The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-24 15:14:11

alluredbit
Website

Purging exim breaks MATE install

I just did a default install of 1.0 on vbox with MATE, and then I removed all utility software, alsa and pulseaudio, saned, etc.. I used apt-get remove --purge, clean, autoremove

When I purged exim I got some error about 'wildcard services are not going to work until next reboot' .. After reboot I am still able to log in, but only to run level 3.. if I startx the GUI it looks some gardien green-blue and no desktop..

This is just a kick-the tires install, as on Devuan I never installed any of the desktop before, and curious what works and what breaks. If you ask i can try and duplicate this later.. I purge exim all the time from the server installs and no issues.

Last edited by alluredbit (2018-03-24 15:14:50)

start.webtechbazaar.com
Describe whats important, what seldom or never change - then give it away!

#2 2018-03-24 15:27:48

golinux
Administrator

Re: Purging exim breaks MATE install

Maybe it would be a better idea to start with a minimal install and build a DE piece by piece rather than trying to gut a full-blown default install.

#3 2018-03-24 16:57:06

alluredbit
Website

I did that, installing a bare system utils-only then purged exim and tasksel MATE.
Different issue this time: the menu item 'root terminal' ( /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator) is not taking the root password. Luckily there is an xterm emualtor that works, so I am able to run sudo.

When I run 'sudo apt-get remove --purge exim*' the package list contains mate-desktop stuff.. so it seems MATE has a lot of dependencies requiring exim.

Exim is not currently part of webmin, and I am experimenting with that and usermin so I would prefer a different mta. I might have to leave exim in place, or try a different DE. btw, webmin did a fantastic job to support Devuan.

start.webtechbazaar.com

#4 2018-03-24 18:05:26

golinux
Administrator

I don't think a "bare install" would include any desktop.

#5 2018-03-24 19:05:51

Geoff 42

I recall that when I installed Postfix, that it removed Exim. So it may be that installing your preferred MTA may sort out any dependencies better than removing Exim.

Geoff

#6 2018-03-24 19:43:59

alluredbit
Website

I am trying Dovecot which is part of webmin / usermin (exim is not). Its not like exim is in my way, but I just cant seems to get rid of it without breaking something. For me openbox was great for years, but now I am thinking of a slim desktop which does have the KDE or Gnome dependent file managers, text editors and other nice utilities the bare openbox/usermin combo do not readily have.

This is, however, not an issue with Devuan anyhow, I assume its the same on any other distro as well.

start.webtechbazaar.com

#7 2018-03-25 11:21:40

fsmithred
Administrator

You're running into the metapackage problem. When you install a metapackage like task-mate-desktop, it pulls in everything you might need for a complete dekstop environement, and when you try to remove a piece of that DE, it breaks the metapackage, which wants to remove ALL of its deps. There are a couple of ways around this, but they both involve starting out with a small installation and adding pieces instead of starting big and removing pieces. When you get to the tasksel window in the installer, un-check the destkop environment box. (maybe un-check everything except standard system utilities.

Then start installing what you want. You could install the mate metapackage, and that would be tied to fewer dependencies than the task- package. Or better yet, install mate-core, see what that brings in, and then start adding other pieces that you need. This way takes a little more work to find what you want, but it makes it a lot easier if you want to remove something.

These might help:

apt-cache rdepends exim4
aptitude why exim4

#8 2018-03-25 14:35:57

golinux
Administrator

Yup . . . The haiku version

Board footer