The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-14 19:34:32

golinux
Administrator

[Solved] Occasional reboot waking up from suspend

I really, REALLY don't like to reboot my PC.  Thankfully, suspend works well on Devuan Jessie.  Very fast going down and coming back up (except for eth0 which takes a few seconds to find).

But every so often it goes into a spontaneous reboot accompanied by rapid system beeps when waking up.  I usually use the spacebar to wake up but it seems any key will do the trick.  Is there a specific key I should be using?  Last failure, I had resumed with a key other than spacebar (not paying close attention) and the next time I used the spacebar, it rebooted. I only have 4 gb ram but only about half of that is ever used so can't imagine that is the problem.

figosdev has also observed this behavior but can't remember whether he's on a PC or lappy.

Thoughts anyone?

golinux

#2 2016-12-14 21:50:17

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Occasional reboot waking up from suspend

I got three: firstly, this is well beyond my expertise; secondly I tend to prefer using the shift key or ctrl key to wake a sleeping computer; and thirdly, the beep-beep-beep behaviour might suggest BIOS level concerns, which perhaps could be a dead battery. But again, I'm not expert on this (and I use a laptop, with acpid lid action).

#3 2016-12-14 21:50:34

blinkdog

golinux wrote:

Thoughts anyone?

Is there anything interesting to be found in /var/log/messages around the time of reboot?

#4 2016-12-14 22:11:11

golinux
Administrator

When I looked I didn't see anything.  But that was a while ago and I never thought to look again.  Will do next time it happens.  (If I can remember LOL!)

#5 2016-12-14 22:20:06

golinux
Administrator

Thanks for your thoughts.

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

I got three: firstly, this is well beyond my expertise;

Mine too.  It's an annoyance but nothing seems to be harmed from it except I have to reset all my desktops.  sad

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

secondly I tend to prefer using the shift key or ctrl key to wake a sleeping computer; and

I will try with those keys.  figosdev also mentioned something about using a different key in a discussion elsewhere.

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

thirdly, the beep-beep-beep behaviour might suggest BIOS level concerns, which perhaps could be a dead battery. But again, I'm not expert on this (and I use a laptop, with acpid lid action).

This never happened with wheezy or the other OS I have installed on this board over the years so I think unlikely it's the BIOS.  Battery?   Why would it fail only after days/weeks of no reboots?  Then be fine again for a longish time?

#6 2017-08-03 03:05:14

golinux
Administrator

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

. . . secondly I tend to prefer using the shift key or ctrl key to wake a sleeping compute . . .

Since I started to use the Ctrl key, there has not been one spontaneous reboot when waking up from suspend.  So it was either that or possibly an upgrade around that time. I'll mark this as solved.

Board footer