The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-17 19:02:52

basati

A devuan manual, why not?

I want to make a proposal to everyone here in the galaxy. and  to the devuan team.

I think we can start writing the manual. How?

Writing howtos on the topics that we each like the most.

Then they come together, the relationship is homogenized to give it coherence.

I think we need to establish criteria that are good, we can vote for them.

I see the following needs:

An established format that everyone has to respect.

A new section in the forum: howtos

I am very critical and have always been critical about how a manual should be made. I think it is necessary that it be oriented to three readers. Newbies, users, advanced users.

To do this you have to define which howtos are type 1, 2 or 3

When mounting the book using decimal notation, the first level is generic, the second is for beginners, the third is for users and the fourth is for advanced users. This way we have three manuals in one

Examples' must be included in each section, providing specific howtos.

So I propose the typical brick but rich with the three types of readers, along with howtos.

Is this an acceptable proposal?

I believe it is essential that we have a manual, but one that is alive, continually renewed, maintained and progressively enriched.

A greeting

Basati

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Gora gu ta gutarrok

8=þ

#2 2018-07-17 19:35:08

golinux
Administrator

Re: A devuan manual, why not?

@ Basati,

Thank you for putting thought into something that would be very useful for Devuan.  Yes, documentation is needed and has been discussed extensively at times.  msi (also msiism) has been leading the official documentation.  A wiki is already in process here - https://friendsofdevuan.org/doku.php but currently there has not been much progress.  There is also #devuan-wiki on freenode.   Feel free to add your voice and energy to help push this forward.

#3 2018-07-29 19:05:30

astheroth
Website

There is a lot of Debian Manuals. There is some book called The Debian Administrator Handbook Manual,6  I suppose that debian 6/7 version of it, could fit with devuan.The only thing is to read the literature for debian and pick some text which it license allows modifications to adapt it to devuan requirements, instead starting a new documentation project from scratch.

<<Lupus est homo homini, non homo, quom qualis sit non novit>>

#4 2018-07-30 22:26:45

ChuangTzu

astheroth wrote:

There is a lot of Debian Manuals. There is some book called The Debian Administrator Handbook Manual,6  I suppose that debian 6/7 version of it, could fit with devuan.The only thing is to read the literature for debian and pick some text which it license allows modifications to adapt it to devuan requirements, instead starting a new documentation project from scratch.

agreed, adapt and modify from what is already available.

#5 2018-07-30 23:15:32

golinux
Administrator

We have already planned to do that.  It is the Devuan specific documentation that needs to be written.  msi was working on it but has disappeared.  Volunteers come and go . . .

@ChuangTzu . . . You have been rather absent.  Please don't be a stranger.

#6 2018-08-11 23:02:44

ChuangTzu

golinux wrote:

We have already planned to do that.  It is the Devuan specific documentation that needs to be written.  msi was working on it but has disappeared.  Volunteers come and go . . .

@ChuangTzu . . . You have been rather absent.  Please don't be a stranger.

smile

#7 2018-08-11 23:03:54

ChuangTzu

golinux wrote:

Is there a list of what msi was planning on adding/working on?

#8 2018-08-11 23:18:34

golinux
Administrator

ChuangTzu wrote:
golinux wrote:

https://friendsofdevuan.org/doku.php/devuan_doc:start

#9 2018-08-12 00:35:19

ChuangTzu

golinux wrote:
ChuangTzu wrote:
golinux wrote:

https://friendsofdevuan.org/doku.php/devuan_doc:start

Going to look this over and get to work on it.

Board footer