The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#451 2020-09-20 15:06:35

HevyDevy

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Ah, good to know, thanks! big_smile

EDIT: so I take it that you don't know how to package then? This is a good guide: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debmake-doc/

And also:

HevyDevy wrote:
sudo cp -r obmenu-generator/schema.pl ~/.config/obmenu-generator

Why recursively copy a single file to $HOME as root? That makes no sense at all hmm

EDIT2: and why install the build-essential package? It doesn't supply anything that's needed for your suggestion.

It's almost as if you don't know what you're talking about...

LOL

https://sysdfree.wordpress.com/2018/02/15/165/

#452 2020-09-20 15:10:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Oh dear, I feel bad now — I actually know the original author of that guide from the BunsenLabs forums and their site is very good in general but that particular guide does have a few issues and it is somewhat outdated — my Debian packages are now linked directly from trizen's github page and so are considered "good enough" by the obmenu-generator creator.

You shouldn't blindly trust everything you read on the interweb wink

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#453 2020-09-20 15:16:19

HevyDevy

Why did you stop posting over at bunsenlabs?

I knew the error in that sysdfree instruction, was waiting on you to correct it.

#454 2020-09-20 15:19:10

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

HevyDevy wrote:

Why did you stop posting over at bunsenlabs?

Personal reasons. I can't discuss them in public, sorry.

#455 2020-09-20 15:22:56

HevyDevy

Birds of a feather, flock together.

#456 2020-09-21 17:03:21

MiyoLinux

rayburn,

Came back from vacation a day early... tongue

I just ran updates, and had no issues. The menu still works perfectly. yikes

So...

I reinstalled the entire system. Ran updates. The menu is still working perfectly. yikes

I did notice there was an update for libgtk3-perl, so perhaps that will fix the issue for you if you run updates again.

Also, there is an alternative menu that I provided in ~/.config/openbox/Other-Menu

It uses openbox-menu to provide the applications menu.

Directions are in the Release Notes (if you still have them). tongue

If you don't have them and want to try the other menu, just copy the menu.xml file from the Other-Menu folder into the openbox folder, and overwrite the existing one.

EDITED TO ADD...

Then, open the terminal or Run Command, and enter...

openbox --reconfigure

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2020-09-21 21:14:31)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#457 2020-09-21 18:44:44

MiyoLinux

HevyDevy wrote:

Or you could do this...

First sudo apt-get install build-essential cpanminus git

then

git clone git://github.com/trizen/obmenu-generator
    sudo cp obmenu-generator/obmenu-generator /usr/bin
    sudo cp -r obmenu-generator/schema.pl ~/.config/obmenu-generator
    sudo cpanm Linux::DesktopFiles
    sudo cpanm Data::Dump
    sudo chmod 777 /usr/bin/obmenu-generator

and finally

obmenu-generator -d

I need to update my instructions to include libgtk3-perl...anyway, here are my personal instructions for installing it on NuTyX, Arch (not from the AUR), PCLinuxOS, and Devuan/Debian...  smile

https://miyolinux.weebly.com/obmenu-generator.html

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#458 2020-09-21 18:53:01

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

https://miyolinux.weebly.com/obmenu-generator.html wrote:
cpanm Data::Dump
cpanm File::DesktopEntry

Note that both of those perl modules are already packaged for Devuan:

https://pkginfo.devuan.org/stage/beowul … .22-1.html

https://pkginfo.devuan.org/stage/beowul … .23-1.html

EDIT: s/Debian/Devuan/

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2020-09-21 18:54:30)

#459 2020-09-21 20:34:30

MiyoLinux

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
https://miyolinux.weebly.com/obmenu-generator.html wrote:
cpanm Data::Dump
cpanm File::DesktopEntry

Note that both of those perl modules are already packaged for Devuan:

https://pkginfo.devuan.org/stage/beowul … .22-1.html

https://pkginfo.devuan.org/stage/beowul … .23-1.html

EDIT: s/Debian/Devuan/

Thanks HoaS. I wasn't aware of that.

#460 2020-09-21 21:15:41

MiyoLinux

Edited my last post directed toward rayburn... tongue

#461 2020-10-09 18:08:37

rayburn

MiyoLinux wrote:

Edited my last post directed toward rayburn... tongue

Well rayburn has now finally found time to reply.... : )

Thank you so much Miyo for going to that trouble, I really appreciate it. I did give up on that problem eventually and reinstalled a fresh version, the problem with the menu has disappeared (for now....).

My thanks again for all your help, and apologies for the long delay in replying, but I have been very busy with work.

Last edited by rayburn (2020-10-09 18:09:12)

#462 2020-11-11 12:56:01

MiyoLinux

If anyone is using MiyoLinux-Rolling, and an update broke your right-click menu, you can fix it by running the following commands in a terminal...

Preface this first command with su (or sudo)...

cpanm Linux::DesktopFiles

Don't use su or sudo for this second command...

obmenu-generator -p -i

#463 2021-11-07 07:37:22

brday

golinux wrote:

We're all waiting for fsmithred's HOWTO.  wink

Was it published the HOWTO ?

#464 2021-11-07 14:12:01

fsmithred
Administrator

brday wrote:
golinux wrote:

We're all waiting for fsmithred's HOWTO.  wink

Was it published the HOWTO ?

