The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-06 17:06:56

mckaygerhard
Website

how to setup installer with different desktop rather than Xfce4

in task installer in lasted steps, there some choices..
"Desktop environment",
"Xfce",
"Utilidades.."

who we can include another desktop chice here? for disk/usb installer

#2 2017-06-06 23:21:07

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: how to setup installer with different desktop rather than Xfce4

If you would like to see lxde and mate in that list, use the DVD instead of the CD.

#3 2017-06-12 15:22:58

mckaygerhard
Website

fsmithred wrote:

If you would like to see lxde and mate in that list, use the DVD instead of the CD.

i want to produce a CD with LXDE not use a DVD already made with LXDE... like Debian permist for users,.. by example custom cd, apt-cd etc

#4 2017-06-12 19:36:10

fsmithred
Administrator

aptoncd is in the repo.

The live isos have tools for making your own live iso from the running system. (refractasnapshot copies the running system with all your changes and configurations).

#5 2017-06-13 01:19:34

mckaygerhard
Website

aptoncd makes only custom package disk, i want to produce installer disc

refracta only copies the system, i want produce live/devuan like Debian oficial way!

this its so frustrating.. i'm goin again to Debian wiki doc site.. Devuan seems more and more like a moda... many things rely on Debian without a oficial response

#6 2017-06-13 06:16:05

Somewhat Reticent

mckaygerhard wrote:

… i want to produce installer disc

refracta only copies the system, i want produce live/devuan like Debian oficial way!…

While running a live system, have you tried editing /etc/refractasnapshot.conf to redirect work_dir and snapshot_dir to enough R/W-mounted (Linux filesystem storage to hold a copy of the (unsquashed!) filesystem plus the ISO? smile

#7 2017-06-13 11:00:10

fsmithred
Administrator

mckaygerhard wrote:

aptoncd makes only custom package disk, i want to produce installer disc

refracta only copies the system, i want produce live/devuan like Debian oficial way!

aptoncd was the closest thing I could find in the repo to what you said. How do you do it in debian? What is stopping you from doing it the same way in devuan? 99% of the packages in devuan come directly from debian without changes, so the tools you want should be available.

#8 2017-06-13 15:15:05

mckaygerhard
Website

fsmithred wrote:

aptoncd was the closest thing I could find in the repo to what you said. How do you do it in debian? What is stopping you from doing it the same way in devuan? 99% of the packages in devuan come directly from debian without changes, so the tools you want should be available.

unless you are not devuan expert, i xpected more from devuan related administrators..

i must then adapt to devuan AGAINB other Debian only feature:

we have to do custom disc this on Debian:
1) https://wiki.debian.org/DebianCustomCD in this we must modify the apt mirror to only set required packages due repo are huge
2) https://wiki.debian.org/Simple-CDD/Howto this its a wrapper around your sugestion, but works perfectly for squeeze (i not use moder slowly linux)

i want to build a Devuan offline disc with LXDE desktop but without many modifications like the Devuan derivatives ... most in the Devian derivative rules, i mean Devuan only related..

organization and information are missed! there's many derivates from Devuan but have too many modifications from base

another its the horrible color combinations that some users dont like.. seems only like to the devuan related project members

#9 2017-06-13 15:16:26

mckaygerhard
Website

fsmithred wrote:

99% of the packages in devuan come directly from debian without changes, so the tools you want should be available.

there are missing packages, by example the sqlite3 odbc libs

#10 2017-06-13 23:14:38

fsmithred
Administrator

mckaygerhard wrote:

i must then adapt to devuan AGAINB other Debian only feature:

we have to do custom disc this on Debian:
1) https://wiki.debian.org/DebianCustomCD in this we must modify the apt mirror to only set required packages due repo are huge
2) https://wiki.debian.org/Simple-CDD/Howto this its a wrapper around your sugestion, but works perfectly for squeeze (i not use moder slowly linux)

i want to build a Devuan offline disc with LXDE desktop but without many modifications like the Devuan derivatives ... most in the Devian derivative rules, i mean Devuan only related..

What part of those procedures failed when you tried them in devuan? If any of the tools are missing, which ones?

And regarding the missing sqlite lib, it's in stretch, ascii and ceres. It's not in jessie. You can blame debian for that.

