The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-03 00:27:55

wdq
Website

In what country are you right Now ?

Me i am in UK - Somerset and yes i am Romanian and yes i love Linux and yes i will help everyone that i can with everything that i can .

Just a simple man!

#2 2018-05-03 01:06:34

MiyoLinux

Re: In what country are you right Now ?

United States.

I'm a Southern Boy...live in the state of Georgia. Hope to move to Florida. May move to Alabama for a new job.

I'm an indecisive American. tongue

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#3 2018-05-03 02:15:06

golinux
Administrator

I should write a book . . . "My life in Trumpistania" . . .

#4 2018-05-03 02:31:29

devuser

Germany. Likely to be stuck in austria for a bit soon though.

Nice to meet you all smile

Last edited by devuser (2018-05-03 02:31:59)

#5 2018-05-03 03:22:12

GNUser

I'm Brazilian but live in the USA with my American wife and two children (third on the way). We have a bilingual home where wife only speaks English to the kids, I only speak Portuguese (and geek) to them smile

Good to meet you guys. This is a nice little community.

-Bruno

Last edited by GNUser (2018-05-03 03:23:42)

#6 2018-05-03 11:05:26

sgage

I live in New Hampshire, USA, where Spring has finally arrived!

One thing I have always enjoyed about Devuan (and Linux generally) is the international nature of the community. On various forums or other communications, I never assume that my correspondent is in the USA. It's kind of nice knowing that they could be anywhere! Seems like someone is always just getting up or going to bed.

Also, my deep thanks (and respect) to those of you for whom English is a second (third?) language. I know it is a strange language, but somehow you make it work!

#7 2018-05-03 12:28:31

siva

Fun facts: in the future, most of my country will explode, and another part will be submerged underwater, all due to purely natural causes.

Which country am I in? wink

Last edited by siva (2018-05-03 12:34:30)

#8 2018-05-03 17:47:32

devuser

sgage wrote:

Also, my deep thanks (and respect) to those of you for whom English is a second (third?) language. I know it is a strange language, but somehow you make it work!

At least english doesn't assign random genders to inanimate objects which all have different articles. A bit of fun trivia: Guess which genders knife, spoon and fork have in german. Hint: You are likely to be wrong since it makes no sense at all wink

siva wrote:

Fun facts: in the future, most of my country will explode, and another part will be submerged underwater, all due to purely natural causes.

You are living on a very flat vulcano? No, seriously, i don't have the slightest clue hmm

#9 2018-05-03 19:05:37

zephyr
Website

Live in the US, don't call any particular place home. Lived good deal of my life in the Pacific, Marianas and Hawaii. Born in Tennessee, Texas is where much of my family reside.

@MiyoLinux: Great state of Georgia, loved living there for a few years in Buford.

@siva: Could be the US with your riddle.  For reference: New Madrid Seismic Zone, San Andreas, and Yellowstone National Park potential super volcano.

cheers

z

Last edited by zephyr (2018-05-03 19:15:53)

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#10 2018-05-04 00:21:38

catprints

Siva, possibly Indonesia?
I am in Minnesota,USA. My little piece of heaven.

"The obstacle is the path."

#11 2018-05-04 00:31:21

sgage

devuser wrote:
sgage wrote:

At least english doesn't assign random genders to inanimate objects which all have different articles. A bit of fun trivia: Guess which genders knife, spoon and fork have in german. Hint: You are likely to be wrong since it makes no sense at all wink

siva wrote:

You are living on a very flat vulcano? No, seriously, i don't have the slightest clue hmm

Heh, point taken. German happens to be the one language I've somewhat studied, so das, die, and der is the answer to your question. :-)  And yes, it makes no sense and all, other than to maybe differentiate things in a complex sentence with their adjectives and pronouns and what have you.

#12 2018-05-04 09:24:27

devuser

sgage wrote:
devuser wrote:
sgage wrote:

Heh, point taken. German happens to be the one language I've somewhat studied, so das, die, and der is the answer to your question. :-)  And yes, it makes no sense and all, other than to maybe differentiate things in a complex sentence with their adjectives and pronouns and what have you.

