The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-27 17:11:04

lvdave

snapd on Devuan Ascii?

Subject says it all... I'm running Devuan Ascii and understand it is a fork of Debian Stretch. I need to run snaps on this system, and I find that the Debian Stretch repo contains the snapd package to allow running of snap packages. Trying an "apt install snapd", as shown for a Debian Stretch install, does NOT
work on Devuan Ascii, getting an "E: Unable to locate package snapd"... What gives?

Thanks
Dave

#2 2018-10-27 17:15:22

golinux
Administrator

Re: snapd on Devuan Ascii?

snapd is a banned package in Devuan because of systemd dependencies:
https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/bannedpackages.txt

#3 2018-10-28 01:17:36

lvdave

Thats just lovely NOT!!... Am evaluating Devuan to move to when my current Ubuntu 14.04 becomes EOL next April and having the ability to run snaps is
a dealbreaker. Thanks for the info...

#4 2018-10-28 01:19:52

sgage

Just curious - why do you need to run snaps?

#5 2018-10-28 02:06:23

golinux
Administrator

sgage wrote:

I was thinking the same exact thing.

@lvdave . . . If you want that feature, use a systemd-based OS.   It's that simple.

#6 2018-10-28 02:21:02

GNUser

Flatpak and AppImages work fine in Devuan ASCII and Devuan Jessie. There's also the (distro-agnostic) nix package manager, which can be used concurrently with native package manager.

Last edited by GNUser (2018-10-28 02:22:01)

#7 2018-10-28 02:44:32

golinux
Administrator

GNUser wrote:

Flatpak and AppImages work fine in Devuan ASCII and Devuan Jessie . . .

Unfortunately.  I find the concept behind these all-in-one dropins distasteful to say the least.  It just doesn't feel right in Linux . . . </rant>

#8 2018-10-28 02:54:09

sgage

golinux wrote:
GNUser wrote:

Flatpak and AppImages work fine in Devuan ASCII and Devuan Jessie . . .

Unfortunately.  I find the concept behind these all-in-one dropins distasteful to say the least.  It just doesn't feel right in Linux . . . </rant>

I agree completely. There seems to be some sort of Windows/Apple envy among certain factions of the Linux world that wants stuff like this. And systemd, for that matter. Solving problems that don't really exist...

#9 2018-10-28 17:21:39

lvdave

sgage wrote:

Several apps I need are more easily installed/used as a snap.

#10 2018-10-28 17:37:42

lvdave

golinux wrote:
sgage wrote:

I was thinking the same exact thing.

@lvdave . . . If you want that feature, use a systemd-based OS.   It's that simple.

No, it is NOT "that simple".. The two systems I'm evaluating Devuan to replace the current Ubuntu 14.04, when it goes EOL in April '19 have
been tested with Debian Stretch, Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04, which all use the abortion (IMO) that is systemd. Under ALL of these OS, shutdown takes over a
minute from telling the OS to shutdown to the system powering off. Checking why this is, I find there are several "stop jobs" running that are preventing the
laptop (a Dell Latitude i5 with 8gb of ram) from shutting down in a timely manner. Whereas, with the same system running either Ubuntu 14.04 OR Devuan Ascii, the laptop shuts down in less than 10 seconds. Since I do not use hibernation, I often shutdown this laptop many times/day. The desktop in question does not have this problem as its rarely ever shutdown, only rebooted when needed. I've used/supported Linux (and Windows) for 20 years as a sysadmin (now retired) and let me put it succinctly.. I DO NOT CARE FOR SYSTEMD.. period.. Which is why I'm evaluating Devuan, like the folks who started the Devuan project, I don't care to use systemd... You may like it, but I DON'T.... Since I really like Devuan (am currently running it on the laptop I'm typing this on), I'll look for an alternative way to run the programs I need withOUT snapd, such as flatpak or appimages..

Last edited by lvdave (2018-10-28 17:38:31)

#11 2018-10-28 20:25:17

ChuangTzu

Ivdave, very simple indeed.  snapd will not function without systemd, so if you are tied to the hip of snapd then systemd is your new obnoxious neighbor (red headed step child etc...). 

As you stated, its an easier method for you, there are other methods.  What is the program anyway?

#12 2018-10-28 21:12:02

golinux
Administrator

lvdave wrote:
sgage wrote:

Several apps I need are more easily installed/used as a snap.

Take a deep breath lvdave . . .  ( a moment of silent contemplation)

The operative phrase being "more easily installed/used".    These all-in-one apps are the fast food of software.  You can either go for a quick burger or learn how to cook and really nourish yourself.   That's a choice we all have to make.  But don't start whining if you don't find a burger on the menu at a 5 star restaurant.  And try to understand that the chefs might find it more than a tad insulting.   This community has an identity and a way of doing and liking things.  You might want to get to know us a bit better before you get all histrionic about not being able to order your favorite burger here.

#13 2018-10-28 22:39:47

lvdave

ChuangTzu wrote:

As you stated, its an easier method for you, there are other methods.  What is the program anyway?

For starters, Spotify.. However, once I read here that snap on devuan was a no-go, I found that using the Clementine music program fixed that need.. Since my
usage of Devuan is a desktop/laptop replacement for Windows, that for now, that resolves my snapd "requirement"... As long as there are alternatives to distros that are infested with systemd, such as Devuan (and others), I'll be a happy camper..

Thanks
Dave

#14 2018-10-28 22:56:31

golinux
Administrator

lvdave wrote:

. . . once I read here that snap on devuan was a no-go, I found that using the Clementine music program fixed that need . . .

Happy to hear that.  All's well  that ends well.  big_smile  With FLOSS there are as many ways to solve a problem as there are users.

Board footer