The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-03 23:54:21

T-wax

DeVuan review in Full Circle Magazine

I decided to read the articles in this magazine and was very happy to see a review of DeVuan in the magazine)

fcm-dvn.png

Issue 149 (September 2019)
Page 44

https://dl.fullcirclemagazine.org/issue149_en.pdf

Last edited by T-wax (2019-11-03 23:56:15)

#2 2019-11-04 01:35:02

Ron

Re: DeVuan review in Full Circle Magazine

Why are they capitalizing the "v"?

#3 2019-11-04 01:40:00

golinux
Administrator

And spelling it wrong in places too: DeVaun

#4 2019-11-04 02:07:34

bgstack15

A magazine-format publication, that does things right, with the hyperlinks! And proper page layout should anybody ever print the thing! This could almost persuade me to like Ubuntu. That was such a great experience, I think I will have to read this magazine going forward. Of course I've got a stray Ubuntu install somewhere, mostly as Xubuntu. However, I typically have been a CentOS or now Devuan guy.

Anyway, to the article at hand. I thought it was quite nice the fellow wrote a whole review. I appreciate the casual yet still formal-enough writing style. He stylizes Devuan funny. The very Linuxy thing to say: "Set it up so it works for YOU!" was pretty nice, even though he repeats it a lot.

Of course the "plain" and "boxy" interface of Xfce reminds him of boring old Windows 95/98. I think that's why people choose it: it works, as expected, is low key, and doesn't get in the way. I'm a little surprised when he was editing the panels the little red dashed outline didn't appear on the current panel. It always does that for me, running Devuan ceres with Xfce. His panel transparency didn't work: I haven't tried it myself, but I would certainly expect it to depend on desktop compositing, which is not obvious to a "general user."

His experience with setting the wallpaper: that is an Xfce thing that is fairly typical. I consider it a minor deficiency in the wallpaper chooser, but as he found, it's not hard to do it another way. If I recall correctly, all you have to do in the wallpaper settings is to select "Choose a directory" or some such, from the drop down, which is not obvious.

"XFCE's implementation of bash." Because of course I'm being picky and crotchety, it's Xfce's terminal emulator. It's still the same old bash everyone else uses. But I think most people know what he means. And his choice of Control-Alt-T is just a default different from his. I think that is a Xubuntu thing. Ah, which is probably derived from Ubuntu proper. Hm.

He talks about how wicd is better than the built-in powerful wifi management program. Is he talking about wpa_supplicant? Perhaps he just is not accurate here. I don't really know what I'm talking about either, but Devuan did introduce me to wicd which I absolutely love, even if only because it's not spelled NetworkManager.

----
A Linux-themed crossword puzzle?! I think I'm in love. However, I apparently really suck at Linux trivia.

This space intentionally left blank.

#5 2019-11-04 13:01:37

freemedia2018

bgstack15 wrote:

Of course the "plain" and "boxy" interface of Xfce reminds him of boring old Windows 95/98.

odd, i use a truly 98-like interface (icewm) and xfce is much closer to xp, apart from the other things it can do.

i used to promote gnome 2 (now mate) for people who were leaving windows recently, lxde for people who had slow machines or preferred something light on resources, and xfce as a nice compromise between them. when gnome went more like it is today and didnt care what anybody said about it, i started promoting xfce in its place.

i still like lighter-weight stuff but this is one area where options make a world of difference. i understand why reviews talk about the default experience, but i wish they went beyond that and didnt talk like the de/wm is welded to the rest of the system like some kind of apple product. was it easy enough to change desktops? ok then. (asking for the world here, i realise.)

with that said, the full-circle soup "could use more flavour, and the portions were too small!" it is exciting that theyre covering non-ubuntu distros and even more exciting that theyve chosen a free license for their magazine. kudos there.

Last edited by freemedia2018 (2019-11-04 13:05:50)

monopolies are able to change free software so it better serves their freedom than ours.

why is that so difficult to prove to many free software advocates, and what is it that stops them from caring?

#6 2019-11-05 23:56:40

T-wax

Ron wrote:

Why are they capitalizing the "v"?

heh, maybe it's an accent on SysV

#7 2019-11-09 08:44:15

bimon

Why not reviewing a Devuan with Trinity desktop environment?

Outlook.jpg

https://cdn-12.anonfile.com/yee0r2A7nf/ … utlook.jpg

Click on the image for a full size.

Last edited by bimon (2019-11-09 08:45:04)

#8 2019-11-09 16:09:58

golinux
Administrator

bimon wrote:

Why not reviewing a Devuan with Trinity desktop environment?

Because Devuan does not offer Trinity as an option.  The possibility was discussed several years ago but went nowhere.  The Devuan derivative http://exegnulinux.net uses Trinity.

Board footer