The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-01-21 07:37:21

ToxicExMachina

Re: Debian has fallen. What now?

mckaygerhard wrote:

a good idea are join effors with trinity desktop..

It's not a high priority task. However, if you will build and maintain TDE packages in Devuan repo - why not?

#27 2020-01-21 13:13:56

mckaygerhard
Website

It's not a high priority task. However, if you will build and maintain TDE packages in Devuan repo - why not?

your response was very much better rather than anybody from devuan staff.. are a big task but maybe a well made script to automatically builds..

currently trinity desktop have packages..but due kde namespace  scheme some applications may conflict with counterparts in kde4, so their builds are made using "/opt/ as prefix.. that are a pain  in the ass to make integrated into any distribution..

due that so then a possible solution its to introduce conflilcts agains kde4 applications.. but this are not so easy and also introduces limits to users..

then, my proposal are a "official derivative work" using the EXE gnu linux as initial work, until the kde namespace scheme was complety migrated to the TDE naming scheme , for that i opened this issue https://sourceforge.net/p/exegnulinux/tickets/6/

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2020-01-21 13:31:50)

#28 2020-01-21 16:24:43

golinux
Administrator

This is being discussed here with the dev who has been doing exegnulinux since the fork.  It is unlikely that TDE would become the default but could certainly be made available for individual installation.  Hopefully, dzz would be able to assist with this.

#29 2020-02-04 17:23:00

steelpillow

Debian is committed to working with derivatives that make different choices about init systems. As with all our interactions with downstreams, the relevant maintainers will work with the downstreams to figure out which changes it makes sense to fold into Debian and which changes remain purely in the derivative.

That encourages me. If they put their proverbials where their mouth is, then we should see more init options moving back upstream and apps taking them back board. A level playing field is probably too much to ask for just yet, but I do see this as a small reversal of the rush towards the cliff.

— Cheers

Board footer