The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-07 04:32:02

nauved-rex

Greetings from New Member

Hello All,

My real name is James. I've been playing around with Linux for maybe 20 years. My first install was 2 Debian floppies, 3 1/2", on a repurposed desktop computer. As I write this, it occurred to me that "desktop" is an odd label for a computer which sits on the floor under the desk. But I digress...

I'm incredibly grateful for the Devuan developers for, first ASCII, then Beowulf, releases. I feel so comfortable with this system. All the techniques I've learned over the years are still usable. I'm not opposed to learning SystemD commands, but it seems like a lot of work for --- what, exactly?

My Beowulf is a minimal LXDE install after an initial command line only install. I didn't select a desktop environment. After booting into the new system, it is necessary to know how to connect to your home network in order to proceed. I hope to publish a "how to" in the near future, if there's not one already.

My computer is a repurposed Acer Chromebook 11, C740, with 2 GB RAM and a 16 GB SSD. My work data is store on a SanDisk 128 GM MicroSD card.

Also, just this morning and afternoon, I set up a media server on a repurposed Acer Aspire 5349 notebook with 4 GB RAM and 300 GB HD. After installing the base system, no desktop, I SSH'd into the server and setup Plex Media Server on the Aspire. I manage the server from Firefox on my new Beowulf Chromebook install. Sweet!

Okay all, have a great 2021, and I hope to see you back here soon!

Edit: It required 3 attempts for me to get registered. The 1st time, I picked a username already in use. The 2nd time, I flunked the intelligence test (I can't remember the question). The 3rd time, it asked for the last name of the person who invented or created Linux. The only name which came to mind was, Ian Murdoch. And then I wondered, "Do they mean the kernel dude?" And I drew a complete blank: even now, I can see his face but can't think of his name. LOL. So anyhow, I put "Murdoch", and the gatekeeper granted me admission. smile

Last edited by nauved-rex (2021-01-07 06:02:52)

#2 2021-01-07 06:34:53

golinux
Administrator

Re: Greetings from New Member

Welcome to the forum!  FYI . . . next time try Torvalds . . .  Murdoch shouldn't have worked.

#3 2021-01-07 10:11:15

PedroReina
Website

nauved-rex wrote:

it occurred to me that "desktop" is an odd label for a computer which sits on the floor under the desk

Very funny. I've been there: http://pedroreina.net/montaje/pentium233.jpg

Wellcome to the forum.

Last edited by PedroReina (2021-01-07 16:18:55)

#4 2021-01-07 11:30:07

nauved-rex

golinux wrote:

Welcome to the forum!  FYI . . . next time try Torvalds . . .  Murdoch shouldn't have worked.

Yeah, really... Linus --> Linux, LOL

Thank you!

#5 2021-01-07 11:31:17

nauved-rex

PedroReina wrote:
nauved-rex wrote:

it occurred to me that "desktop" is an odd label for a computer which sits on the floor under the desk

Very funny. I've there: http://pedroreina.net/montaje/pentium233.jpg

Wellcome to the forum.

Yup, LOL. Thank you!

#6 2021-01-07 11:51:34

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Hello and welcome to the forums :-)

nauved-rex wrote:

SystemD

It's spelled "systemd" actually.

nauved-rex wrote:

the intelligence test

There's a test now? *worried look*

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#7 2021-01-07 12:23:24

dice
Website

nauved-rex wrote:

I'm not opposed to learning SystemD commands, but it seems like a lot of work for --- what, exactly?

That it is, have a read of the below link from suckless.org in regards to systemD.

https://suckless.org/sucks/systemd/

#8 2021-01-07 12:46:09

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

nauved-rex wrote:

it seems like a lot of work for --- what, exactly?

Resource control via cgroups is useful (although also possible with OpenRC, runit, s6, etc). I really like that all logging is unified in the systemd journal, which provides a nice interface and a filtering mechanism that doesn't require you to be a regex expert.

It's also easier to check which services are enabled and active and simpler to enable and disable services. Masking services can be useful if you really don't want them activated under any circumstance.

Custom .targets are nice, although again that can also be done with OpenRC.

For some other opinions see https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 0#p1149530 & https://grml.org/faq/#systemd

EDIT: and this from Mr. Poettering himself: http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/why.html

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2021-01-07 18:28:27)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#9 2021-01-07 12:49:47

GlennW

Wellcome to the forum.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#10 2021-01-08 03:06:33

siva

nauved-rex wrote:

...it asked for the last name of the person who invented or created Linux... Ian Murdoch...

The murdux kernel more is to my taste, streamlined and minimal.

10 PRINT "THANK YOU FOR USING THE IAN MURDOCH KERNEL"
20 GOTO 10
30 RUN

But, really, welcome.

Last edited by siva (2021-01-08 03:06:58)

#11 2021-01-08 17:25:46

zapper

golinux wrote:

This wit... hehe...

I missed seeing it on here. wink

Always amusing... smile

I have a joke for you all.. its dated now, but...

Why use debian jessie, when you could upgrade, I mean what a stretch!

tongue

Last edited by zapper (2021-01-08 17:32:50)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#12 2021-01-08 17:29:59

zapper

nauved-rex wrote:

Hello All,

My real name is James. I've been playing around with Linux for maybe 20 years. My first install was 2 Debian floppies, 3 1/2", on a repurposed desktop computer. As I write this, it occurred to me that "desktop" is an odd label for a computer which sits on the floor under the desk. But I digress...

I'm incredibly grateful for the Devuan developers for, first ASCII, then Beowulf, releases. I feel so comfortable with this system. All the techniques I've learned over the years are still usable. I'm not opposed to learning SystemD commands, but it seems like a lot of work for --- what, exactly?

My Beowulf is a minimal LXDE install after an initial command line only install. I didn't select a desktop environment. After booting into the new system, it is necessary to know how to connect to your home network in order to proceed. I hope to publish a "how to" in the near future, if there's not one already.

My computer is a repurposed Acer Chromebook 11, C740, with 2 GB RAM and a 16 GB SSD. My work data is store on a SanDisk 128 GM MicroSD card.

Also, just this morning and afternoon, I set up a media server on a repurposed Acer Aspire 5349 notebook with 4 GB RAM and 300 GB HD. After installing the base system, no desktop, I SSH'd into the server and setup Plex Media Server on the Aspire. I manage the server from Firefox on my new Beowulf Chromebook install. Sweet!

Okay all, have a great 2021, and I hope to see you back here soon!

Edit: It required 3 attempts for me to get registered. The 1st time, I picked a username already in use. The 2nd time, I flunked the intelligence test (I can't remember the question). The 3rd time, it asked for the last name of the person who invented or created Linux. The only name which came to mind was, Ian Murdoch. And then I wondered, "Do they mean the kernel dude?" And I drew a complete blank: even now, I can see his face but can't think of his name. LOL. So anyhow, I put "Murdoch", and the gatekeeper granted me admission. smile

Welcome, yeah, Linus Torvaldos is the kernel dude. tongue

My reason for avoiding systemd or system dumb if you prefer is simple...  I dislike bloat.  Same reason i dislike dbus, pulseaudio and networkmanager...

Albeit, pulseaudio at least has a small use case... I prefer though sndio and alsa over pulse anytime...  As for dbus, I await the day when I don't need it. But that day may take a very long time to come. hmm

Also don't like DE's much anymore as an edit:

Even Lumina Desktop, as much as I think its good, I prefer i3-wm straight up. smile

Last edited by zapper (2021-01-08 17:30:58)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

Board footer