The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-04 14:05:08

dice
Website

(privacy) surveillance state?

Is the pandemic being used to create a surveillance state?

Say what you will about russel brand, this video is on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMFylHz8RF4

The pandemic has taken surveillance of workers to the next level – but with existing data showing that working from home already achieved better productivity, could there be other motives?

#2 2021-01-04 21:56:09

zapper

Re: (privacy) surveillance state?

dice wrote:

Say what you will about russel brand, this video is on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMFylHz8RF4

The pandemic has taken surveillance of workers to the next level – but with existing data showing that working from home already achieved better productivity, could there be other motives?

He is not the type of person, I agree with on most things, matter of fact, I kind of dislike him for his private life issues...

That all being said,  I don't put it past our government to be doing many terrible things behind our back. They have no sympathy, no limit to how low they will go,

They are basically an abyss of moral decay.  At least as far as the NSA part goes... They want to watch people every given second of every given hour of every given day times 1000.  That is why they continually push for all this surveillance crap... that and, they want to watch their citizens so they know who is with them in their evil plots and who isnt.  They are effectively violating the constitution in almost every way but the 2nd amendment.  Regardless of who supports who, both sides are guilty of supporting the NSA... with exceptions being the progressives... aka, they have less people in power, or this crap would have been cancelled by now... hmm
The supreme court even said the "patriot act" is unconstitutional... and yet they still do it.   

Long story short,   our government's thought process is justice be damned.

We want power, we want...  etc...

It's kind of sad. 

Their power is not going to save them when they are about to die or in the abyss of fire.

Anywho,  I am stunned Russel even cares about this issue. It is startling that he even has a conscience. It is refreshing, like tom cruise going on a rant about people violating social distancing even if he did it for  the wrong reasons. 

Better than our lame duck. tongue

Well actually, don't know where your from, but yeah... usa is a crazy place right now. sad

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#3 2021-01-04 22:10:04

GlennW

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to acknowledge what the governments keep secret, using software and devices to surveil the populace for threats the private sector is using as human management tools to track efficency. Big Brother is already here, slowly, sometimes quickly removing our freedom of choice.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#4 2021-01-05 12:17:07

dice
Website

zapper im from Oz and it is similar to the US in regards to intelligentsia and the bourgeois. Im no fan of the brand but everynow and then he has half decent vids. More to the point though the video was for the most part concerned with invasive anti privacy software and roll out in the workplaces be it work from home or in the workplace itself and the bosses and assholes who like to implement this shit for muh productivity. Im strictly against being monitored, massive invasion of privacy.

Last edited by dice (2021-01-05 12:25:32)

#5 2021-01-05 22:54:57

GlennW

dice wrote:

zapper im from Oz and it is similar to the US in regards to intelligentsia and the bourgeois. Im no fan of the brand but everynow and then he has half decent vids. More to the point though the video was for the most part concerned with invasive anti privacy software and roll out in the workplaces be it work from home or in the workplace itself and the bosses and assholes who like to implement this shit for muh productivity. Im strictly against being monitored, massive invasion of privacy.

Yes, but I can't help but think that it , the surveillance state starts under the rule of law, and the private sector takes it to the limit and then the gubbamnt taps into their systems under the guise of Public Safety.

#6 2021-01-05 23:01:35

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

**** me, I agree with that twat Russel Brand. This truly is the End of Days.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#7 2021-01-06 00:30:48

golinux
Administrator

All empires decay into excess and decadence then are replaced by something "new" which eventually ends  in a similar way.  Why?  Because humans are deeply flawed and do not learn from experience or history.  They just react and make up stories to justify those actions thinking that they are actually important in the grand scheme of things.

#8 2021-01-06 03:24:09

sgage

golinux wrote:

All empires decay into excess and decadence then are replaced by something "new" which eventually ends  in a similar way.  Why?  Because humans are deeply flawed and do not learn from experience or history.  They just react and make up stories to justify those actions thinking that they are actually important in the grand scheme of things.

Golinux FTW! That's really what it boils down to. And no amount of 'tech' is going to change it.

#9 2021-01-06 03:44:18

golinux
Administrator

sgage wrote:

Golinux FTW! That's really what it boils down to. And no amount of 'tech' is going to change it.

Actually, tech makes it worse because it magnifies and accelerates human stupidity.

#10 2021-01-06 04:45:15

siva

dice wrote:

...to further a surveillance state

Fixed that for ya.

#11 2021-01-06 06:09:38

dice
Website

GlennW wrote:
dice wrote:

Yes, but I can't help but think that it , the surveillance state starts under the rule of law, and the private sector takes it to the limit and then the gubbamnt taps into their systems under the guise of Public Safety.

yes it goes hand in hand, but i cant help but think that corporate greed comes into play first then pitched to the .gov to amend the law of the land in their favor. Its a win win situation for both sides, has been ever since 9/11, just ramping it up more and more each decade.

@ golinux, sage words!

@siva, spot on.

#12 2021-01-06 06:38:09

GlennW

"there's money in them thar hills!"

#13 2021-01-06 07:24:36

dice
Website

GlennW wrote:

"there's money in them thar hills!"

