The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-29 22:42:20

mknoop

ceres upgrade removed my xfce4 desktop

I ran apt-get upgrade --autoremove today on my ceres system which uses the xfce4 desktop.  During the upgrade I got the message that wicd was turned off.  The autoremove removed 109 packages.  When I reboot all I get now is the command prompt login.  When I try to run apt-get install task-xfce-destop I get:

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
task-xfce-desktop : Depends: slim but it is not going to be installed
                     Recommends: xfce4-mixer but it is not installable
                     Recommends: synaptic but it is not going to be installed
                     Recommends: policykit-1 but it is not going to be installed
                     Recommends: libpolkit-backend-consolekit-1-0 but it is not going to be installed
                     Recommends: policykit-1-gnome but it is not going to be installed

I ran apt-mark showhold, but got nothing back.

#2 2018-12-01 07:52:59

KatolaZ

Re: ceres upgrade removed my xfce4 desktop

Hi mknoop,

thanks for the report and sorry for the breakage. The bottom-line is that ceres is not ready for prime-time. That's why it's called "unstable", after all. task-xcfe-desktop will not work in ceres atm, since there is a problem with policykit-1. You can install the xfce4 components by hand (start with the package xfce4), but at the moment you will not get a functioning session management in ceres.

HTH

KatolaZ

#3 2018-12-01 16:41:10

golinux
Administrator

KatolaZ wrote:

. . . at the moment you will not get a functioning session management in ceres.

Indeed.  ATM my beowulf /ceres mini.iso install with Xfce on VB is not saving any settings between reboots.

#4 2018-12-01 18:28:41

mknoop

Thank you KatolaZ. I was glad to see at least some acknowledgment of the problem.

I am quite aware of the nature of the unstable version.  I am not wringing my hands in despair.  I just use my virtual machine of ceres to watch what is happening, and to check out more recent versions of software.

The complete wipe out of my desktop was something that needed to be reported, that is all.

Board footer