The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-02 21:06:31

Ron

Chromium wonky for anybody else?

Has Chromium been running wonky for anybody else the last month or so? It started giving me an error message every time I opened it saying that it didn't shut down properly, do I want to restore the tabs? But it always had been shut down properly. One of the last updates seemed to have fixed this issue for me, but now when I create a new profile it keeps "forgetting" it. Happened at least twice. Anybody else getting weird issues with it? It's seriously making me consider going back to Vivaldi. I suppose the first thing I should try is to completely remove it and then reinstall it.

Last edited by Ron (2024-07-02 21:07:27)

#2 2024-07-02 21:33:37

alexkemp

Re: Chromium wonky for anybody else?

an error message every time I opened it saying that it didn't shut down properly

Yup. Same for me every month or so now every time I re-open after shutdown.

I tend to leave it open all the time (unrelated to this issue) for days at a time, so do not know when it first started happening.

Daedalus. Daily updates.

#3 2024-07-03 11:26:53

stopAI

Hello.

Same problem here.I haven't found any way to solve this problem (other than using the flatpak chromium version).

#4 2024-07-03 18:39:41

zapper

Chromium... sigh people use that... its not exactly good regarding leaks. Firefox at its best leaks less.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#5 2024-07-04 15:28:59

stopAI

Chromium... sigh people use that... its not exactly good regarding leaks.

Hello.
If you don't want to be tracked and protect yourself from data leaks (if it's possible at all), then there is another project for such purposes called ungoogled-chromium.

#6 2024-07-04 17:45:37

quickfur

I don't trust Chromium. I only use it for the handful of antiquated sites that refuse to play nice with Firefox. Too many auto-tracking things, and other misfeatures like that.

I'm not a big fan of Firefox either (too bloated, too many unneeded features, telemetry, etc.), but it's the lesser of the two evils IMO.  The Web itself is evil, but at present avoiding it altogether isn't yet practical.  Maybe one day... tongue

#7 2024-07-05 02:46:08

zapper

Only thing I can say, is if you have to trust Chromium or some more proprietary version, such as Microsoft Edge or Vivaldi or slimjet.

Always go for the most open source one.

Proprietary is a lock hidden by obscurity.

IE it doesn't work too well.

I detest the whole Chromium empire though in general.

Badwolf web browser and UXP based web browser both are the only ones worth anything.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Peace Be With us All!

#8 2024-07-05 05:00:54

aluma

Chromium works for me without problems, without the mentioned errors.
Ublock has been added to it and the cache has been moved to RAM.

And as for the “use open source” mantra, in some cases there is no choice (video calls on Facebook), in others it requires additional software (for sound, for example on some computers), and in others, who, for example, controls the ublock lists? The developer himself does not do this.

Firefox has been turned into a toy for developers, they have removed the ability to change the font size for the user by simply selecting from the menu (which, in my opinion, is highly desirable), but they have provided the opportunity to delve into dozens of settings parameters, the meaning of which can only be understood after a deep study of the documentation.

P.S. Elections, browser errors, the ublock list (what prevents you from adding “unnecessary” sites there), the “newbie” of Petrov and Bashirov... coincidences?

Last edited by aluma (2024-07-05 07:45:19)

#9 2024-07-05 11:19:20

stopAI

Chromium or some more proprietary version

Hello.
I don't know what you mean by "more proprietary version", but chromium is completely open source software.

#10 2024-07-05 18:58:48

delgado

Ich kaufe ein "G" und möchte auflösen:

Google Chrome,
Vivaldi,
Opera
and worst of all f*ck Mickysoft's Edsh.

EDIT: And the best part of all existing Android "Apps".

Last edited by delgado (2024-07-06 20:01:09)

#11 2024-07-12 06:57:32

zapper

@stopai did you see what I wrote after that?

I clearly wrote Microsoft Edge, slimjet and Vivladi.

Peace Be With us All!

#12 2024-07-12 21:59:05

Ron

Well it just happened again. Chromium lost one of my profiles. I'll try uninstalling completely and reinstalling. Hopefully that will fix it.

