The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-13 20:19:16

Daniel_Patón

First impressions in Devuan

Greetings:

I don't know if I'm a distro-hopper. I don't think so. I've been using Debian for 20 years and with sporadic incursions into other operating systems like FreeBSD. For some time now I have noticed Debian becoming more and more unstable and heavy. I'm a teacher and I manage a small classroom of 14 computers. They are modest machines. With Debian some computers didn't go as I wanted. I decided to try Slackware and I liked it very much. I put it in my laptop and I was happy, but every time I updated the 14 computers it took longer than normal. Sometimes I had to compile by hand and I got bored. A few months ago I tried Devuan out of curiosity and found it very fast and really stable, much more than Debian and I don't see big differences with Slackware. As I am familiar with Debian, Devuan is comfortable for me, but with better performance and stability. Therefore, I don't understand how is possible to spoil a good operating system like Debian by putting it systemd. I had some problems in ACPI with systemd. Frankly, now I understand the developers who got out from Debian project. I don't know what system I will install in a few years, but at the moment I'm really happy with Devuan. I have convinced my daughters to migrate from Lubuntu to Debian with MATE. I don't like LXQT, I'm sorry.

Finally thanks to all the hard-working developers working on this project. This teacher and his students are very comfortable in Devuan. Congratulations on the excellent results.

Greetings,

Daniel Patón Domínguez
Numerical Ecology. Ecology Unit
Department of Plant Biology, Ecology and Earth Sciences
Faculty of Sciences. University of Extremadura
Avda. Elvas s/n 06071 Badajoz (Spain)
http://unex.academia.edu/DanielPatonDominguez
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Daniel_Paton/
http://sites.google.com/site/numericalecologyuex/home
https://es.linkedin.com/in/daniel-patón … -787546106

#2 2018-11-13 22:31:59

dxrobertson

Re: First impressions in Devuan

Daniel_Patón wrote:

I don't understand how is possible to spoil a good operating system like Debian by putting it systemd.

Exactly, well said!

I also had been a Slackware user (Salix) and was very much satisfied with the distro, but when it comes to application support across the complete spectrum of whats available; Debian supplies it with a simple apt-get install.  And thus why Devuan is the ultimate distro; everything Debian has to offer, without...

#3 2018-11-14 00:30:39

arnaiz
Website

First of all, welcome to Devuan community and Im also from Spain so feel free to contact with me if you need something by me.

Im a grateful new Devuan user and I feel exactly the same that you describe. Im using Debian from Sarge days and I liked a lot, but last releases are becoming more unstable and bloated. I am using Devuan since a month and for now my experience its like comeback to the great Debian old days:flexibility, easy of use, stability and a helping comunity.

Finally I must say that today its not possible for me but in the future I would like and I expect cooperate with the Devuan project in some way.

#4 2018-11-14 04:21:12

zephyr
Website

Daniel_Paton wrote:
Therefore, I don't understand how is possible to spoil a good operating system like Debian by putting it systemd.

Ditto, that is the question we all ask coming to Devuan, many of us former Debian users and developers!

Welcome to the forum, all very pleased to help you along with the Devuan experience! smile

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#5 2018-11-23 20:43:48

cynicfm

yeah i know why they killed ian murdock because he didnt want debian have systemd

now when hes dead they can put anything they want to debian

#6 2018-11-23 22:21:37

golinux
Administrator

cynicfm wrote:

yeah i know why they killed ian murdock because he didnt want debian have systemd

now when hes dead they can put anything they want to debian

That is some fantasy you've conjured up!!  FYI, Bruce Perens took over leadership of the Debian Project in 1996 and Ian moved on to other things.

From wikipedia :

In January 2006, Murdock was appointed Chief Technology Officer of the Free Standards Group and elected chair of the Linux Standard Base workgroup.[5] He continued as CTO of the Linux Foundation when the group was formed from the merger of the Free Standards Group and Open Source Development Labs.

