The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-02 20:58:04

golinux
Administrator

Debian Buster with SysVinit as PID 1 [from FDN]

Thought some of you intrepid d1gers might find this post from pcalvert, a long time Debian user, interesting or perhaps amusing?

pcalvert wrote:

Although written in the style of a tutorial, this document is not intended to be an exhaustive tutorial. Instead, the purpose of this document is to explain how I set up a Debian Buster system with SysVinit as PID 1 so that experienced GNU/Linux users can duplicate what I did. In addition, the system created by following this How-to should be considered experimental and not suitable for production use (until proven otherwise).

Seems like a lot of work to end up pretty much were the forks landed years ago but to each his/her own . . . .

I'd be interested in seeing  some perceptive comments from the d1g rebels!

#2 2020-06-02 21:02:33

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Debian Buster with SysVinit as PID 1 [from FDN]

Phil is a member here too: https://dev1galaxy.org/profile.php?id=4761

And it's not "a lot of work", all that's needed is to install sysvinit-core & elogind. The latter wouldn't be possible without the efforts of the Devuan devs ofc.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2020-06-02 21:14:57

golinux
Administrator

Anything in cli is a lot of work for me.  I saw his post and glazed over.  I'm really not that much of a techie.  My "talents" lie elsewhere.  That's why I was asking for some comparative Cliff Notes.

I wouldn't have posted this if I didn't have great respect for pcalvert.  It's just that comparative discussion would be useful to me (so I don't have to figure it out myself . . . which is, in reality, a non-starter . . . LOL!).

#4 2020-06-03 19:55:40

pcalvert

Just so people here know, here's why (in part) I chose to engage in what may seem, to some people, like a pointless endeavor:

1. To see what's currently possible.
2. To show others some of what's currently possible.
3. To (hopefully) increase the number of people using sysvinit-core and elogind -- Devuan may benefit from this since an increased number of people using those packages may help expose bugs more quickly.

Also, some people don't particularly like systemd, but they also don't want to leave Debian. Hopefully my post will help some of those people.

Phil

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

#5 2020-06-03 21:54:51

golinux
Administrator

@pcalvert . . . Thank you for that rational and lucid explanation.  Looks like you have contributed an import tool for Debianistas  to regain their init freedom.  Well done!!

#6 2020-06-04 12:11:54

HevyDevy

Probably well worth giving it a try if one knows how to do it. I tried this a few years ago with debian jessie and openrc i think and failed miserably, just my lack of knowledge as i believe i rebooted when i shouldnt have. Anyhow i shall give it a go one afternoon for shits and giggles, cheers pcalvert.

Board footer