# aptitude search sqlite |grep odbc
p   libsqliteodbc                   - ODBC driver for SQLite embedded database  

# apt-cache policy libsqliteodbc
libsqliteodbc:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 0.9995-1
  Version table:
     0.9995-1 0
        500 http://debian.csail.mit.edu/debian/ stretch/main amd64 Packages
        100 http://us.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ ascii/main amd64 Packages
         90 http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ ceres/main amd64 Packages

#11 2017-06-14 01:41:45

mckaygerhard
Website

fsmithred wrote:

What part of those procedures failed when you tried them in devuan? If any of the tools are missing, which ones?

i ask for devuan specific info or docs, not for debian but if not are another info that its missing and must be adapted without tested... that's all

well i just that, i will write a how to and post feedback later.. i adapt to devuan to property use

and the sqlite was only one of many..

in debian JESSIE there's sqlite odbc package.. and in devuan jeesie there's not..

that package are present since wheeze release! so must revise how devuan made the things.. i guess the devuan repository are some king of mirror from debian ..

i said again: be serius

#12 2017-06-14 03:10:11

golinux
Administrator

@mckaygerhard . . . If you want to continue to post here, please be more respectful of those who are trying to help you.  Insulting Devuan or Devuan developers is not going to go well for you.  An attitude adjustment is in order . . .

#13 2017-06-14 05:45:59

Somewhat Reticent

Small point of reference:  this finds matching packages in oldstable/wheezy, testing/stretch, and unstable/sid - but not in stable/jessie.  Go figure.
OhTheOtherHand, there are packages aplenty in stable/jessie for either sqlite xOR odbc - just not both.
Life gets complicated.

#14 2017-06-14 06:06:24

smoki

mckaygerhard wrote:

in debian JESSIE there's sqlite odbc package.. and in devuan jeesie there's not..

Here is the search for 'libsqliteodbc' on debian packages, so as you can see certainly it is not in jessie:

https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw … ection=all

There you can spot it was removed cos of 'Bug #771669: segfault on SQLPrepare SELECT with expression result column'

https://packages.qa.debian.org/s/sqlite … 3914Z.html

And it seems was never returned back in jessie, basically Debian prob.

I can only guess that maybe you are running debian jessie from before its release and if installed, that package is there but just for you smile Or maybe you have some weird repo combinations enabled there so it came from somewhere else. etc...

Last edited by smoki (2017-06-14 06:25:19)

#15 2017-06-14 10:24:36

mckaygerhard
Website

hi smoky, quite strange as Somewhat Reticent said, i have that package in Devuan and other Debian installed and working without that problem, i assumed that was just fixed the bug..  i must search now..

smoki wrote:
mckaygerhard wrote:

Here is the search for 'libsqliteodbc' on debian packages, so as you can see certainly it is not in jessie:

https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw … ection=all

There you can spot it was removed cos of 'Bug #771669: segfault on SQLPrepare SELECT with expression result column'

https://packages.qa.debian.org/s/sqlite … 3914Z.html

And it seems was never returned back in jessie, basically Debian prob.

I can only guess that maybe you are running debian jessie from before its release and if installed, that package is there but just for you smile Or maybe you have some weird repo combinations enabled there so it came from somewhere else. etc...

#16 2017-06-14 10:37:10

mckaygerhard
Website

hi golinux, and rest of people, I mentioned that I'm going to generate documentation, that is, I'm going to contribute, but I'm not going to lie about something I do not see, I can not see the things that are not, and what I see is changes and experiments,

if something is not here we have to assume and say "It's true there is not, but we can manufacture it" and that's what I want to do .. but I do not have the same resources as you or others .. why should I be discriminated by that?

if i criticed in some offending way, sorry for that, but this was also bad and not right: https://talk.devuan.org/t/stop-talking/684

My purpose is to help those who wish to collaborate but do not know where or how ... do not have time but want to do something ... they do not have the money but they want to get involved, they do not have a powerful machine but they want to install it ..

golinux wrote:

@mckaygerhard . . . If you want to continue to post here, please be more respectful of those who are trying to help you.  Insulting Devuan or Devuan developers is not going to go well for you.  An attitude adjustment is in order . . .

nowi golinux , the question its that i want to change the default XFce4 desktop in original disc set for LXDE due Devuan does not offers LXDE only disc, only derivates do.. but i not have the guidelines for.. only Debian references..

i want to do something on Devuan but as today i not have the docs.. and the current documentation are very confused, many changes...

git.debuan.org seems very quiet.. and i not have stable internet connection so i must do any thing mostly offline (i emulated the network complety at my work)

the project cannot assumed all the people have a powered hardware and lof of resources.. not all the contributors have pleny of resources.. in this case we are discriminating ...

and i just said i will generate some docs for rest of people, my target its the contribution.. but not

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-06-14 10:38:56)

#17 2017-06-14 14:01:59

fsmithred
Administrator

I haven't tried it, but I expect that you would only need to change the source of the packages, and the custom-CD and simple-CDD instructions should work with devuan. If you use that procedure and just note the changes you had to make, that would be helpful.

