The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-18 21:39:54

easy

No wpa_supplicant or iw?

Hi, everyone. Pardon me in advance if this is a silly question, as I'm not particularly familiar with Devuan, nor Debian, for that matter, but I can't really manage to connect to my WPA2-encrypted wireless network once I install Devuan, because I don't have wpa_supplicant installed; so, my question is, does the dev1 installer normally install wpa_supplicant? and, if not, is there any way to circumvent this issue? I imagine the issue is in part because I can't configure my network during install, so it may be that the installer doesn't find it necessary to install the package.

The reason I can't configure my network is because I need to have a wireless adapter in order to connect to the network, so what I would normally do when installing a new operating system is install the driver (rt2800usb) post-install.

Is there a better way to do this? I was wondering if maybe I could install the binary packages manually via dpkg, but I'm not quite sure how to navigate the package repo.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2017-03-19 01:10:38

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: No wpa_supplicant or iw?

It's a known problem - the beta2 installer doesn't find the wireless drivers. You might find them on the CD/DVD in /cdrom/firmware during installation, and you can probably find them if you pop the CD into a running system. Or you could download it. Either way, just install with dpkg as you suggested.

I'm pretty sure you need firmware-ralink which is in the non-free repo, and it's a package that devuan does not alter. That means you can get it from debian:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/firmware-ralink

#3 2017-03-19 01:18:08

golinux
Administrator

Better to download from the devuan merged non-free repos so that updates (if any) will be picked up.  wink

#4 2017-03-19 12:22:48

fsmithred
Administrator

golinux wrote:

Better to download from the devuan merged non-free repos so that updates (if any) will be picked up.  wink

Got a link? I can't find any packages at packages.devuan.org, and I can't even get to us.mirror.devuan.org in a web browser.

Once the package is installed, updates will not be a problem - the package manager will know the package is there and the system will be able to connect to the internet because the package is installed. Please note that I am NOT saying to add debian to sources.list. I'm just saying to get the package from a place that's accessible with any web browser and any operating system.

#5 2017-03-19 15:12:54

golinux
Administrator

The package manager will see it but won't the version number be different than the Devuan merged one?  Hmmmm, maybe not.  Version in the repos is 0.43 stable.  So it looks like Amprolla has not added any Devuan-specific identification.   So your suggestion should work.  Sorry for the noise.

#6 2017-03-20 04:36:45

easy

fsmithred wrote:

It's a known problem - the beta2 installer doesn't find the wireless drivers. You might find them on the CD/DVD in /cdrom/firmware during installation, and you can probably find them if you pop the CD into a running system. Or you could download it. Either way, just install with dpkg as you suggested.

I'm pretty sure you need firmware-ralink which is in the non-free repo, and it's a package that devuan does not alter. That means you can get it from debian:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/firmware-ralink

Excuse me if I'm not reading your response right, but Installing the drivers after the install is exactly what I've already been doing. My assumption here is that you're telling me to install the .deb file (which is, in fact, is located in /firmware just as you pointed out) during the install. Through the expert installer, I was able to prompt the option to load drivers from a removable media, but I haven't managed to get the installer to actually load what's on the USB I have containing the .deb file. I extracted the actual .bin files from the .deb and retried the install, but it still didn't work.

As I see it, at this point, the easiest possible way to get everything in order is to install wpasupplicant after the install; but my issue is that I can't seem to find the package. Using find, I couldn't locate an instance of wpasupplicant in the media containing the Duvean installer. That can't be right, right? I think I might not be using find correctly, or else, that isn't the appropriate command, but I can't find the wpasupplicant package there. I tried to install the .deb which belonged to the Debian Wheezy repositories, but that didn't work. I'm looking through the Duvean package repositories, but I think the package is being retrieved from the Debian repositories? It's embarrassing to say this, but I'm really at a loss as to what's going on over there.

In fact, I'm really not sure what to do now. Thanks for all the help, though. I really appreciate it!

#7 2017-03-20 05:34:56

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Maybe I misunderstood; my
devuan_jessie_1.0.0-beta2_amd64_CD.iso (from files.devuan.org)
includes /pool/DEBIAN/main/w/wpa/wpasupplicant_2.3-1+deb8u4_amd64.deb

#8 2017-03-20 11:41:06

fsmithred
Administrator

I think you have to do it after the install. I was not able to do it during the install. See https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=16
You should be able to install wpasupplicant and wireless tools with any of the package managers after the install with any of the isos. Only the DVD has wicd on it.

Other options include using the beta1 if you have a copy or waiting until rc1, in which this issue is fixed.

Board footer