The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-08-30 21:45:55

pcalvert

Disappearing files

Has anyone else had files mysteriously disappear? When I do research on a new topic, I create a text file for it. The file includes things like snippets of text, URLs, and keywords that I used to find the information. Since 2020, at least three or four of these files have mysteriously disappeared. For example, earlier in the year I created a file on fifth-generation warfare (aka, 5GW). Recently, I found some new information that I wanted to add to it, but the file was nowhere to be found. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but the file was located on a partition that I formatted as ext3.

I just remembered something else that's a little spooky. The file was backed up, using rsnapshot, to a second HDD. It disappeared from the backup drive as well.

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.
Another one is called Luxxle.

#2 2024-08-31 14:26:48

Andre4freedom

Re: Disappearing files

Such things can, but should not happen, in cases where you have a system-crash while editing a file, or at least when it was opened for writing.
Since you have an ext3 filesystem, which is the first release oft ext filesystems that is a journaling filesystem by default, it's less likely to happen. But it's not guaranteed in all situations. fsck and other repair tools can wipe such accident-files. Check in /lost+found directory of the concerned filesytemm. It's the place for recovered blocks.

And: tools that sync or snpashot filesystems for backup, can delete files in the backup volume if the file is no longer present in the source filesystem. Check the options.

Man pages and a bit of study of the tools and systems used can well remove some spookiness.
Good luck.

PS: pulling the power-plug or removing a mounted external disk suddenly can be considered system-crashes as well.

#3 2024-09-01 13:47:26

pcalvert

Thanks for the reply.

Andre4freedom wrote:

And: tools that sync or snpashot filesystems for backup, can delete files in the backup volume if the file is no longer present in the source filesystem. Check the options.

Yes, I know that, but that is not the case here. I am using rsnapshot, which creates daily, weekly, and monthly backups. Since the monthly backups cover the previous year, even if the file had been deleted from recent backups, it should still be in one or more of the older backups. The only exception to that (that I can think of) would be if the file had been deleted shortly after it was created. And I can say with certainty that such a scenario does not apply to two of the three or four files that have disappeared, including the most recent one.

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

#4 2024-09-01 13:57:53

rolfie

.... but the file was located on a partition that I formatted as ext3.

Maybe its related to the older version of the ext file system. Don't know how they do maintain the ext3 module it in the kernel. I would change that to ext4.

I am on ext4 since its available. I don't see any reason not to switch.

Last edited by rolfie (2024-09-01 13:59:01)

#5 2024-09-03 19:38:54

fanderal

#6 2024-09-04 05:29:33

fanderal

No other thoughts on the missing files yet noticed you save 5GW files. I also save them, like the Fitts interview posted a while back. PM me if you'd like to exchange some links.

#7 2024-09-04 19:24:00

pcalvert

Maybe, but I don't think so. I've never seen any error messages when running rsnapshot. I don't run it using cron, I use a script that I wrote so, unless I am mistaken, I believe that I would have seen any error messages if there had been any.

You did give me an idea, though. I am going to create a test file and then delete it after a week or two. That should allow me to determine whether rsnapshot is working correctly.

Board footer