The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-21 10:18:39

spartrekus.git

What's the point to keep maintaining DEVUAN?

Hello,

I see not really a point to keep DEVUAN being maintained. The most difference is SystemV.

Since almost most LINUX distros have SystemD, it makes really no point or sense. It is time lost, since everyone could use FreeBSD or OpenBSD which is really UNIX. Linux Kernel will be made to match and work well with SystemD probably in future.

There were many changes in Debian evolution history that made it looks like more different than this first Unix philosophy.

X11 will be a dead project. X11 dev killed it. Wayland, SystemD, Pulseaudio, ... is the future !   

Better to create a new kernel and new software based on BSD philosophy, just from scratch. It is fairly possible since all FreeBSD and PDP are open source today.

Linux kernel and softwares, with all strange softwares, on the top have changed a lot since 2000. Since potatoe, things got wrong, until Ubuntu human like desktops come up. To me, Debian looks more like a sort of Ubuntu.

I am sorry to be demotivating, I am demotivating myself, when I see the programming and development evolution for Linux.

On contrary, FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD remained clean, and it is still today working like a charm.

I wish you all success with efforts of having a SystemD-free Debian like distribution.

Best regards,
Another Unix BSD user.

Last edited by spartrekus.git (2018-01-21 10:31:58)

#2 2018-01-21 12:29:18

yeti

Re: What's the point to keep maintaining DEVUAN?

Add APT to NetBSD and I'm all in!

I tried a lot of times (and probably will do it again, Mom!) to get along with BSD (FreeBSD & NetBSD (preferred)). It is easy as long as you only have some hands full of ports/packages installed. If you take a full blown desktop and expect an upgrade to be easier than starting a new install from scratch, you are in the wrong parallel universe.

I love NetBSD! The base system is fantastic, but ports/pkgsrc are pain.

Last edited by yeti (2018-01-21 12:38:02)

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#3 2018-01-21 15:02:35

cynwulf

spartrekus.git wrote:

Hello,

I see not really a point to keep DEVUAN being maintained.[etc] Wayland, SystemD, Pulseaudio, ... is the future !   
[etc]
Another Unix BSD user.

Great trolling!

#4 2018-01-21 20:28:18

golinux
Administrator

@spartrekus.git . . . why exactly are you here?

Board footer