The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-18 01:51:39

0xf4b10

NoScript-like tool for Palemoon 27.9

I always wanted to use a decent browser that doesn't use my data (like google's) so I used to use Firefox. But now, given the recent news about this second browser I'm moving away from it. I'm trying Brave which is quite nice except for some bugs which makes browsing kinda annoying sometimes. Therefore I decided to use Palemoon (though I don't know if it is the best choice yet, suggestions welcome). The problem is I didn't found a extension for it that was so good as NoScript used to be to FF before the recent updates.

The main point here is that NoScript had a way to block each script executed not only by the site itself but also by third parties, who used it knows what I'm talking about. All other Noscript-like addons I found are very dull which only allows you to either block everything on the website on allow everything.

So, anyone knows a way to install this extension on Palemoon? Suggestions for others good browsers are welcome.

#2 2018-05-18 02:25:03

golinux
Administrator

Re: NoScript-like tool for Palemoon 27.9

You might want to look at this thread.

#3 2018-05-18 03:25:19

figdev

0xf4b10 wrote:

Suggestions for others good browsers are welcome.

i think xombrero has per-site javascript blocking built-in, but it crashes a lot in jessie (drag a pic or right click and inspect element-- oh, it didnt save your session...)

i cant tell if its abandonware or not, but i tried it in ascii where it seems to have "gained" stability-- or was jessie the real culprit? (that seems quite unlikely.)

incidentally, i think all browsers are awful. no such thing as a good one. you just have to decide what kind of lousy is best for your needs. the web itself is as bloated and slapped together as systemd, if the internet is around for another 50 years im (almost) confident we will find an alternative to the web-- even knowing just exactly how nutty that sounds.

something more like libreoffice; the web is closer to microsoft office. even html5 (for all its good) has eme and whatwg and w3c are not doing this all for you or for us-- even if html5 stemmed the monopolistic horror that is adobe. so *any browser* will either be limited and nearly useless or bloated and terrible. imo, naturally! this will keep coming up, -moz-osx-font-smoothing... the browser wars really never ended, we just have a very bloated browser cold war.

in the next few years the most practical browser choice just might be "code one in python, using webkit." laugh all you want, there are people around here that are up to it and it could have prevented half of the things people are complaining about right now... unless you cant make that stop javascript per-site, but surely you could?

#4 2018-05-18 04:02:04

Ron

You can use "NoScript Classic" (5.1.8.5) on Pale Moon. It's at the link below,  after the first paragraph. Or you can try uBlock Origin as an advanced user (you have to tick "I'm an advanced user" on uBo's dashboard). It will do what you want, but does work a little bit differently than NS. I've switch to it and removed NoScript on my computer, but still have NoScript classic on two other computers in the house.

https://noscript.net/getit

If you decide to go with uBlock Origin, you need the "so-called legacy" version here:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/relea … acy-1.16.4

Last edited by Ron (2018-05-18 04:29:06)

#5 2018-05-19 01:21:39

0xf4b10

Thank you all, it was very helpful. I'm also trying now the package Ungoogled-chromium (btw, what is your opinion on this one?) which is a version of open source chromium without all integrations from Google. If I succed in building it, I'll post a how-to here.
Thank you

#6 2020-01-27 22:31:02

rmottola
Website

Arctic Fox :-P :-P
at least, it is friendlier for distributions to package than PaleMoon and better than 27.9, although PM 28.x is much better in terms of compatibility.

#7 2020-01-28 23:51:17

pcalvert

I am using NoScript (v. 5.1.9) on Palemoon. Palemoon tries to dissuade people from installing NoScript, but you can safely ignore the warning and install it anyway. NoScript seems to work just fine on Palemoon.

Phil

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

Board footer