The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-23 17:49:13

bobemoe

What tool for software updates + notifications?

I maintain Linux installs for a lot of friends/family/clients, and since I can always best support the OS that I'm most familiar with I'm slowly migrating them all over to Devuan.  Most are coming from xubuntu, so its pretty straight forward and from their point of view not much has changed.

The biggest problem is keeping them up to date. The ubuntu style software updater I don't think exists for Debian/Devuan and although Synaptic Package Manager does a good job, but most of my users find it too confusing. Also I don't think it has a notification for pending updates?

Being a CLI kind of guy, this isn't something I've really looked into, so I'm reaching out for anyone who may have suggestions?

I've considered setting up unattended-updates for them so it's all handled in the background, but it would be nice for them to get to say when to do it, so it doesn't use resources when they wanting to do something.

So, any ideas? What do you use?

Last edited by bobemoe (2018-09-23 17:51:14)

#2 2018-09-23 19:57:23

MiyoLinux

Re: What tool for software updates + notifications?

I use the PointLinux Update Notifier. It's just a python script, so no extra dependencies.

It shows a notification in the system tray and pops up a notification on the desktop when updates are available. I use it just to be notified of available updates, then I update through the terminal. However, if you click the icon that appears in the system tray, it will ask for your password, then open Synaptic and show the available updates. Click to mark them to be installed, and Synaptic takes care of it.

You do have to edit the script to change the icon that's used in the notifications. I also change the number of minutes that elapse between update checks, but that's voluntary on my part.

If you're interested, I'll zip the .deb package, the icon that I use, and the easy instructions...you can use any icon you want though.

There is something similar in the repos, but I haven't tried it. I was going to, but it was going to install a bunch of other stuff. Can't remember the name of it. I'll check in a little bit and edit this post with the name of the package.

Edit: That package is called pk-update-icon.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-09-23 20:17:45)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#3 2018-09-24 00:19:03

dxrobertson

MiyoLinux wrote:

I use the PointLinux Update Notifier.

I am also interested in this type of indicator.  Is the PointLinux you mention from the PointLinux distro:http://pointlinux.org?  I searched around their website for access to packages and couldnt find it.  Trying to find a way to download the package instead of you having to email it individually.

#4 2018-09-24 01:11:03

golinux
Administrator

He could post it somewhere for everyone to dl like transfer.sh.

#5 2018-09-24 01:11:59

MiyoLinux

dxrobertson wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

I use the PointLinux Update Notifier.

I am also interested in this type of indicator.  Is the PointLinux you mention from the PointLinux distro:http://pointlinux.org?  I searched around their website for access to packages and couldnt find it.  Trying to find a way to download the package instead of you having to email it individually.

Yes, that's the one.

I went ahead and zipped it earlier just in case anyone wanted it. Get it here...

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code … CcgzFUE8Iy

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#6 2018-09-24 05:54:14

MiyoLinux

...and just in case anyone doesn't feel comfortable downloading a file from me...'cause I am kinda shifty n'stuff... tongue ...you can download it from the pointlinux repo pool here...

http://packages.pointlinux.org/pointlin … -notifier/

It's the bottom one in the list.

Remember though, you'll need to change the icon that's used, because it comes set to use a pointlinux icon...which won't be on your system. Access the file as root in...

/usr/share/pointlinux/update-notifier/pointlinux-update-notifier.py

Look for this line (it's line 35 if you enable line numbers in your text editor)...

icon = "/usr/share/icons/PointLinux-Faenza/apps/48/update-notifier.png",

Change the file path to the icon that you want to use. For example, I use an icon that I picked up somewhere, have it named as updates.svg, and I put that icon in /usr/share/images. So I would change that line to...

icon = "/usr/share/images/updates.svg",

Out of the box, the updater checks for updates every 15 minutes. It's the line after the icon= line, and looks like this...

interval = 900, # 15 minutes

Changing this is optional. and just in case anyone needs help...

60 seconds x 15 minutes = 900 (that's where the 900 comes from)

I set mine to check every four hours; which is...

60 x 60 x 4 = 14400

...or...

60 seconds x 60 minutes x 4 hours = 14400

So, I would change that line to be...

interval = 14400, # 15 minutes

No, I don't change the part after the comma, because it's commented out anyway...you can if you wish though. Make sure though...don't put a comma in the 14400 (or whatever number you come up with). In other words, don't write it as 14,400...just write it as 14400. And make sure to leave the comma AFTER the number! smile

#7 2018-09-24 06:14:40

MiyoLinux

Forgot to mention...

The updater won't go into effect until you reboot your computer after installing it. During the installation, it gets added to /etc/xdg/autostart, so it will be active at every startup.