Well, almost wink You got die and der mixed up. A spoon is male while a fork is female (for whatever unknown reasons). It's pretty much a non issue anyways since beyond sounding a bit weird it's not going to change the meaning of a sentence and at least where i life there are so many non native speakers that it's not going to be noticed much at all. Besides, with some words it even depends on the region you are in. Like email for example is generaly accepted to be female in northern and central germany but when you move further south torwards austria you'll notice that it suddenly lost it's gender and became neutral.

If someone is interested in germanic languages i think dutch would be easier for english speakers than german as it doesn't have the gender/article madness and often seems closer to english than the german translations. Like you have 'street' in english 'straat' in dutch but 'Straße' in german, 'blood' - 'bloed' - 'Blut', 'i have' - 'ik heb' - 'ich habe' or even 'santa claus' - 'sinterclaas' - 'Weihnachtsmann' with german being completly off here. Anyways, my coffee is empty so i guess that's enough language observations for now. Hope i did'nt bore you to much wink

Last edited by devuser (2018-05-04 09:33:54)

#13 2018-05-04 12:49:55

Panopticon

East coast of Australia atm would love to live in New Zealand or Tasmania.

#14 2018-05-04 13:25:31

siva

zephyr wrote:

Live in the US, don't call any particular place home. Lived good deal of my life in the Pacific, Marianas and Hawaii. Born in Tennessee, Texas is where much of my family reside.
@siva: Could be the US with your riddle.  For reference: New Madrid Seismic Zone, San Andreas, and Yellowstone National Park potential super volcano.

Don't forget Florida, which is soon to become the new Atlantis. wink

#15 2018-05-06 15:21:00

mlsmith

@sgage We're pretty close - I'm in Maine.

#16 2018-05-10 04:08:04

rivenathos

I live in the state of Georgia, United States. My stomping ground is along the coast near the city of Savannah.

Currently running hardware includes a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.

#17 2018-05-12 00:26:30

0xf4b10

Hey guys, best regards from Brazil smile

#18 2018-06-13 15:39:51

Ogis1975
Website

Hello. I am from Lithuania.

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#19 2018-06-13 22:23:52

Dutch_Master

devuser wrote:

If someone is interested in germanic languages i think dutch would be easier for english speakers than german as it doesn't have the gender/article madness and often seems closer to english than the german translations.

No, but it has quite a few words (and sentences for that matter!) that can have more then one meaning, all depending on context! This is highly confusing for those not raised with Dutch as their native language wink  I know, we have quite a few of those* where I work. In fact, so much so that the company offers them Dutch language lessons during company time, twice a week! I don't need that, as you may have guessed from my nick tongue

*this includes folk from the Indian subcontinent, Central & Eastern Europe, Asia, various African nations and Central & South America.

#20 2018-06-14 07:13:01

devuser

Dutch_Master wrote:
devuser wrote:

If someone is interested in germanic languages i think dutch would be easier for english speakers than german as it doesn't have the gender/article madness and often seems closer to english than the german translations.

No, but it has quite a few words (and sentences for that matter!) that can have more then one meaning, all depending on context! This is highly confusing for those not raised with Dutch as their native language wink

True, dutch probably has it's very own set of pitfalls. Ik spreek nederlands een kleen betje but it's (very) far from enough to be able to hold a conversation so idiomatic expressions are beyond me.

Dutch_Master wrote:

I know, we have quite a few of those* where I work. In fact, so much so that the company offers them Dutch language lessons during company time, twice a week! I don't need that, as you may have guessed from my nick tongue

I have to admit i had this vague feeling wink

#21 2018-06-14 07:43:02

Andre4freedom

Switzerland. And convinced many folks here - that will make even more Devuan aficionados.... and to come.
Greetings from the lovely western part of Switzerland.

#22 2018-06-16 20:51:50

sacioz

a Brazilian noob salutes you all ...8-))

#23 2018-06-16 22:40:22

dxrobertson

US, midwest - Ohio.  Grew up in suburbia 60s/70s Columbus.  Now reside in a bit more relaxed area of SE Ohio.  Good to meet all of you!

Board footer