The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-09-18 21:38:27

MiyoLinux

Re: [MiyoLinux] Update on the Update Notifier

There you go being all reasonable'n stuff...  big_smile

Thanks fsr! I'll stick with just Synaptic.

One last question (anyone's input is welcome)...for the "Would you like to update your system now?" window...

Would the words plus icons...or...just the words alone be preferable on the buttons?

Thanks!

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#52 2019-09-18 21:49:41

Ron

So is the updater now ready for prime time?

#53 2019-09-18 22:09:15

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

So is the updater now ready for prime time?

I'll upload it later tonight and post here when  it can be downloaded. smile

Thanks Ron.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#54 2019-09-18 22:40:30

golinux
Administrator

If I were to use it  . . . the lighter the better.  Nags even for good things should be minimal.  I demand it in my world.

#55 2019-09-19 04:26:48

MiyoLinux

golinux wrote:

If I were to use it  . . . the lighter the better.  Nags even for good things should be minimal.  I demand it in my world.

smile

That's one of the nice things about it...it's not running constantly in the background. It only runs when told to by the script. I haven't checked it with top or htop, but I have noticed that when it does run, the RAM usage showing in my conky only goes up about 10 MBs for a few seconds (while it checks for updates) then the RAM drops right back down. wink

#56 2019-09-19 04:46:14

golinux
Administrator

Actually, I was not speaking about light on resources but unobtrusive visually.  wink  That's one honkin' humongous popup!  This is not in any way to suggest you change a thing.  I was just messin' with you a bit . . .  big_smile  It's a brilliant execution of a function that many will find useful.

#57 2019-09-19 04:51:08

MiyoLinux

Oh.

LOL! tongue

That last picture with the 4 buttons? That's no longer an option. wink

Actually, I'm waiting to hear back from someone about something. So...I'm still working on it. I probably won't get it uploaded tonight like I said that I would.

#58 2019-09-20 09:11:22

MiyoLinux

Hi everyone. I'm sorry...I was going to upload the update notifier today, but my internet has been having a nervous-jerkdown. It won't stay connected for over a minute or two.  neutral

I'll try again tomorrow.

#59 2019-09-21 09:28:56

MiyoLinux

Okay! Connection issues are better today but still going in and out. tongue  At least I was able to get the Update Notifier(s) uploaded!

Actually, the connection issues proved beneficial and gave me the time and opportunity to make some executive decisions...which I hope are explained well enough in the quote from the readme file below. wink  Instead of offering only one version, I'm offering three versions.

Update Notifier downloads are available here...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/miyoli … -Notifier/

ATTENTION: IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED A PREVIOUS VERSION OF THE MIYOLINUX UPDATE NOTIFIER, YOU WILL NEED TO REMOVE IT BEFORE INSTALLING ONE OF THE NEW VERSIONS.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE ARE 3 VERSIONS AVAILABLE

In keeping with the MiyoLinux philosophy of allowing the user to decide what goes on their system, I am providing 3 versions of the Update Notifier so that the user can choose the one that they prefer. smile  The available versions are...

miyolinux-update-notifier_2.1_all.deb
miyolinux-update-notifier_2.1.1_all.deb
miyolinux-update-notifier_2.1.2_all.deb

The differences are explained at the bottom of this file.

After installation, log out (or reboot) for the Update Notifier to begin working.

Some window manager users may need to manually add the following line to their autostart file...

/usr/share/update-notifier/update-notifier.py

On minimal systems, if desktop notifications are not appearing, you may choose to install one of the following...

notification-daemon (see note)
xfce4-notifyd
dunst

NOTE: if you install notification-daemon, you may need to add the following line to your autostart...

/usr/lib/notification-daemon/notification-daemon

After installation, you can view the README file in /usr/share/doc/miyolinux-update-notifier/ for more information.

THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE VERSIONS...

miyolinux-update-notifier_2.1_all.deb
miyolinux-update-notifier_2.1.1_all.deb
miyolinux-update-notifier_2.1.2_all.deb

Version 2.1 - When you click the icon in the system tray, it will open a window asking if you want to update your system now. There are three buttons to choose from...

"Show Updates" will show the available updates in a notification window.

"Yes" will close the window and open an Authentication window. After entering your password, the Synaptic Package Manager will open (See Synaptic's usage in Version 2.1.1).

"No" will close the window.

Version 2.1.1 - When you click the icon in the system tray, it will open an Authentication window. After entering your password, the Synaptic Package Manager will open and show the available updates. Click "Mark" to automatically perform the upgrade. Click "Cancel" to not install the updates and close Synaptic.

Version 2.1.2 - When you click the icon in the system tray, it will open an Authentication window. After entering your password, a modified xterm will open. It will show the available updates in the terminal, and the user can then choose whether to install the updates or not. Choosing Y (or just hit Enter on your keyboard) will automatically perform the upgrades, and xterm will automatically close when the upgrades are complete. Choosing n will not install the updates and close xterm.

NOTE: Version 2.1.2 is considered a testing version. While it has performed flawlessly for me on multiple computers (using both ASCII and Beowulf), there may be some systems in which xterm may not work correctly. If it doesn't work, remove this version, and try one of the other two which uses Synaptic. smile

The software is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and noninfringement. In no event shall the authors or copyright holders be liable for any claim, damages or other liability, whether in an action of contract, tort or otherwise, arising from, out of or in connection with the software or the use or other dealings in the software.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2019-09-21 10:31:51)

#60 2019-11-03 20:46:01

stanz

MiyoLinux wrote:

One last question (anyone's input is welcome)...for the "Would you like to update your system now?" window...
Would the words plus icons...or...just the words alone be preferable on the buttons?

Nice!! I'll take both..
And this is Easy to tweak..but I'm torn between:
Pop-quiz 'user', you have updates waiting on your input...whata ya do? hmm
and
So, ya don't wanna update now? "I'll be back!" yikes

on to finding matching icons! tongue

As always MiyoLinux...nice addition to your builds ~ for the users 'ease of use'!!
Allot of time and effort...I hope you remember to eat and visit family often. lol

asta

miyoisomix.i2p

Board footer