The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-16 19:27:27

Tatwi
Website

As an extensive user, GIMP 2.10.x is unusable. 2.8.x is great though!

I would imagine that there isn't a large volume of GIMP users, so it's probably very easy for their development team to do whatever they like, despite bug reports and user feedback. Sadly GIMP 2.10.x is definitely a case where newer does not translate into better.

Anyway, in my experience the 2.10.x versions have broken the work flow and functionality of much what I actually use in GIMP to create graphics (https://github.com/tatwi/rockettux for example, GIMP source files are linked from there) to the point where the program is no longer usable. Even the performance and stability is utter garbage in both Linux (Mint 19) and Windows (10), in general, but especially when compared to 2.8.x in the exact same environment/hardware. (I could go into the specifics if need be).

For now it's easy enough to simply uninstall 2.10.x and continue using 2.8.x. Indeed, Devuan ASCII comes with 2.8.18, so it's not a problem here yet, but I see that version 2.10.x will be included in the next Devuan release and that may well be a problem for folks like me.

Given how version 2.10.x of GIMP is in many ways a different program than the one that came before it, I am hoping that version 2.8.18 can remain in the Devuan repo for future releases. They're simply that different.

Thank you for your time and consideration! smile

#2 2019-02-16 20:32:55

golinux
Administrator

Re: As an extensive user, GIMP 2.10.x is unusable. 2.8.x is great though!

This is not good news.  It might be easy enough to just keep an older version in the repos if the dependencies are compatible.  If not, the task of  sorting things out would fall to impacted users because the Devuan devs have their hands full and just don't have time to fix applications in user-space that take a wrong turn.  Would you be willing to maintain and package Gimp 2.8.x for beowulf and future Devuan releases?

#3 2019-02-16 20:37:14

MiyoLinux

I definitely agree with the OP. In trying the later versions of GIMP, I found that some of the options that I used were no longer there, or some of the options that I used were completely changed. I basically would have to learn how to use GIMP all over again. So...

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#4 2019-02-16 20:45:00

golinux
Administrator

@Miyo . . . maybe you can put together a gimp team to keep the older version compatible with newer Devuan releases.  I do not use gimp often - still do a lot of work on PS7 LOLOL!!!!  But I do use it for specific tasks on occasion - like converting png to xpm - and would not be happy to see those functions disappear.

#5 2019-02-16 20:49:25

Tatwi
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

I definitely agree with the OP. In trying the later versions of GIMP, I found that some of the options that I used were no longer there, or some of the options that I used were completely changed. I basically would have to learn how to use GIMP all over again. So...

Even fundamental stuff, like moving a floated selection that is in a layer "behind" another is impossible, if you can't "click through" the upper layer onto a visible portion of your floated selection. This the big one that makes 2.10 "unusable" for me, because I rely on that feature of GIMP a bajillion times a day... In 2.8, you can simply click the layer you want to work in, square select where you know the object is, float the selection, and click it to drag it even though it's completely hidden by upper layers. This is particularly important when you're using layer-level effects that don't show when the layer visibility is off... Anyway, that's "broke as fuck", as the kids would say.

So very much of that sort of thing, plus new bugs, and some pretty wicked awful performance degradation... 2.8 is actually pretty good, if you count thousands of hours of use in Linux and Windows without crashes or any major frustrations (I can't actually recall any frustrations I had with 2.8 at the moment...).

*sigh* Thank you for listening! smile

#6 2019-02-16 20:54:16

Tatwi
Website

golinux wrote:

This is not good news.  It might be easy enough to just keep an older version in the repos if the dependencies are compatible.  If not, the task of  sorting things out would fall to impacted users because the Devuan devs have their hands full and just don't have time to fix applications in user-space that take a wrong turn.  Would you be willing to maintain and package Gimp 2.8.x for beowulf and future Devuan releases?

I've never maintained a package and I haven't built a .deb in at least a decade, but I can probably figure it out. Provided that there aren't major C/C++ changes required to maintain compatibility with newer libraries (because GIMP is a massive program!), I could manage it.

It occurred to me this might be valid use case for an AppImage, given there wouldn't be any further development of GIMP 2.8. That would probably require the least amount of effort to maintain (though I've never made one of those either).

Board footer