The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-04 21:01:27

TheBlueWizard

Clock icon no longer showing time when changing clock options

Hi all,

Note: I sent an email to submit@bugs.devuan.org two days ago and I heard nothing, so I decide to post this here as well.

I am running Ascii 2.0.0 stable version with default installation of Xfce4.

I right-clicked on the clock icon in upper right corner of the screen, then I selected Properties. In the Properties dialog I picked the "hh:mm:ss" format in "Clock options: Format". I then closed the dialog. The clock icon no longer shows the time at all, and I could not get it to show the time again with various picks including the original format. Also, every time thereafter, when I open the properties dialog, it now shows "custom format" in the Clock options area. I also discovered that this now "permanent" non-displaying of time persists through the rebooting.

I don't know how to fix it, as I am not familiar with the inner working of Xfce4 (I don't even know what package runs the clock icon). Thanks for any help!

#2 2018-08-04 21:21:23

dxrobertson

Re: Clock icon no longer showing time when changing clock options

Maybe try removing the panel clock:
right-click on clock, Remove.

Then add it back:
right-click somewhere on panel, select Panel, select Add New Items.
Select Clock, press Add, press Close

Clock will be all the way to right, to move it:
right-click on the clock, select move, and drag it to where you want it.

I am not sure why you had your original problem.

#3 2018-08-05 05:40:36

TheBlueWizard

I followed your instructions; removing and adding the panel clock. This time the clock is now showing time. For now I will not play with its properties, at least until someone experience the same problem or knows the solution. Thanks!

#4 2018-08-05 20:49:36

ivanovnegro

I am sure everything you need for the clock applet is here:

https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/clock

#5 2018-08-09 03:23:07

TheBlueWizard

I just discovered that the "fix" disappears after the reboot. In other words, the panel clock no longer shows the time. This is getting annoying. Also, in reply to ivanovnegro, the doesn't quite match the one shown in the webpage. For example mine has a timezone field (which is blank), and the webpage doesn't  give much information.

Anyway, I would like to have that fixed for good. Anyone else experiencing problems with the panel clock? I'd be very surprised if I'm the only one, as my Devuan installation is pretty much the default installation straight from a DVD.

#6 2018-08-09 04:30:18

MiyoLinux

Hi! Not sure if this will help your situation or if it's a satisfactory "solution".

First, I'm not on Xfce, so I'm doing this from memory from when I did use it. tongue

Second, I haven't looked at the link supplied by ivanovnegro...so if what I'm about to recommend was already covered, please forgive me.

I'm going to assume that you're using the clock that comes with the panel out of the box? When I used Xfce, I always replaced that clock with the xfce4-datetime-plugin. I just liked it more, and it had a couple of more configuration options that I liked. It can show both the date and time in the panel, just the time, or just the date. Seems like you could change the font and font size too.

If you haven't already tried it, you might consider installing it and adding it to your panel. If it survives reboots, then remove the other clock.

apt install xfce4-datetime-plugin

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#7 2018-08-09 05:27:10

golinux
Administrator

And I went for orage. Total overkill for a panel clock but the only one I could find one that had an option to change font color -  I needed a white font on a dark panel.

#8 2018-08-13 01:26:21

TheBlueWizard

An update: I just noticed an entry called Panel; it is found in "Application Menu > Settings" menu. Out of curiosity, I launched it, and a window appeared with various stuff, and I saw three tabs. I clicked on "Items" tab, and I saw a list of various stuff, including "Clock". I experimentally clicked the "Edit the currently selected item" button (I already selected the "Clock" entry in the list by then). I then saw the same Properties I had dealt with some days ago. I picked a time format and closed it. This time the panel clock now showed the time in desired format. The settings even persists through the rebooting.

Now, I'm happy that it is now solved on a certain level, but it is clear to me that a certain logic got broken somewhere in the interactions. I hope that in itself would be enough clues for a knowledgeable developer to figure out what went wrong with the first approach described in my original posting and fix it. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions and advices!

#9 2018-12-07 10:22:52

NiceThings

Hi everyone!

My first post here. I would like to add that I too have a problem with the clock exactly like The BlueWizard has reported. I installed Ascii 64bit 2.0 stable with xfce onto a ThinkPad T61 via a DVD. 

In the end I just deleted and created a new clock item for the panel.

I'm just mentioning it here to say the problem is not isolated.

Elsewise gotta say my first experience with Devuan the software and Devuan this forum has been great!

Have a great weekend all smile

Board footer