The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-15 00:24:03

cynicfm

connecting with wireless internet using dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant

hey

i had break with devuan cuz i been on artix for a while. as much as i liked the distro i had issues with internet.
however i managed to connect to wireless via terminall without using any networkmanagers and stuff

while atm i have connman ui setup for connecting wi-fi i really liked the dhcpcd thing
but the trouble is on arch linux i was able to create a hook between wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd.
i already created a folder in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf with wifi credentials
now i tried to create a hook but there is some folder missing

is it possible to use dhcpcd for wireless internet so i can delete network managers and stuff, of course i mean here on devuan.
i searched for it on searx.me and duckduckgo.com but i had no luck with finding any solution, results were mostly arch related especially arch wiki
there was debian wiki too but nothing really specific how to create a folder for a hook

please help. id like to connect to wireless network via terminal not any gui manager smile

thank you!

#2 2019-01-15 00:39:18

golinux
Administrator

Re: connecting with wireless internet using dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant

Try KatolaZ' setnet.  Looks like it's in ascii and experimental repos

#3 2019-01-15 03:59:55

GNUser

Re: connecting with wireless internet using dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant

Hello, cynicfm. I don't use any network manager. 

To connect to a wireless network that does not require a WiFi password (e.g., my workplace) I use this command:

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up && sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid WorkSSIDGoesHere && sudo dhclient

To connect to a wireless network that has a WiFi password (e.g., my home) I use this command:

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up && sudo wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D nl80211 && sudo dhclient

Where /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf contains this:

network={
    ssid="HomeSSIDGoesHere"
    psk="myPasswoRd"
}

I imagine that if NetworkManager or connman is running, it will interfere with the above. Hope that helps.

Last edited by GNUser (2019-01-15 04:03:08)

Board footer