The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-09 05:22:18

ball

Anyone install Kali tools on Devuan? [solved]

When bt changed to kali, they inherited systemd hell from Debian. There is a tool called katoolin which I think is mainly used by ubuntu users which might work?
https://github.com/LionSec/katoolin
Not sure how similar the Kali and Devuan distros are. Cross-repository includes seen to only work if they're roughly derivative.

Last edited by ball (2018-11-11 22:08:49)

#2 2018-11-09 13:14:02

siva

Re: Anyone install Kali tools on Devuan? [solved]

ball wrote:

When bt changed to kali, they inherited systemd hell from Debian.

A lot of people were very unhappy about that, to say the least...

There is a tool called katoolin which I think is mainly used by ubuntu users which might work?

...but Ubuntu isn't going to be much better, in that regard...

Not sure how similar the Kali and Devuan distros are.

...so, your best bet is trying them out in a nonpersistent, throwaway, live environment, and reporting back to us, so as to provide the community some well-researched and tested insights...

Cross-repository includes seen to only work if they're roughly derivative.

...because in a persistent environment, you'll want to be careful when you repomix, especially in light of the systemd-ubuntu disclaimer above.

#3 2018-11-09 19:36:32

ball

siva wrote:

...but Ubuntu isn't going to be much better, in that regard...

I'm well aware. I was suggesting using katoolin on Devuan or MX Linux.

siva wrote:

...so, your best bet is trying them out in a nonpersistent, throwaway, live environment, and reporting back to us, so as to provide the community some well-researched and tested insights...

I currently don't have a ton of bandwidth or time, and the libraries (brick and mortar kind) here are filtered all to hell. I'm going to make an attempt later today at the library but don't expect much. It'll be a shot in the dark and last couple times I tried this I ended back on BT5.

The point of this thread is to find out if someone else has tried this already as to not waste not only my time, but everyone else's. It's a little thing called communication. Don't protest too loudly or you might reveal your autist level.

#4 2018-11-09 19:54:08

golinux
Administrator

ball wrote:

MX Linux just has sysvinit enabled according to Debian's instructions.  All of systemd is still intact and can be enabled at user's request.  So how would that be different than trying katoolin on Debian itself?

#5 2018-11-09 20:31:35

siva

ball wrote:

Don't protest too loudly or you might reveal your autist level.

That's adorable.

Anyways, I just tried it out, and everything worked exactly as expected.  No dependencies broken or anything.  So good call on sharing that.

Last edited by siva (2018-11-09 20:37:28)

#6 2018-11-10 00:17:23

ball

I tried it and the packages won't install due to some kind of key issue:

E: Some packages could not be authenticated

This may be due to the insane firewall here. I can't even access the devuan web sites without a VPN (or most sites it seems). I'm running a crappy VPN now (so I can post here), but it still gives the error.
It did install for MX Linux, but it nuked the install completely.

Last edited by ball (2018-11-10 00:17:53)

#7 2018-11-10 00:18:49

ball

golinux wrote:
ball wrote:

MX Linux just has sysvinit enabled according to Debian's instructions.  All of systemd is still intact and can be enabled at user's request.  So how would that be different than trying katoolin on Debian itself?

MX Linux does not have systemd installed by default, and they strongly urge users not to use it.

#8 2018-11-10 00:21:58

ball

Oh duh, got the key updated and it appears to be installing now.

Just have to see if it'll nuke Devuan like it did MX Linux

#9 2018-11-10 00:42:57

golinux
Administrator

ball wrote:
golinux wrote:
ball wrote:

MX Linux does not have systemd installed by default, and they strongly urge users not to use it.

You just repeated what I said.  I suspect you don't understand that systemd disabled by default still leaves active systemd elements and hooks.  Devuan removes those.

#10 2018-11-10 18:38:55

siva

golinux wrote:

You just repeated what I said.  I suspect you don't understand that systemd disabled by default still leaves active systemd elements and hooks.  Devuan removes those.

Based on the user's results, it sounds like it didn't matter much.  I'm guessing the kali-rolling repo probably broke a metric shit-ton of critical packages during the installation process.

ball wrote:

it appears to be installing now.

Glad you got it working.  Can you mark the thread as "solved" so future readers will know that your method "just works"?

Last edited by siva (2018-11-10 18:40:55)

#11 2018-11-11 22:08:25

ball

There are some problems, but they appear to be due to the tool itself and not debuan, so I'll change the subject line

#12 2018-11-12 13:48:34

siva

Thanks.  Do you mind telling us the steps you took to install it?

#13 2018-11-13 19:07:20

ball

Just followed the instructions on the github. It's just a single python script so far as I can tell.

#14 2018-11-16 17:41:27

siva

If you also used the default, kali-rolling repo, it might be beneficial to note the number of packages it tries to upgrade.  I noticed a sizeable upgrade list of critical software when I tried that one in a nonpersistent environment: things like g++, if I remember correctly.  May not make a difference in the short term, but could pose compatibility errors later on, as I'm fairly certain rolling is based on sid.

Last edited by siva (2018-11-16 17:42:29)

Board footer