The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-29 13:12:49

ajhlinuxuser

The only thing I don't love about Devuan

I want to embrace the non-systemd world of new or forked Linux distributions, but I still want to understand and be competent with the "popular" distributions which use it.

So sometimes I ask the people in these other communities for help.  I am still quite new to the communities behind GNU/Linux, so I can't be 100% sure about this, but I have a pretty good hunch that the Devuan project has committed a fairly serious offense against the Debian community:

It looks like Devuan took all the nice people from Debian!!!  Every single one!!!

So.  Enough said.  I love everything Devuan, but you really should have left a few nice guys behind when you split.

Attached, please find an example of the current state at Debian Forums.

debian-forums-unbelievable-2018-11-29edit.png

#2 2018-11-29 14:09:24

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: The only thing I don't love about Devuan

Sorry about that, but we didn't get to choose who left and who didn't. If we did have that power, we would have taken a few more. But it turns out that would not have been necessary - they're coming around eventually. First year, we got all people who didn't want systemd, but as time goes by, we keep getting more people who thought they did want systemd and changed their minds after they got it.

Welcome to devuan.

P.S. Also sorry I didn't see your post a year ago. I don't think I've ever had two installs come out exactly the same with debian-installer.

#3 2018-11-29 14:54:03

sgage

I know what you mean. I have never encountered a more gratuitously user-hostile tech forum than Debian Forums. Even in the Beginners subforum, asking a simple question, even just trying to ask if something is a known issue, opens yourself up for all sorts of abuse, insults, mockery, etc. I don't understand how people get like that - seems it would be a miserable existence. Oh well.

ajhlinuxuser wrote:

I want to embrace the non-systemd world of new or forked Linux distributions, but I still want to understand and be competent with the "popular" distributions which use it.

So sometimes I ask the people in these other communities for help.  I am still quite new to the communities behind GNU/Linux, so I can't be 100% sure about this, but I have a pretty good hunch that the Devuan project has committed a fairly serious offense against the Debian community:

It looks like Devuan took all the nice people from Debian!!!  Every single one!!!

So.  Enough said.  I love everything Devuan, but you really should have left a few nice guys behind when you split.

Attached, please find an example of the current state at Debian Forums.

https://i.postimg.cc/htThdj0m/debian-fo … 29edit.png

#4 2018-11-29 17:22:35

siva

dasein wrote:

Reproducible problems are fixable.

#5 2018-11-29 17:34:20

ComputerBob
Website

fsmithred wrote:

Sorry about that, but we didn't get to choose who left and who didn't. If we did have that power, we would have taken a few more. But it turns out that would not have been necessary - they're coming around eventually. First year, we got all people who didn't want systemd, but as time goes by, we keep getting more people who thought they did want systemd and changed their minds after they got it.

Welcome to devuan.

I had been using Debian since 1997. Three months ago, I installed Devuan ASCII, and haven't looked back. To me, Devuan feels and works exactly like what Debian used to feel like, and work like, before sytemd.  wink (edited once, to correct an error)

Last edited by ComputerBob (2018-11-29 17:58:06)

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 22 Million Views since 1998
My Massive Stroke
Help! (off-topic)

#6 2018-11-30 05:26:04

golinux
Administrator

#7 2018-11-30 06:05:41

MiyoLinux

In all fairness, in drawing on what little that I personally know of Head_on_a_Stick, he is a very nice, courteous, and helpful individual. As such, though it may not be obvious to those unfamiliar with him, I interpret his response as an attempt to add humor to the thread.

...but that's me. tongue

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#8 2018-11-30 13:37:51

siva

MiyoLinux wrote:

...though it may not be obvious to those unfamiliar with him, I interpret his response as an attempt to add humor to the thread...

+1

#9 2018-11-30 14:26:31

siva

cynwulf wrote:

Found some more "nice, courteous and helpful..." comments for the reading delight of the resident headstick fanclub :

It depends on how you've encountered him tbh.  You guys have history in a way that a lot of users just don't.  Doesn't make either of you horrible people imo.

#10 2018-11-30 15:45:23

cynwulf

siva wrote:

It depends on how you've encountered him tbh.  You guys have history in a way that a lot of users just don't.  Doesn't make either of you horrible people imo.

Why thank you, but I have absolutely nothing against headstick...  big_smile

Just highlighting his real persona - (also by his own recent admission on DUF).

I posted worse things than that at FDN back in the day.  If you look specifically at the comment headstick responds to, his response is IMHO somewhat warranted.

#11 2018-11-30 15:53:22

Ogis1975
Website

Men and women. Girls and boys. Do not be to sensitive. And what about this user (headstick). He helped many people. It is therefore a very valuable forum member. In addition, in his speeches, there is a great deal of humor.

Last edited by Ogis1975 (2018-11-30 15:53:39)

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

#12 2018-11-30 16:19:01

cynwulf

Ogis1975 wrote:

Men and women. Girls and boys. Do not be to sensitive.

+1 (and the fanclub is growing steadily)

To me it speaks volumes that someone will return to a thread over a year later and still having a problem with that thread and those posters, then go to another forum and post a tailor made screenshot, soliciting comments about how nasty the FDN forum is...  well you should have seen it 7 + years ago.

To his credit, headstick has helped people out at that site, but it's a thankless task, burnout is inevitable...  once burnout occurs, the FDN celebrity assholes gallery beckons...  it's then up to the burnt out remains to resist the lure.

#13 2018-11-30 16:39:45

siva

cynwulf wrote:

Why thank you, but I have absolutely nothing against headstick...  big_smile

I was thinking to some DUF posts that I read awhile ago and it seemed like there was a serious feud between him and a few other members.  (Last I had checked, gl posted an awesome PDF and I'm reading through a few of the essays, rather than the post itself.  [I probably won't finish the post, either, tbh.])

Both of you do have an interesting post history, in your own contexts, at FDN.  Your reputation is quite notorious.

That said, if there really is some kind of user-based fanclub for any user, please remove me from the mailing lists.

Last edited by siva (2018-11-30 16:50:10)

#14 2018-11-30 23:07:09

sgage

Just FYI, someone posted a link to this thread in Debian User Forums/General Discussion.

Board footer