The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-29 10:48:06

lea0342

Questions for switching from Arch Linux to Devuan

First of all sorry for the long post!

Hello, I've been using Arch Linux since mid 2007, mainly for personal use, but in recent years, for work in coding. I do Testing Automation in Java.

As an Arch Linux user, i'm used to the latest versions of applications and so many updates on a daily basis, that gives me a sense of my system to have security fixes for the applications i use. Also i use some applications from the AUR, but not so much, mainly some games like Doom and Quake source ports, and Google Chrome as I need it to test sites at work.

In recent times i've less and less time to fiddle with my computers, 2 at home and 3 at work, (2 little sons... building our own house... etc) and the idea of stop using a rolling release distribution, with stable packages, in which i can only install what i need is more and more appealing to me, as i really don't need the bleeding edge of Arch. Also, i've a passion for open source and love that Debian/Devuan have separate repositories for "main contrib non-free" software, and that the kernel doesn't have any closed source blobs.

I've configured and using Devuan in a vm for some days now, and installing the base system, with xorg, openbox, tint2 and suckless-tools was different from Arch, yes, but amazingly fun to learn, fun that i didn't have in a lot of time with linux.

With that background, i have some questions and/or concepts about Debian/Devuan that i wanted to know your opinions to learn more.

-Build applications that are not in the repos:
In Arch Linux, the AUR has a lot of applications that are not in the repos, basically you "git clone" the package building instructions and build it, i've come across this tutorial (https://wiki.debian.org/BuildingTutorial) and followed it to build "stterm" (from the repos) so that's covered for applications in the repos (with apt-get source <package>) but what about applications that are not in the repos? for example Github hosted applications like Chromedriver. I think the same procedure applies with the proper caution.

-Security updates
As Debian moved to 9.1 some days ago, i saw that the applications and kernel are more new, then i learned that Devuan stable branch is based on Debian Jessie and that Debian current stable branch is based on Stretch. At some point this difference will disappear and Devuan stable will be based on Stretch? what is the expected time that will happend? Also, i read that Stretch has some important security updates, will it come to Jessie now that Stretch is the current Debian stable? if so, will them apply to Devuan stable as well?

-Backport applications and Google Chrome
Not sure how to apply this to Devuan, only find information for Debian and don't know if it's compatible, but i need openjdk8 or oraclejdk8 for work, and Google Chrome, maybe the instructions for getting both for Debian Jessie works well with Devuan?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my newbie questions! Also thanks for putting the fun back into linux for me.

#2 2017-07-29 22:27:49

fungus
Website

Re: Questions for switching from Arch Linux to Devuan

I was on Manjaro for a while, rarely did I use AUR.  Manjaro had a project with xfce openrc and it run well lately.  Now they are giving up all support and in 1-2 months OpenRC will not be in official Manjaro repositories, I suspect it will stay in AUR.  Artix is a new distribution (see signature for link) that is criscrossing Manjaro and Arch, eventually becoming Arch based and all packages will be built from source.
Back to debian/devuan.  I have only run stable for a day or two, ascii and ceres seem fine, and I never
had a problem, but never had a problem with sid either.  So I guess it depends on what you do.
I suspect the work on devuan is cut out to clean all debian updates from being able to run without systemd.  Based on the dynamic of debian devuan has a future.  But it may become too much work eventually as debian is making harder and harder to stay away from systemd.  So who knows.  Rolling distributions are always a risk of waking up one morning to a dead system.

#3 2017-07-31 00:44:30

garyz.dev1

Welcome to Devuan !! I am having fun also!  building for Beaglebone Black and doing some different Devuan installs -
32bit/64bit different desktops
'
this link https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=715 should shed some light on many of your questions.
I do know they are working on the next release - ASCII - its named after a star. 
rsyslog is an issue - but there are two other loggers that work --(i did the  something-ng one without an issue)
and there is another workaround mentioned.
'
I think ASCII will be a little slower coming - due to the complete removal of systemd stuff (dbus ? udev?)
- some of that I believe is still in the Jessie:: I have upgraded to ASCII per a guide on dev1galaxy -
but I am not a heavy user - Internet search\youtube   Internet email ; some mp3/cd audio; a
little printing and libre-office writer.
'
HTH and have some more fun!

Last edited by garyz.dev1 (2017-07-31 00:45:53)

#4 2017-07-31 01:11:20

golinux
Administrator

garyz.dev1 wrote:

I do know they are working on the next release - ASCII - its named after a star.

No, not a star.  It's the name of a minor planet in our solar systemwink

garyz.dev1 wrote:

rsyslog is an issue - but there are two other loggers that work --(i did the  something-ng one without an issue) and there is another workaround mentioned.

To clarify . . . from  https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=4081#p4081

fsmithred wrote:

. . . you can install rsyslog from backports (or else replace it with syslog-ng or busybox-syslogd

#5 2017-07-31 13:24:25

MiyoLinux

lea0342 wrote:

-Backport applications and Google Chrome
Not sure how to apply this to Devuan, only find information for Debian and don't know if it's compatible, but i need openjdk8 or oraclejdk8 for work, and Google Chrome, maybe the instructions for getting both for Debian Jessie works well with Devuan?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my newbie questions! Also thanks for putting the fun back into linux for me.

Yes, the Debian instructions for Chrome apply to Devuan (last I checked). You can install Chrome in Devuan by simply going to the Chrome website (if you already have a browser) and download the Chrome.deb file for Debian/Ubuntu. Install it with the Gdebi Package installer...or...you can install it through the terminal if you don't have the gdebi GUI installed on your system. I can also give you the terminal commands to install it without gdebi if needed. Just let me know which you prefer. smile

Any of the three methods will install Chrome and add the Chrome repository...and future updates of Chrome will be included on your system. smile

To add backports, just add the following to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged jessie-backports main
deb-src http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/merged jessie-backports main

I have no experience with openjdk8 or oraclejdk8...sorry.

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2017-07-31 13:49:36)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Board footer