace Be With us All!

#11 2021-01-11 08:04:21

Dutch_Master

I'll just re-iterate myself then:

Dutch_Master wrote:

"Freedom of speech" doesn't mean you can say absolutely anything, anywhere, anytime. Your "freedom of speech" ends where it encroaches on freedoms of others. Disagreeing is fine, as long as it remains respectful and civil. These principles of civilisation have been trampled by certain groups and individuals in the past and exactly that is now being addressed.

Take particular note of that first sentence, then contemplate on the 2nd. That's the core of civilisation in a nutshell.

#12 2021-01-11 10:04:13

zapper

Dutch_Master wrote:

Dutch_Master wrote:

Take particular note of that first sentence, then contemplate on the 2nd. That's the core of civilisation in a nutshell.

Kind of hard to be civil when people are just straight up in denial about things that are facts...

That being said, I might have been too harsh. 

I just really, detest cult like thinking akin to trumplicans, fascists, neo nazis and denialists...

At some point people who have team mentality, should abandon their team... when your side threatens violence like trumplicans do, its time to eject. If you know what I mean... or to put it more simply...   escape that sinking ship before you go under.

;<)

Peace Be With us All!

#13 2021-01-11 10:28:20

dice
Website

zapper wrote:
Dutch_Master wrote:

Dutch_Master wrote:

Kind of hard to be civil when people are just straight up in denial about things that are facts...

That being said, I might have been too harsh. 

I just really, detest cult like thinking akin to trumplicans, fascists, neo nazis and denialists...

At some point people who have team mentality, should abandon their team... when your side threatens violence like trumplicans do, its time to eject. If you know what I mean... or to put it more simply...   escape that sinking ship before you go under.

;<)

So are you saying all those millions of people who voted for trump in the usa are akin to fascists and neo nazis?

edit: oh and of course the democrats are shining beacons of peace and harmony!

https://www.dailywire.com/news/viral-vi … harassment

Last edited by dice (2021-01-11 10:33:50)

#14 2021-01-11 11:28:34

brocashelm

Shit like this is why I stopped coming back.

#15 2021-01-11 14:45:28

dice
Website

My favorite lefty or leftist leaning independant youtuber Jimmy Dore.

Capitol Stormed by Protestors! Trump's Twitter Suspended!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suo7bZiDZU8

read between the lines people.

#16 2021-01-11 18:28:26

golinux
Administrator

Enough folks . . .

Board footer