The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-06 16:14:47

Spaceman Spiff

Question about versions

Hello, I have a few questions about devuan not being familiar with debian systems, but I have been using Linux for several years.

Now as I understand it and you guys can correct me if I'm wrong, Jessie being LTS has a five year lifespan, and currently has three? left. Ascii has a two year lifespan.

If a version goes end of life can I just use a command to upgrade to another? and if so will this give me a clean install or just replace the root directory if it's set up.

Lastly, I need this for a desktop, and in my diddling found refracta, which is made for desktops. Would you guys recommend this or just simply a Devuan install?

Thanks,

Spiff.

#2 2019-03-07 01:33:45

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Question about versions

When a new stable release is ready, you can change your sources to that release and upgrade. That will replace older versions of software with newer version, and it will probably also remove some obsolete packages and introduce a few new ones. If there are system config files that you've edited, the package manager will usually ask if you want it replaced with the newer config file or not, and it will give you an option to compare the two. It will not mess with any files in your user's home directory.

You don't have to wait for the current release to reach end of life, but you can if you want. The repositories will still be around and will still get security updates.

Here's the LTS schedule. Jessie dies next year and ascii (same as debian stretch) will go on until 2022.
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS

Refracta uses the xfce4 desktop. The desktop is installed without metapackages, which means you can easily remove any parts of it without the whole desktop getting removed due to the dependency chain. If instead, you install xfce from the devuan installer isos or from the devuan desktop-live, you get a more complete destkop, but if you try to remove any parts of it, all of it and your desktop applications may get removed.

If you prefer some other desktop environment or a window manager, you should use one of the installer isos.

#3 2019-03-20 15:09:40

Spaceman Spiff

Sorry for the late reply. I was indisposed, and then installed it on a test machine and started messing with it. It is very well put together by the way.

Thanks for the answers. I looked at the metapackages you mentioned, and understand the pros and cons of them. I like Devuan and will go with it, barring the  very unlikely event that there is a program that I absolutely need, but is linked to kde or some other desktop.

#4 2019-03-20 15:59:47

golinux
Administrator

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I like Devuan and will go with it, barring the  very unlikely event that there is a program that I absolutely need, but is linked to kde or some other desktop.

Huh?  Sure, you can install KDE apps on Devuan provided they are not tied to systemd or apps from any other desktop for that matter.   I no longer install KDE apps because it pulls in too much of KDE and bloats my system but I do run several apps from Mate.

Board footer