The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-15 20:29:43

nobodyuknow

Do desktops contain systemd code?

I was surfing through Sparky Linux documentation and noticed that I could install a Budgie desktop via "sudo apt-get install budgie-desktop" which I assume comes directly from Debian. That would work in Devuan only if Budgie did not contain systemd nastiness. Do desktops contain systemd code?

#2 2020-02-15 20:52:06

golinux
Administrator

Re: Do desktops contain systemd code?

Budgie is not on the banned packages list and is in our repos.

#3 2020-02-15 22:56:04

nobodyuknow

Thanks for the reply. I looked at Distrowatch which did not include Budgie as a desktop, but then again Distrowatch is hardly definitive.

I found two ISOs that look promising, netinst and minimal. Is the latter an Openbox installation? I'd prefer to not install a complex desktop I will never use. Openbox is just enough to get around.

#4 2020-02-15 23:20:54

golinux
Administrator

nobodyuknow wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I looked at Distrowatch which did not include Budgie as a desktop, but then again Distrowatch is hardly definitive.

I had never heard of budgie till your post and I've been working on Devuan since the fork.

nobodyuknow wrote:

I found two ISOs that look promising, netinst and minimal. Is the latter an Openbox installation? I'd prefer to not install a complex desktop I will never use. Openbox is just enough to get around.

Please reference the index page of the devuan.org website for a description of the various isos,

Also from the Devuan.org website:

Desktop Environments     Default: Xfce
Alternate: Cinnamon, KDE, LXQt, MATE
Others: available post-install

Note that there is an openbox theme in the clearlooks-phenix-darkpurpy and -cinnabar to coordinate with the release's default color theme.

Board footer