The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-12 17:35:23

Pietro

How to install Devuan Ceres without starting from ASCII?

It is possible to install Devuan stable (ASCII) and then, editing `/etc/apt/sources.list`, upgrade to Ceres.

However on my laptop I have an AMD Ryzen 7 2700U processor, which does not support Linux kernels before 4.10, so I just cannot install the stable versions (kernel 4.9) to start from.

So far I have not been able to find a Ceres `ISO` anywhere. Would you be so kind to add it to your repository? It does not matter if it is a development version that keeps changing. Just update it once a month.

Without it I am stuck. I will never be able to install Devuan on my system, until you provide a stable version with a kernel newer that 4.10.

Thank you for your help.

#2 2019-04-12 18:04:39

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: How to install Devuan Ceres without starting from ASCII?

You could use a Debian buster "live" ISO image to install Devuan ceres.

Load up the desktop then make sure debootstrap is removed:

# apt purge debootstrap

Then download the Devuan debootstrap package from here:

http://deb.devuan.org/devuan/pool/main/ … n1_all.deb

And install it with

# dpkg -i debootstrap_1.0.114+devuan1_all.deb

You can then follow this guide to install the Devuan system (skip the "install debootstrap" section, obviously):

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch … 03.html.en

For the debootstrap command use this version:

# debootstrap ceres /mnt/debinst http://deb.devuan.org/devuan

I used this method to install Devuan ascii from a Debian buster system, it should also work for ceres.

EDIT: a few shortcuts:

Rather than using MAKEDEV and mounting /proc you can instead install the arch-install-scripts package and run

# arch-chroot /mnt/debinst

to enter the chroot, this will bind mount all of the API filesystems automagically.

It also includes the genfstab command, which can be run before entering the chroot, like this:

# genfstab -U /mnt/debinst >> /mnt/debinst/etc/fstab

And instead of editing /etc/adjtime directly use this command:

# hwclock --systohc

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2019-04-12 18:23:43)

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2019-04-12 18:12:47

PedroReina
Website

Pietro wrote:

It is possible to install Devuan stable (ASCII) and then, editing `/etc/apt/sources.list`, upgrade to Ceres.

Have you tried install Beowulf (kernel 4.19) and then upgrade to Ceres?

#4 2019-04-12 18:18:28

golinux
Administrator

Have a look at the mini.iso.  Might be a good starting point for you.  linux-image-4.19.0-4 is in beowulf.

PS.  It is advised to never use the Debian repos directly.  Could cause much grief at some point.

#5 2019-04-12 19:10:41

rolfie

There are a few threads in installation which deal with Beowulf install and where to find the isos. I have done a native Beowulf installation from one of the late isos and it works fine.

Rolf

#6 2019-04-12 19:11:07

Pietro

@golinux: Thank you for the link. Just wondering why it is not advertised on the website.

- What do you mean with "It is advised to never use the Debian repos directly.  Could cause much grief at some point."?
Should I not use their ISOs?

- Should I install mini.iso on a USB stick and boot from there?

#7 2019-04-12 19:17:23

Pietro

Thank you to all of you for your help. I will try to install it now, and if I will succeed I will write an answer to the question I put on StackOverflow:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … stable-rel

Feel free to comment there, too.

#8 2019-04-12 19:36:03

Pietro

From Distrowatch it appears that Buster/testing has a 4.9.82 kernel, which is not recent enough for a Ryzen 7 2700U. Am I wrong?

Reference: http://distrowatch.org/table.php?distribution=devuan

#9 2019-04-12 19:43:18

golinux
Administrator

Pietro wrote:

@golinux: Thank you for the link. Just wondering why it is not advertised on the website.

Because it is a testing iso not a stable release for general use.

Pietro wrote:

- What do you mean with "It is advised to never use the Debian repos directly.  Could cause much grief at some point."?

All Debian packages are supplied by redirects through amprolla3 directly from the Debian repos.  Anything that could break Devuan is filtered and blacklisted.

Pietro wrote:

Sure!  If you're installing an Xfce DE you can get the beowulf theme pieces here and install them manually.

#10 2019-04-12 19:45:34

golinux
Administrator

Pietro wrote:

From Distrowatch it appears that Buster/testing has a 4.9.82 kernel, which is not recent enough for a Ryzen 7 2700U. Am I wrong?

Reference: http://distrowatch.org/table.php?distribution=devuan

Use backports.  Search for packages here. Also consider hanging out on irc freenode #devuan.  We just discussed the kernel thing over there.

#11 2019-04-12 19:57:09

rolfie

Pietro wrote:

Beowulf is apha, not beta or RC or even more.

Pietro wrote:

Well, either you use Debian or Devuan. The different init systems wil cause a conflict. If you want systemd you are welcome to use Debian Buster. If you don't use Beowulf. Should work on your laptop.

Pietro wrote:

Depends. You may write the iso to a CD/DVD and boot from there if you have the facilites to do so. Or you create a bootable stick in some  suitable way and install from there. For instruction use the web. Whatever you can do and like. Use wired LAN for the installation.

BTW: the distrowatch article talks about ASCII, the stable version.

Beowulf is testing. Don't worry, looks like its working fine, got it working on my secondary PC, looks like it rock stable.

Rolf

#12 2019-04-13 05:00:01

stanz

golinux wrote:

Have a look at the mini.iso

That one isn't finding kernel modules also. and fails in other ways...sry, I didn't copy errors.
Off to find that ascii mini that worked for me and SAVE it this time..LoL
smile
asta

miyoisomix.i2p

#13 2019-04-13 17:11:42

fsmithred
Administrator

Buster should have the 4.19 kernel, same as Beowulf. (It's really the other way around.)  Distrowatch is wrong.

But you don't need to use a debian-live iso. If you want to do a debootstrap install, I made this iso with the ascii-backports kernel (4.17 or 4.18) and devuan debootstrap is already installed.
https://get.refracta.org/files/experime … 3_1952.iso

Board footer