At least give me a hint. What am I supposed to have written?

#465 2021-11-10 01:08:51

Ron

Hi Miyo, are there any versions of Miyo that don't use pulseaudio? Thanks.

#466 2021-11-10 01:25:22

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

Hi Miyo, are there any versions of Miyo that don't use pulseaudio? Thanks.

The 2020 versions of Miyo Rolling (based on Devuan Ceres) don't use it. Those .isos use either the Openbox and Wmderland window manager. Wmderland is a tiling window manager...like i3-gaps, but it's configuration file is easier to edit for people new to tiling window managers.

Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyoli … 0-Release/

OSDN: https://osdn.net/projects/miyolinux/releases/72248

I do fresh installs of both of them monthly to see if they upgrade okay without having to jump through a bunch'a hoops to fix stuff.

Though the .isos are over a year old, they still upgrade fine...well...the Openbox version needs a little fix for the menu, but it's easy and documented in the readme file on Sourceforge. I've made others in the past that don't use pulse, but I've made so many releases of Miyo that I can't keep up with what I did on what. tongue

Thanks for the interest Ron! Sorry I couldn't be more specific about older versions.

#467 2021-11-10 01:30:55

Ron

MiyoLinux wrote:

The 2020 versions of Miyo Rolling (based on Devuan Ceres) don't use it.

So is this the Ceres which became Devuan 4?

#468 2021-11-10 03:32:14

MiyoLinux

No.

Ceres is the equivalent of Debian Sid...which is unstable.

It's not for everyone.
You get the most up-to-date packages that Debian provides; however, your system could break if you're not sure what you're doing. I've been running Ceres for well over 2 years...cause I know what to do n'stuff.  tongue

#469 2021-11-14 13:02:46

Ron

Okay, so I installed it and so far things are well. Actually, they're better. A week ago I installed the current Devuan, and I was getting horrible screen tearing in my browser. On this Miyo (ceres) I'm not.  👍  Any idea what is the difference?

#470 2021-11-14 15:24:43

Ogis1975
Website

Ron wrote:

Okay, so I installed it and so far things are well. Actually, they're better. Any idea what is the difference?

I think the problem is that you have a new hardware. Ceres ships with new packages and newer kernel. But keep in mind, however, that Chimera is a testing ground. Also,  don't prefer testing if security is a concern.

Last edited by Ogis1975 (2021-11-14 15:25:04)

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#471 2021-11-14 17:37:43

golinux
Administrator

Ogis1975 wrote:

Ceres ships with new packages and newer kernel. But keep in mind, however, that Chimera is a testing ground. Also,  don't prefer testing if security is a concern.

Chimaera is now our STABLE release.  Daedalus is "testing".

#472 2021-11-14 18:05:08

Ogis1975
Website

golinux wrote:

Chimaera is now our STABLE release.  Daedalus is "testing".

Yes, yes. I made a mistake. it's just my typographical error. I wanted to write ceres smile

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#473 2021-11-14 22:50:47

MiyoLinux

Thanks Ogis1975. smile

To anyone reading this, if you read the release-notes, I said to do a dist-upgrade each time you ran updates on ceres (miyo-rolling). I was shortsighted on this, because I assumed that people would know what to do if they encountered a problem.

So, just in case this helps...this is "a really basic look at" how I run unstable...you may get differing opinions or extra ways from different people.
smile

When running unstable, there are times when a package (or several packages) may be held back, packages removed automatically, packages with bugs, etc. Therefore, it's better to just use an upgrade instead of a dist-upgrade under normal circumstances. There are ways to go ahead and upgrade those held back package(s); however, I generally just wait until the maintainers have removed those package(s) from being "held back".

Running unstable isn't as scary as it sounds. I remember when I first started using Debian Sid on the now defunct Semplice Linux. I was told on the forums that I would learn to tame Sid. I didn't believe it at the time, but it was true. It's not that hard, and I grew to prefer unstable...

Just pay attention to what apt tells you and respond accordingly. wink

If running a dist-upgrade, and it says that it's going to remove packages (this is different than apt telling you to run an apt autoremove), I say no to the dist-upgrade...wait a day, two, or three...then try again. That doesn't happen very often. When I ran Debian Sid, it seemed to happen a lot more often...and usually had something to do with the init that shan't be named. I think I may have seen it once or twice since I've been running Ceres...but then again, my personal systems don't have much on them to get serious bugs. Hahaha! tongue

Then again, it took me about 2 or 3 tries before I eventually made unstable my regular system (back before the birth of Devuan). Like I said before, it's not for everyone.

Last but not least, a final word of wisdom for you to ponder...

The oldest picture of you is the youngest picture of you. yikes wink tongue

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2021-11-15 00:40:24)

#474 2021-11-16 01:13:53

Ron

Running Miyo ceres. I installed Mate and deleted Openbox. Can I delete the Xfce power manager without any consequences? I ask because in my notes for the old version of Miyo it says don't deleted it (I'm assuming that instruction came from MiyoLinux but it's been so long ago I can't remember). However, I know it's not running and the Mate manager is.

#475 2021-11-16 02:38:46

MiyoLinux

Hi Ron!

The xfce4 power manager was installed independently for ease of use to help people; therefore, YES...it can be removed without issues.

I always remove it myself. wink

Board footer