The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-09-17 13:24:08

ks

[SOLVED] Can't get fluxbox to start

I have about half a dozen PCs and one laptop here running fluxbox as WM (no desktop), all of which have been installed between January and March this year (2024).

I've now been asked to get this working on one more PC for a late convert to the efficiencies of lean systems.

Unfortunately I can't get this working at the moment.

From memory I used to (on a fresh install):

1) make sure, seatd is installed
2) install fluxbox and lightdm
3) when prompted during installation, select lightdm instead of slim
4) update-rc.d slim remove
5) update-rc.d lightdm defaults
6) reboot

Upon login (using lightdm) fluxbox loads within a few seconds allowing me to customize menus, styles etc.

Done.

I've tried now to modify a system that was (or still is) running xfce without succeeding. I've also tried this in a qemu instance of a new desktop installation, failing there too.

Either the very brief notes I made when doing the upgrades at the beginning of the year are wrong and I have forgotten what I really did at the time, or something low level has changed and it's no longer possible to use windows managers on their own.

I've compared the list of files containing the word "fluxbox" in /etc and /usr and they match. The installations of fluxbox match too (obviously).

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 2024-09-17 13:38:34

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Can't get fluxbox to start

Up to the right there is the WM selector, for choosing fluxbox rather than xfce4 ?

#3 2024-09-17 15:02:04

ks

Re: [SOLVED] Can't get fluxbox to start

I haven't. I'm so used to logging in without looking at that switch and, at the end of the day, to use logout in fluxbox, followed by an ALT F4 to logout of lightdm followed by RETURN to shut down.

It came to me when I went for a walk after I've posted, hoping that no-one had noticed the posting.
Well, it was probably necessary to have a reminder what it feels like when you have egg on your face.
But man, I'm relieved.

Board footer