" black gold, texas tea! "

#14 2021-01-08 17:44:28

zapper

dice wrote:
GlennW wrote:
dice wrote:

yes it goes hand in hand, but i cant help but think that corporate greed comes into play first then pitched to the .gov to amend the law of the land in their favor. Its a win win situation for both sides, has been ever since 9/11, just ramping it up more and more each decade.

@ golinux, sage words!

@siva, spot on.

Corporate greed does make it worse, yes....

I still fail to understand why people don't realize life is short and thinking amassing large amounts of money WILL NOT, EVER BUY HAPPINESS!
Maybe TEMPORARILY IT WILL, but at some point, you get corrupted, you become evil and later die.

It is all pointless to amass wealth on this world at the cost of your own heart or if you prefer soul.

For the life of me, this is just... insane.    Morality >  Wealth 

Why? Because you won't be happy when your greedy.  At least not for very long anyways.

Long term happiness > short term happiness...

Most of what you guys said, I agree with though.

I don't know if I agree with having no backdoors in all computers, but unless your a corporate entity or a government agency... you should not be spied on unless you have a criminal record.  And even then, there should be a reasonable approach. What we have here is the opposite, its just to keep power for the ruling class and let no one change it.  That is insane.

Snowden thought spying had a place, but only on the very powerful. The people in power should be spied on to make sure they don't abuse their power. As for everyone else though... NO! just no... 

My 2 cents man...

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#15 2021-01-14 21:00:38

mweishaar

dice wrote:

Short answer: No.

Longer answer:  Saying "create" implies there wasn't one prior to 2020.  There most assuredly was.  And sadly, much if not most of it is voluntary.  Most people simply DO NOT CARE.  If they did, Facebook wouldn't exist.  Google wouldn't have as much reach.  Twitter, Amazon, and the list goes on...

This is not to say that those companies don't provide some value, but it comes at a cost.  And one could argue that the value isn't always worth the cost.  There is no conspiracy, people willingly give up their information for whatever value they get from those companies.

That's not to say that the government wasn't in before these companies were.  They were in early.  In the early 90s I started working at one of the biggest cell phone company in the US.  Let's just say that one day several suits were in the office, talking to Sr Management about a need-to-know project.  Rumors were circulating, and then we were promptly informed that we were not to speak of said project ever again.

#16 2021-01-15 02:30:40

andyprough

zapper wrote:

Snowden thought spying had a place, but only on the very powerful. The people in power should be spied on to make sure they don't abuse their power. As for everyone else though... NO! just no... 

My 2 cents man...

Agreed Zap - it's very backward how the government and big tech collect every text message and phone call and email and the entire web history of the poor worker drone who is making $12 an hour. But he has no right to demand transparency from the government or the tech oligarchs.

#17 2021-01-15 03:22:13

dice
Website

mweishaar wrote:
dice wrote:

Short answer: No.

Longer answer:  Saying "create" implies there wasn't one prior to 2020.  There most assuredly was.  And sadly, much if not most of it is voluntary.  Most people simply DO NOT CARE.  If they did, Facebook wouldn't exist.  Google wouldn't have as much reach.  Twitter, Amazon, and the list goes on...

This is not to say that those companies don't provide some value, but it comes at a cost.  And one could argue that the value isn't always worth the cost.  There is no conspiracy, people willingly give up their information for whatever value they get from those companies.

That's not to say that the government wasn't in before these companies were.  They were in early.  In the early 90s I started working at one of the biggest cell phone company in the US.  Let's just say that one day several suits were in the office, talking to Sr Management about a need-to-know project.  Rumors were circulating, and then we were promptly informed that we were not to speak of said project ever again.

siva corrected that back at post 10 https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=26589#p26589

btw, "Is the pandemic being used to create a surveillance state?" is the title of the youtube video.

I get what you are saying though, I suppose the world russel brand lives in only just became aware of it?

#18 2021-01-15 03:25:51

golinux
Administrator

@dice . . . the surveillance state has been here for centuries in different forms.  It is well explained by Eben Moglen at re:publica 2012 in Berlin.  Almost 10 years later, the hole has gotten even deeper.

#19 2021-01-16 09:59:09

zapper

andyprough wrote:
zapper wrote:

My 2 cents man...

Agreed Zap - it's very backward how the government and big tech collect every text message and phone call and email and the entire web history of the poor worker drone who is making $12 an hour. But he has no right to demand transparency from the government or the tech oligarchs.

Yep, mhm...

I think the best way to call this, is corporate fascism. 

That's my thoughts personally, although to each their own...

But yeah... pcs are not personal unless coreboot is installed and no firmware blobs are required to run wifi, graphics, etc...

Thinkpad x230s are good for this purpose... albeit somewhat slow. ;>)

At least from what some people say. I myself find the speed very good.  Intel me disabled, stripped down, coreboot on and WALA!

A laptop that doesn't suck major dong...

smile

But on topic,  yeah... corporations and government need to be spied on not the other way around... hmm

Peace Be With us All!

#20 2021-01-16 13:33:38

dice
Website

golinux wrote:

@dice . . . the surveillance state has been here for centuries in different forms.  It is well explained by Eben Moglen at re:publica 2012 in Berlin.  Almost 10 years later, the hole has gotten even deeper.

Eben looks like Richard Stallmans younger brother. As ((they)) say, nothing in life is free, there is always a catch!

Last edited by dice (2021-01-16 13:36:41)

Board footer