#8 2018-09-24 10:14:57

dxrobertson

MiyoLinux wrote:

...and just in case anyone doesn't feel comfortable downloading a file from me...'cause I am kinda shifty n'stuff... tongue ...you can download it from the pointlinux repo pool here...

You are funny!

Much appreciate the link and instructions.

#9 2018-09-24 12:04:49

MiyoLinux

dxrobertson wrote:

You are funny!

Uhmmm...funny? Excuse me, but I was being completely serious.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

tongue

My pleasure to help if I can. smile

#10 2018-09-24 12:17:24

bobemoe

Wow that package is really awesome!  When it launches synaptic it uses --non-interactive which will take away all of the confusion and make installing the updates really easy even for the most novice users! smile I think I may start using it myself too.

Many thanks MiyoLinux smile

#11 2018-09-24 14:26:42

Panopticon

Since i am using a no dbus version of refracta i cant install gksu or synaptic.

So my workaround is this as i use startx and have no desktop environment/login manager.

(not sure if this a good idea, probably not but i have to as im not using gksu/pkexec/dbus etc)
Edit sudoers as per below.

[your username] ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/apt, /usr/bin/apt-get

edit .bashrc and add at the end of file...

sudo apt-get -u upgrade --assume-no

So what this does is that everytime you open your terminal it will check upgrades but not install them. That is if you are terminal user and i like to have the terminal autostart when i arrive at the desktop so this is a perfect solution for me.

Last edited by Panopticon (2018-09-24 14:28:41)

#12 2018-09-24 16:19:20

bobemoe

So as MiyoLinux said the icon he used was added manually, so I thought I'd see if any suitable ones already existed, I found:

/usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/apps/update-manager.png
/usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/apps/system-software-update.png
/usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/status/software-update-urgent.png
/usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/status/software-update-available.png

All available in the gnome-icon-theme package, which was already installed.

I've added the following lines to my post install script to download and configure this manually:

# update manager 
wget http://packages.pointlinux.org/pointlinux/pointlinux/pool/main/p/pointlinux-update-notifier/pointlinux-update-notifier_1.3.2~pointlinux%2bagni1.tar.gz
dpkg -i pointlinux-update-notifier_1.3.2~pointlinux+agni1_all.deb
rm pointlinux-update-notifier_1.3.2~pointlinux+agni1_all.deb
sed -ie 's#/usr/share/icons/PointLinux-Faenza/apps/48/update-notifier.png#/usr/share/icons/gnome/48x48/status/software-update-available.png#' /usr/share/pointlinux/update-notifier/pointlinux-update-notifier.py

Wondering if/how we could get this added to the Devuan repos so I can apt install it rather than wget of a path that may change?

#13 2018-09-24 16:33:27

golinux
Administrator

bobemoe wrote:

Wondering if/how we could get this added to the Devuan repos so I can apt install it rather than wget of a path that may change?

Maybe you'd consider forking it into git.devuan.org and building a package compatible with devuan/debian.  Then it could go into devuan-proposed and eventually to the main repo.

#14 2018-09-24 21:45:01

bobemoe

Yeah I could look into that, not done that before but its such a simple script that it would be a good one to start with smile

Not sure where I'd fork it from? Cant find PointLinux repos, and the link in the source.py links back to a yum version, looks like its already been modified lots! Might it just be worth creating a new repo?

I'll dig out the Devuan packaging guide smile

#15 2018-09-24 22:14:51

golinux
Administrator

It would be a learning curve but well worth it imo.  Forks should include source code and history from day 1.  Sometimes that is not so easy to find.  IRC might be the best place to get help on how to do that.

#16 2018-09-24 23:41:37

MiyoLinux

The tar.gz (from the same link above) contains files that might be useful.

I think the general consensus is that PointLinux is no longer being developed. Could be wrong about that, but it sadly does appear that way.

#17 2019-04-24 01:18:22

Ron

MiyoLinux wrote:
I also change the number of minutes that elapse between update checks, but that's voluntary on my part.

Can it be configured to only check about 1 minute after boot up? (Each boot up, that is.)

#18 2019-04-24 06:51:39

MiyoLinux

Ron wrote:

MiyoLinux wrote:
I also change the number of minutes that elapse between update checks, but that's voluntary on my part.

Can it be configured to only check about 1 minute after boot up? (Each boot up, that is.)

Hi Ron. To be honest, I don't know. I would imagine that it could, but I don't know how. I'm sorry.

In fact, I'm no longer using that notifier...I'm using a version of it that I modified. See this thread starting at this link...

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=14058#p14058

...but that still doesn't answer your question.

Board footer