The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-05 13:59:35

siva

ThomOS - the new outrageous devuan-based switchblade OS

The crunkbong project has migrated to devuan ascii.  I decided to rename it after a good friend who got me into Linux. 

The project follows the same core values of simplicity, versatility, adaptability, and accommodation.  The idea is to use it when you need to accomplish a specific task in a live environment.

It boots to a console.  If you want a graphical session, you still have a choice of openbox (default) or dwm.  With the resources saved from stripping unnecessary components, I've fit a bunch of applications for fixing and monitoring. 

The thom-utils scripts have been updated.  wefe, for instance, has been (as far as I can tell) debugged and heavily modified for a variety of uses. 

Since this is the initial (0.1) release, I'm looking for testers and criticism.

Default login: thomos/thomos

Project page:
https://gitlab.com/souperdoupe/thomos

Download link:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/thomos/files/

Last edited by siva (2019-03-13 19:45:53)

#2 2019-03-05 16:35:36

golinux
Administrator

Re: ThomOS - the new outrageous devuan-based switchblade OS

I'm wondering how to deal with the name change on the derivative lists.  Maybe just leave crunkbong for now and add "crunkbong is now thomOS" and change the link?  Thoughts?.

#3 2019-03-06 01:37:41

fsmithred
Administrator

Suggested listing:
  ThomOS (formerly Crunkbong)

Siva, you didn't mention it, but login/password are thomos/thomos

System boots to console login. Login leads to automatic graphical session in openbox. I don't know how you got no autologin without adding 'noautologin' to the boot command, but you need to either add 'nox11autologin' or do something else to get rid of /etc/profile.d/zz-live-config_xinit.sh.

The boot item for foreign language does not work. The syntax 'lang=it_IT' is specific for lightdm along with refracta-lang, a custom live-config script for changing locale and keyboard at boot. I don't know if it still works. (you don't have that script, anyway). The standard method does work:
locales=it_IT.UTF-8 keyboard-layouts=it

That's as far as I got for now. More later. Looks good so far.

#4 2019-03-06 02:00:16

golinux
Administrator

fsmithred wrote:

Suggested listing:

That's what I was thinking.  Let's see what siva says.

#5 2019-03-13 19:47:39

siva

fsmithred wrote:

Suggested listing:

I'm down with it.

Siva, you didn't mention it, but login/password are thomos/thomos

Original post updated.

System boots to console login. Login leads to automatic graphical session in openbox. I don't know how you got no autologin without adding 'noautologin' to the boot command, but you need to either add 'nox11autologin' or do something else to get rid of /etc/profile.d/zz-live-config_xinit.sh.

Fixed.

The boot item for foreign language does not work. The syntax 'lang=it_IT' is specific for lightdm along with refracta-lang, a custom live-config script for changing locale and keyboard at boot. I don't know if it still works. (you don't have that script, anyway). The standard method does work:
locales=it_IT.UTF-8 keyboard-layouts=it

I went ahead and omitted this.

That's as far as I got for now. More later. Looks good so far.

Thanks!  And good to hear from you. big_smile

Note: I'll be uploading the new iso later.  I currently don't have internet at the new place.

Last edited by siva (2019-03-13 19:48:23)

#6 2019-03-13 21:29:31

stanz

did ya install pcmanfm or remove its non-working menu entry?
sorry, I didn't take notes at that hour, but other menu items failed.

It boots to a console.  If you want a graphical session, you still have a choice...

Booted to the Italian session, - straight into english-obox
where's your kewl wallpaper?
I'll wait on your new iso for more.
Congrats siva!  smile

miyoisomix.i2p

#7 2019-11-15 19:28:41

Altoid

Hello:

stanz wrote:

... install pcmanfm or remove its non-working menu entry?
... other menu items failed.

Has anything else happened with this Derivative?

It looks really great (reminds me of my favourite # !) but to be a switchblade OS it needs to have a fully functional file manager (or at least MC installed) and some sort of auto network configuration or scripts to get things running.

Otherwise it's sort of crippled.

Any news?

Thanks in advance,

O.

#8 2020-01-22 16:47:18

siva

Altoid wrote:

Hello:

stanz wrote:

... install pcmanfm or remove its non-working menu entry?
... other menu items failed.

Has anything else happened with this Derivative?

It looks really great (reminds me of my favourite # !) but to be a switchblade OS it needs to have a fully functional file manager (or at least MC installed) and some sort of auto network configuration or scripts to get things running.

Otherwise it's sort of crippled.

Any news?

Thanks in advance,

O.

@Altoid: thanks for following up.  I'm glad to hear you like the appearance.

On the topic of development: I finally scraped together enough money to buy a VM server, where I'm currently developing.  Likewise, I will probably just set up lighthttpd to streamline downloads and avoid external sites like sourceforge. I've lived without nonwork internet for about a year and finally have reliable connectivity again.

The next release is semi ready to go -- I'm building it from scratch.  I've spent awhile upgrading the tools -- particularly the wifi manager.  Dependency bloat has impeded many of my decisions in terms of components like a file manager, but I share your belief that something like MC should absolutely be installed.

There have also been other little surprises about the base I released last year -- particularly, things like, I completely forgot to install things like lsusb.  Really, really crticial components for debugging and fixing a system.  I'm trying to find a procedure to avoid this.

I'm also working on a way to automate the debootstrap->chroot->install->configure process.  It ended up more ambitious than I realized.  I've spent much of this year learning things I didn't realize could be done.

You can see progress on the thom-utils gitlab, particularly the "beta" folder.  (In truth, the OS is just a proof of concept for the tools, so looking at the project that way may make more sense.)  You can also view my post history for some further insights on changes.

Last edited by siva (2020-01-22 16:53:14)

#9 2020-05-05 14:39:35

siva

Your favorite lightweight OS just got an update:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/thomos … homos-0.2/

Major changes include

- Script to automate builds. (This is making my life crazy easy.)
- Fixed the openbox menu links
- Changed some default programs
  - Browser: netsurf
  - Editor: geany
  - File manager: xfe
  - Terminal: urxvt
- Fixed an issue where permissions had to be set in an insecure way for a user to boot X (Shoutout once again to FSR for saving the day)
- Pulled the fanenza-darkest icons without the entire ~118mb package
- Minor cosmetic changes to the gtk2/3 theme
- Screenshots! https://sourceforge.net/projects/thomos/

Board footer