The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-30 19:03:00

PedroReina
Website

Gmail rejects messages from own server

I'm running pedroreina.net from my own server at home, as I pay to my ISP to not change my IP. Since 2001. Always with Debian, currently Debian Wheezy 32 bits with very humble hardware. Web, mail and DNS servers. The outgoing mail server is Exim 4.80.

Since a week or so, Gmail rejects some of my messages. This is the last error Exim gave to me from Gmail:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
  xxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
    SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
    host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [74.125.71.26]:
    550-5.7.1 This message does not have authentication information or fails to pass
    550-5.7.1 authentication checks. To best protect our users from spam, the
    550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit
    550-5.7.1  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more
    550 5.7.1 information. n124si1824333wma.47 - gsmtp

I read the link and I think that the most important problem is that I cannot resolve rDNS, as the IP is owned by my ISP.

Do you know some workaround? Thank you.

(I can update the box to Devuan current, if this will help to solve the problem, but it is really a lot of work because of the amount of custom code I'm running).

Last edited by PedroReina (2019-03-30 19:21:43)

#2 2019-03-30 19:55:33

golinux
Administrator

Re: Gmail rejects messages from own server

gmail can be a problem.  Last fall we had a flurry of complaints about email messages bouncing.  You have a different issue but this reply by Rick Moen might give you some ideas where to start dealing with your isp. Please forgive me if I'm totally off-base.

#3 2019-03-30 21:37:12

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

I think that the most important problem is that I cannot resolve rDNS, as the IP is owned by my ISP

Maybe you've tried it already, but otherwise you should query your ISP about how to set up your reverse DNS. It should really be possible for you, especially as you are paying for having a static IP, but then again, every ISP is a company of its own.

#4 2019-03-31 08:55:59

PedroReina
Website

golinux wrote:

Please forgive me if I'm totally off-base.

I welcome any idea. Thanks, golinux. I will need to learn to use DMARC sooner o later. I would like to do it, but I need free time because I'm not a pro mail admin.

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

Maybe you've tried it already, but otherwise you should query your ISP about how to set up your reverse DNS. It should really be possible for you

I've not tried it yet, mainly because I dont trust the technical knowledge of the first person at the other side of the line, and I know that in my country is very hard to get in touch with a qualified technician. But I will do it, at first in the forum that my ISP provides to their users. Thanks for your piece of advice, ralph.ronnquist.

Board footer