In one of the posts above, you mentioned wanting to make a live-CD. You can use live-build from the repository to do that. You could also use live-sdk (not packaged) or refractasnapshot (in experimental repo) as alternate methods. There are some threads in the Documentation section of the forum regarding live-build and live-sdk.

#18 2017-06-14 14:14:29

mckaygerhard
Website

fsmithred wrote:

In one of the posts above, you mentioned wanting to make a live-CD. You can use live-build from the repository to do that. You could also use live-sdk (not packaged) or refractasnapshot (in experimental repo) as alternate methods. There are some threads in the Documentation section of the forum regarding live-build and live-sdk.

some info about changin the default task of XFCe4? i tried repackagin the task-data package but no luck.. the result its a package that not register my changes...

umm maybe i need to modify its the installer.. but i dont know if the devuan installer modify too much from debian installer...

so inconclusion i'll try the debina-way and will adapt if something are not like devuan must be

If you use that procedure and just note the changes you had to make, that would be helpful.

be cool, i'll do it and produce good docs ..

#19 2017-06-14 14:34:48

golinux
Administrator

mckaygerhard wrote:

nowi golinux , the question its that i want to change the default XFce4 desktop in original disc set for LXDE due Devuan does not offers LXDE only disc, only derivates do.. but i not have the guidelines for.. only Debian references..
i want to do something on Devuan but as today i not have the docs.. and the current documentation are very confused, many changes...

Debian Jessie references that are not systemd related should be valid for Devuan.  Sometimes Wheezy references might be helpful too.

the project cannot assumed all the people have a powered hardware and lof of resources.. not all the contributors have pleny of resources.. in this case we are discriminating ...

Well, I work on a 32 bit machine with 4 gb of ram and a 15" monitor.  That's hardly powerful hardware but I'm not complaining.  People deal with ISP throttling, unstable connections and socio-economic discrimination even in US.  That's hardly Devuan's fault.

#20 2017-06-14 14:59:48

mckaygerhard
Website

golinux wrote:

Well, I work on a 32 bit machine with 4 gb of ram and a 15" monitor.  That's hardly powerful hardware but I'm not complaining.  People deal with ISP throttling, unstable connections and socio-economic discrimination even in US.  That's hardly Devuan's fault.

that's its a really very powerfully hardware here! very expensive here! i my job i have very very resources.. but my house machine its 512MB ram, Celeron uniprocesor, but with right system i see good movies... and have runnig video editors

#21 2017-06-14 15:14:16

golinux
Administrator

mckaygerhard wrote:

that's its a really very powerfully hardware here! very expensive here! i my job i have very very resources.. but my house machine its 512MB ram, Celeron uniprocesor, but with right system i see good movies... and have runnig video editors

Ouch!  I actually have a machine like that in the back room that I retired years ago . . .

#22 2017-06-14 16:01:30

mckaygerhard
Website

return to the topic, i can see that the task in installer of Devuan are related to the installer sources itsef right? how its the process for and where i must change the desktop choice?

Ouch!  I actually have a machine like that in the back room that I retired years ago . . .

my machine are working and i have more special setups, like the focused blog for eeepc 2g 4g Asus laptops see it: debianeepc2gsurf.blogspot.com

#23 2017-06-14 16:32:15

golinux
Administrator

mckaygerhard wrote:

. . .i can see that the task in installer of Devuan are related to the installer sources itsef right? how its the process for and where i must change the desktop choice?

I did not make those changes myself but watched the process from the sidelines.   I don't know that there is a howto for that anywhere.   It's a complicated process that I understand starts with rootskel and rootskel-gtk.  They are in the project list on this forum or search for them directly on git . . .

#24 2017-06-14 17:19:48

Somewhat Reticent

What about converting with a live DebIan Lxde ISO to Devuan, then using refractasnapshot?

#25 2017-06-14 17:40:23

fsmithred
Administrator

Somewhat Reticent wrote:

What about converting with a live DebIan Lxde ISO to Devuan, then using refractasnapshot?

If you're going to use refractasnapshot, it would be easier to install from a devuan installer iso, configure the system how you want it, and then make the live iso from that. I could have an lxde live iso in a couple hours that way. I don't know how to incorporate debian-installer in that without cheating. (cheating by unpacking an installer iso and adding the /live folder from a live iso, then repacking the installer iso.)

Keep in mind the difference between the two methods. The installer isos contain packages or download packages and then install and configure them. The refracta tools just make rsync copies of the filesystem and then either add live components into the iso when making a snapshot or adding a bootloader when installing.

Board footer