#13 2024-07-13 00:01:27

quickfur

By uninstalling completely, you mean reinstalling the entire OS??!  I've never had to do that with any of my Linux systems.  Used to do it all the time with Windows, but I think the reasons for that are well-known.

As for Chromium, I only use it for specific sites, so not enough for me to really say for sure. But perhaps one possible problem is old / corrupted profiles?  If you inherited your profile from older versions of Chromium, it may have accumulated legacy crud that could be causing malfunctions. Maybe try deleting all your profiles and re-creating them from scratch?  I've had to do that with Firefox profiles once, and it got rid of a lot of strange intermittent problems.  Try to resist the urge to import old data if possible -- sometimes that will also import inherited problems from the past.

You could also try clearing out caches and old settings. Not from within the browser -- that's unreliable -- but manually deleting $HOME/.cache/chromium, $HOME/.config/chromium (warning: this will also destroy your profiles), and /tmp/.org.chromium.Chromium.*, and then reconfiguring Chromium from scratch.

#14 2024-07-13 01:20:24

Ron

quickfur wrote:
By uninstalling completely, you mean reinstalling the entire OS??!

That is an emphatic "no." I mean uninstall Chromium, and then manually going through and deleting all the leftover chromium folders left on the system.

Last edited by Ron (2024-07-13 01:20:57)

#15 2024-07-15 22:12:38

quickfur

Oh I see. That's a possible approach if all else fails, though I can't see how much of a difference it would make vs. just deleting the caches, config files, and existing profiles.  Presumably Chromium does not run in suid mode so it should not be able to modify any system files and leave a trace somewhere that will taint it later. But sure, why not, if you're paranoid about detritus leftover from the last time.

So did you try it?  Did it work?

#16 2024-07-15 22:49:10

Ron

quickfur wrote:
So did you try it?  Did it work?

Did it 3 days ago. So far all is well.

#17 2024-07-16 02:46:11

quickfur

Good to hear.

#18 2024-07-16 08:53:36

alexkemp

Why did you not apt-get purge chromium?

There is also BleachBit:

$ apt info bleachbit
Package: bleachbit
Version: 4.4.2-1
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Maintainer: Hugo Lefeuvre <hle@debian.org>
Installed-Size: 2,864 kB
Depends: gir1.2-gtk-3.0, gir1.2-notify-0.7, libgtk-3-0, pkexec, policykit-1, python3-chardet, python3-gi, python3-requests, python3:any
Homepage: https://www.bleachbit.org/
Tag: implemented-in::python, interface::graphical, interface::x11,
 role::program, scope::application, uitoolkit::gtk, x11::application
Download-Size: 479 kB
APT-Manual-Installed: yes
APT-Sources: http://deb.devuan.org/merged daedalus/main amd64 Packages
Description: delete unnecessary files from the system
 BleachBit deletes unnecessary files to free valuable disk space, maintain
 privacy, and remove junk. It removes cache, Internet history, temporary files,
 cookies, and broken shortcuts.
 It handles cleaning of Adobe Reader, Bash, Beagle, Epiphany, Firefox, Flash,
 GIMP, Google Earth, Java, KDE, OpenOffice.org, Opera, RealPlayer, rpmbuild,
 Second Life Viewer, VIM, XChat, and more.
 Beyond simply erasing junk files, BleachBit wipes free disk space (to hide
 previously deleted files for privacy and to improve compression of images),
 vacuums Firefox databases (to improve performance without deleting data), and
 securely shreds arbitrary files.

…but watch out. That *really* is scorched-earth action.

#19 2024-07-16 20:10:03

Ron

alexkemp wrote:
Why did you not apt-get purge chromium?

I will try that next time I need to completely remove something. Using Synaptic's "Complete Removal" option leaves a lot of leftover folders. So much for "Complete." hmm

Last edited by Ron (2024-07-16 20:11:21)

#20 2024-07-16 21:21:55

quickfur

I think usually "complete removal" removes only system files associated with a package. It won't get rid of things like cache files in users' home directories, etc..  Honestly, I don't think *any* existing packaging system does that. It seems rather heavy-handed (what if the user wanted to preserve preferences across reinstalls?).

If you really wanted to do something that extreme, I guess bleachbit is an option. :-D

Board footer