The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-16 02:54:39

golinux
Administrator

HDD thrashes when file moved to trash or other location

This has been annoying me for a very long time.  I move a file to trash or elsewhere and the HDD activity maxes out.  Can't do anything until it stops.  Anybody know what's triggering that and can it be turned off?  It doesn't do it every time but usually the first instance on any day.  That partition has 346 GB used and 80% full.  I keep trying to delete stuff but too much video editing happening.  On Jessie with Xfce and slim.

#2 2017-07-16 03:52:56

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Re: HDD thrashes when file moved to trash or other location

a) any hardware loggging in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/kern.log ?
b) is Trash and file on the one and same partition ?
c) which actual program is it? ("mv" or "rm" or gui dnd)

E.g., by hearsay I think on an ext* file system, "rm" of a huge file will stall the system because it locks the directory while reclaiming the blocks, whereas an intra-partition "mv" however is instantaneous, being just some top level pointer juggling in the directory tables.

#3 2017-07-16 04:57:26

golinux
Administrator

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

a) any hardware loggging in /var/log/syslog or /var/log/kern.log ?

Nothing that I could see.

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

b) is Trash and file on the one and same partition ?

Usually all the files are in home on a separate ext4 partition.  Occasionally, I will move files in and out of root (like themes etc.)

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

c) which actual program is it? ("mv" or "rm" or gui dnd)

GuiGirl either drags and drops files or or uses Thunar R-click actions 'Move to trash' or 'Delete'.

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

E.g., by hearsay I think on an ext* file system, "rm" of a huge file will stall the system because it locks the directory while reclaiming the blocks, whereas an intra-partition "mv" however is instantaneous, being just some top level pointer juggling in the directory tables.

Interesting . . .  Thanks for your thoughts . . .

#4 2017-07-22 01:35:41

Count_Cucaracha

If I understand you, you're saying that you experience this when using a filemanager? What happens at a terminal to move the same file? If you're using a filemanager,  that could be doing other "things".  If you're not using a filemanager there are other possible problems. 

ext4 tuning can be tweaked or at least you can look at the current settings, tune2fs, but usually the defaults are adequate.
Sometimes those defaults are not adequate.

There are some other hdd kernel tunables but I don't recall them all.  Also check the ext4 filesystem defaults. I don't know where those are on Devuan.

I recall fiddling with this for a external usb drive and found better performance:

vm.swappiness

That's a sysctl setting of the kernel, FYI.

#5 2017-07-22 09:07:40

FOSSuser

Try using mc, (a graphical command line file manager), in a terminal, & see if it takes as long, if not it may be your particular file manager, try a different one.

(I don't get any thrashing on any of my systems when moving or deleting, so may be something about your system setup.)

Last edited by FOSSuser (2017-07-22 09:08:07)

Board footer