Murdock left the Linux Foundation to join Sun Microsystems in March 2007[6] to lead Project Indiana, which he described as "taking the lesson that Linux has brought to the operating system and providing that for Solaris", making a full OpenSolaris distribution with GNOME and userland tools from GNU plus a network-based package management system.[7] From March 2007 to February 2010, he was Vice President of Emerging Platforms at Sun,[8] until the company merged with Oracle and he resigned his position with the company.[9]

From 2011 until 2015 Murdock was Vice President of Platform and Developer Community at Salesforce Marketing Cloud, based in Indianapolis.[9][10]

From November 2015 until his death Murdock was working for Docker, Inc.[9]

#7 2018-11-24 14:12:38

Webtyro

That is some fantasy you've conjured up!!

Is it? His death and the circumstances around it are very suspect.
There are some very dark and deep rabbit holes out there. Been down too many to completely disagree with cynicfm.
Be willing to entertain a certain thought and some research in this day and age may surprise you.
This may not be the place for this conversation , but his death was not "normal".
Have to admit his vote on systemd would probably been the main deciding factor.
Seen too much evil in this world to completely dismiss his claim. It has some truth in it.
His last few tweets were very strange. Also have to consider if he made them or who had his phone?
I do not believe everything I am told unless I can prove it to myself. Murdock and his death just left me with an uneasy feeling
and no way to prove any theory.
Conclusion= I do not know the truth about his death.

Default Deny

#8 2018-11-24 18:00:10

golinux
Administrator

Webtyro wrote:

That is some fantasy you've conjured up!!

Is it? His death and the circumstances around it are very suspect.
There are some very dark and deep rabbit holes out there. Been down too many to completely disagree with cynicfm.
Be willing to entertain a certain thought and some research in this day and age may surprise you.
This may not be the place for this conversation , but his death was not "normal".
Have to admit his vote on systemd would probably been the main deciding factor.
Seen too much evil in this world to completely dismiss his claim. It has some truth in it.
His last few tweets were very strange. Also have to consider if he made them or who had his phone?
I do not believe everything I am told unless I can prove it to myself. Murdock and his death just left me with an uneasy feeling
and no way to prove any theory.
Conclusion= I do not know the truth about his death.

I agree with pretty much all of that.  Even took a screen shot of his final tweets.  I do know that Bruce Perens, the second leader of Debian who knew Ian very well, debunked some of the conspiracy stuff on DNG a while back.  I'll try to find some of those posts.  In any case, this is probably not the right place to continue this discussion.

*edit* https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/2 … c9.en.html

#9 2018-11-24 20:02:19

Webtyro

Thanks for the link.
Lost the mother of some of my children to a suicide. Hard to understand at times.
Life is very fragile.

Default Deny

#10 2018-11-25 02:26:30

ChuangTzu

Unfortunately, only Ian knows what happened and why.  Even Bruce's comment on the dyne thread is speculation based on his relationship/history with Ian, however, only Ian knows. 

A sad thing about suicide is how terribly it affects those the person left behind. 

[/back on topic]

Welcome to Devuan Daniel Patón

Last edited by ChuangTzu (2018-11-25 02:26:52)

#11 2018-11-26 15:15:44

Ogis1975
Website

ChuangTzu wrote:

Unfortunately, only Ian knows what happened and why.

If you had a chance to peek at the NSA archives, I'm sure you'll find a lot of interesting things.

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#12 2018-11-26 16:50:24

golinux
Administrator

Well . . . a "tyro" might not know much of the backstory.  wink   Any objections to splitting off the Murdock stuff to a separate thread?  Not sure exactly where to put it though.   Suggestions?  Or maybe those posts should be nuked? Thoughts?

#13 2018-11-26 16:55:50

sgage

golinux wrote:

Well . . . a "tyro" might not know much of the backstory.  wink   Any objections to splitting off the Murdock stuff to a separate thread?  Not sure exactly where to put it though.   Suggestions?  Or maybe those posts should be nuked? Thoughts?

Maybe put the Murdock sub-thread in Off Topic?

Board footer