The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-27 17:16:20

golinux
Administrator

Eben Moglen's presentation at re-publica in May

"We are building the new neuro-anatomy of the human race. In the process we are destroying the human attention system, changing our idea of what it means to be human. The effect on our capacity for freedom and self-government is devastating, but not so bad for those who want to govern us. People are increasingly aware of the problem, but don't know what to do. In this talk, I explain how and why."

Why Freedom of Thought Requires Attention
https://19.re-publica.com/en/session/wh … -attention

Here at Devuan are trying to fix our small corner of this bigger problem.  Title of the conference was "tl;dr". Yes, this talk is longish but well worth the time . . . imo, of course.

#2 2019-07-28 01:30:10

dxrobertson

Re: Eben Moglen's presentation at re-publica in May

Very good, impressive, much to digest. 

I have wondered, as "smart" phone / smart everything / AI / data collection progresses; at some point what is the purpose of the biological person behind the phone?

To extrapolate on the subject discussed, there may be an underlying reason for why; evolution.  Biological life at some point may/will become unsustainable.  The data collected on every biological experience may have reason, along with AI; for the next evolved "life" to carry on.

There has to be a reason for all this.

#3 2019-07-28 11:06:32

PedroReina
Website

dxrobertson wrote:

at some point what is the purpose of the biological person behind the phone?

See ads, then buy goods. Sad.

#4 2019-07-31 08:22:04

jaromil
Website

Thanks for posting, I love Eben Moglen's works and had the honor to meet him once in person; he is a great motivator of the work we do at Dyne.org and has inspired me through life. In these complex times I believe it is a solid choice to follow his thoughts.

Not reading often here, if urgent contact me via E-Mail: J @ Dyne.org
GPG fingerprint: 6113 D89C A825 C5CE DD02  C872 73B3 5DA5 4ACB 7D10

#5 2019-07-31 20:46:32

Micronaut

Very interesting talk! Thanks for the pointer, I'd never heard of this conference, though I've heard of EFF and Moglen before.

Board footer