The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#326 2018-10-12 08:20:08

MiyoLinux

Re: [MiyoLinux] New Releases Uploaded

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#327 2018-11-08 14:47:21

kekePower

HI all good folks.

Thank you so much MiyoLinux for this fast and awesome spin.

2 things I want to comment on.

1. Cryptsetup/installer isn't working 100%
2. Install doesn't rename user "miyo" to my username

1) I chose to encrypt my home disk. This works fine, but the setup doesn't complete. By this I mean it doesn't add the proper entry in /etc/fstab.
I had to add /dev/mapper/home_fs to /etc/fstab

2) I think this may be because I chose to encrypt /home, but the installation doesn't rename the "miyo" user to my username. On first or second reboot, I had to log in as root and rename the directory and everything went smoothly after that.

The boot time is awesome and enables me to get to work in mere seconds and with a little more tweaks I also hope to get better battery our this old-timer called Dell Latitude E6510.

Since I'm only running a Writer app (writeapp.co), I've disable all but one core and also disabled HT. Bought a new SSD and have turned down the brightness quite a lot. Still getting about 3+ hours of battery and am considering getting a bigger battery at a later time.

Again, thank you for all your great work.

Cheers,
kekePower

#328 2018-11-08 17:27:04

fsmithred
Administrator

kekePower: I'd like to see the installer log. (It should be in your home or else in /var/log). Paste it somewhere or email it to me. Encrypting the root, home and changing username should all work. If no, I need to know why, so I can fix it. Thanks.

#329 2018-11-08 17:59:14

kekePower

fsmithred wrote:

kekePower: I'd like to see the installer log. (It should be in your home or else in /var/log). Paste it somewhere or email it to me. Encrypting the root, home and changing username should all work. If no, I need to know why, so I can fix it. Thanks.

This is the installer_error.log

http://paste.debian.net/1050963/

I installed cryptsetup and loaded dm_mod before starting the installer.

Last edited by kekePower (2018-11-08 17:59:58)

#330 2018-11-08 18:10:53

kekePower

fsmithred wrote:

Hi again.

Also got an idea.

when the script installs the files, it uses rsync -av. If you use rsync -Hav it will, correctly, copy symlinks as well if there are any.

Cheers,
kekePower

#331 2018-11-09 08:26:48

MiyoLinux

Hi kekePower!

First...welcome to the forum! smile

Secondly...I'm sorry for the encryption situation. To be honest, I've never tried encrypting during installation. sad

Thirdly...thank you for the kind words and good report otherwise! smile

Since I'm being honest...even though I am a bit shady at times tongue  ... I can build a distro, but I rely on the expertise of others for being able to install what I make. As you noticed, fsmithred responded to your situation. He is a true wizard in all that he does. In fact, he is the person behind the installer that I use for Miyo. I just leech off of him. tongue

Thank you for reporting the issue. Hopefully, my editing of refractainstaller configuration files didn't lend to the problem...

To fsmithred: I use an older version of the installer if that helps...base=9.3.3  >>>  GUI=9.2.3

Perhaps it's time for me to move to newer versions?

kekePower,

Thank you again! I'm very happy to know that you're happy with the system. I do put a lot of time and effort into trying to create something that will be pleasing to others. Sometimes I succeed, and sometimes I don't! tongue  Most importantly, I am so very glad that you were able to fix your situation.

I find it very interesting that you're from Norway. That is one of the places that I would most love to visit one day. smile

Take care!

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#332 2018-11-09 17:01:55

fsmithred
Administrator

@kekePower: The log ended after the first rsync command, so I can't tell what happened after that. I've seen that happen before, but I don't know the cause. I'll have to try an encrypted install to see if that's what does it.

-H preserves hard links. I don't know if I have any of those. Symlinks are already handled properly (e.g. /vmlinuz and /initrd.img work right.) I've also considered adding -X and -A for xattr and acl. I might make the rsync command more configurable than it already is.

@miyo: Yes, newer versions of the installer are better. Look for 9.4.3 soon, and then 9.5.0 for beowulf and beyond.

fsmithred (not a wizard. I just kick it around until it does what I want.)

#333 2018-11-09 17:26:21

kekePower

fsmithred wrote:

fsmithred (not a wizard. I just kick it around until it does what I want.)

Don't we all big_smile Hehe...

#334 2018-11-10 12:53:42

fsmithred
Administrator

Found it - in the changelog for refractainstaller-gui 9.4.0:

Fixed bug: encrypted /home gets incorrect fstab entry

#335 2018-11-21 07:46:14

MiyoLinux

For any Miyo Modern users...

I recently discovered that Deepin now has Deepin Dark icons. They work much better if you're using the Deepin Dark theme (or another dark theme). See how to get (and install) them in the video below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw5mkvHS9PM&t=36s

Board footer