The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-14 05:10:25

MantaRei

MySQL

Hello,

I am new to the disto today. I had plans to start learning MySQL and am now curious if anyone has experienced any known troubles with it being used in systemd free Devuan environment.

Any input is appreciated

"~/Quotes/Inspirational/challengestatusquo.txt" - Me 2017

#2 2017-05-14 15:04:27

golinux
Administrator

Re: MySQL

Hi and welcome.  This forum is running on Devuan with postgresql just fine.  And I don't remember ever seeing a post on the dng mailing list about sql.  So I assume it works just fine with Devuan.

#3 2017-05-14 15:36:01

fsmithred
Administrator

I have one install that has mysql-server for one app that needs it for its database. It only gets used from localhost, and it works fine. I just upgraded it after many months, and it still works.

I just tried to install mysql-server on my main box, and it's failing with this error message:

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/mysql-server-5.5_5.5.55-0+deb8u1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1

Attempting to add the group manually:

groupadd -g 121 mysql
groupadd: failure while writing changes to /etc/group

This is strange. I got the same error a few days ago trying to install something, but that was in a chroot, and I needed to make the bind-mounts with sys, dev and proc. Right now, I'm not in a chroot. I'm installing directly on hardware in the running system. If someone else wants to try, you can let me know if the problem is just with my setup.

I don't think it's a file permission problem:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 904 Mar  8 18:38 /etc/group

#4 2017-05-14 16:59:57

treebeard

MantaRei - Have you considered using MariaDB instead as it is a more open fork of MySQL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MariaDB
https://mariadb.org/

From Wikipedia:
MariaDB is a community-developed fork of the MySQL relational database management system intended to remain free under the GNU GPL. Development is led by some of the original developers of MySQL, who forked it due to concerns over its acquisition by Oracle Corporation. Its lead developer is Michael "Monty" Widenius, one of the founders of MySQL

I have installed MariaDB on Devuan RC2 and am using it with no problems with a fairly complex database application.

I use MySQL Workbench as a GUI admin tool for MariaDB.

If you are interested in using it then in synaptic package manager install 'mariadb-server' followed by 'mysql-workbench'.
MySQL Workbench should then be accessible through applications/development/mysql workbench.

Launch it to administer the MariaDB database server.
You will get some warnings that to the best of my knowledge can be ignored that it is being used with a non-MySQL database.

#5 2017-05-14 19:56:27

fsmithred
Administrator

OK, my problem is all better now. I could not create users or groups. Went through the vaious software fixes proposed in similar posts, and none of them seemed to apply. Problem went away with a complete poweroff and blowing out dust. I can now create users and groups, and mysql-server installed without any trouble.

#6 2017-05-19 03:03:33

MantaRei

Hello

I unplugged for a short time.  but back to things now and see this is good  to know!

thanks golinux, treebeard, fsmithred.

"~/Quotes/Inspirational/challengestatusquo.txt" - Me 2017

Board footer